Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:

Can anyone tell me what happened to our second round pick this year? What was the deal?

Chopped it up for parts essentially.

Great trade IMO, allowed us to obviously grab Jones who we really wanted, also gave us the ammo to do the deals for Phillips and Cutler, get Cahill in and also strengthened our points hand this year with the NGA kids. If not they’re not bad picks in their own right.

Why is anyone talking about what we might get in a trade for Daniher?
No club will take seriously a threat to match their bid. Not when he would be wanting to leave for a 2nd consecutive year. And not when they know that we know that we can get a compo pick 7 (before possible Adel compo & NGA bids) by not matching.
Talk of getting a player and a first rounder is just dreaming.

Why is anyone talking about what we might get in a trade for Daniher?
No club will take seriously a threat to match their bid. Not when he would be wanting to leave for a 2nd consecutive year. And not when they know that we know that we can get a compo pick 7 (before possible Adel compo & NGA bids) by not matching.
Talk of getting a player and a first rounder is just dreaming.

The issue would be if they were offering a contract that only got a Band 2 (end of first round) selection, or worse, and EFC felt they’d do better at the trade table.

Likely given we’ve already got a 4 year offer on the table, the offer is sufficient for at least band 2 (approximately pick 20) compensation if not band 1 (pick 7). Which means depending what he’s offered and where he decides to go, we might discuss a trade if the contract he’s offered isn’t big enough for us to get decent RFA compensation.

There are a number of young mids drafted in recent years who could be available for a 2nd rounder or less. I hear names like Brodie, O'Halloran, Caldwell, Blakely, Constable, Robertson - I have no idea how good they are or how gettable they are.
But as a principle, you have a much better chance of success when picking someone who has had a year or two in the system rather than taking a punt on an 18yo draft pick. There has been mixed success recently with these types, most of whom have come from the GWS surplus of high drafted mids (Kennedy, Setterfield, Steele, Ahern). But if we could get one or more of these types, assuming we rate them, it might be a better way to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've see people mention Riley Collier-Dawkins. Is he not getting games at Tigers? ...and how gettable is he?

Pretty unlikely from what Tigs posters say.

There are a number of young mids drafted in recent years who could be available for a 2nd rounder or less. I hear names like Brodie, O'Halloran, Caldwell, Blakely, Constable, Robertson - I have no idea how good they are or how gettable they are.
But as a principle, you have a much better chance of success when picking someone who has had a year or two in the system rather than taking a punt on an 18yo draft pick. There has been mixed success recently with these types, most of whom have come from the GWS surplus of high drafted mids (Kennedy, Setterfield, Steele, Ahern). But if we could get one or more of these types, assuming we rate them, it might be a better way to go.

I actually wouldn't mind if we left a list spot open for the mid season draft next year. Although with Mozzie down already, we should have someone on the inactive list already.

In saying that, I don't mind the premise you are suggesing that we get in a somewhat developed kid rather than hit the draft. I doubt anyone is going to offer up or take token picks in such a difficult draft to select in.

Gold Coast declaring they are open to trading Peter Wright and Will Brodie.

If we were to lose Joe and Fantasia, keep Saad and then get those two in our structure remains solid. Then just need the coach and fitness staff to get the most out of the players.

I understand there’s some concern around our defence but I’m hopeful we get Ambrose back and the development of Ridley and Zerk-Thatcher we don’t go backwards too much with a declining Hooker and Hurley. Talia may be a stop gap for a couple of years as Zerk-Thatcher develops more.

Still hopeful we don’t have to go through 3 to 5 year “rebuild” to see some success.

Gold Coast putting 2MP and Brodie on the trade table. Not really keen on Brodie considering his defensive problems.

I wouldn't mind having a look at 2MP though.

Would kick the tyres on Wright, particularly of Joe leaves.

Brodie is a pass though, if anecdoctes about his inability to get around the ground are true

Any interest in Jake Carlisle? Or is he too old to target? He looks like he has a good 3 years left IMO.
Doubt we'd be interseted after everything that's happened but we went after Ryder last year so who knows.

Doubt we'd be interseted after everything that's happened but we went after Ryder last year so who knows.
I mean apart from that famous quote he hardly did us dirty. Kept an open mind about going to Hawthorne so that St. Kilda had to pay full price. He still played with a lot of the playing group (Langford, Daniher*, Merrett, Gleeson, Zaka, Raz*, Laverde*, Hurley, Heppell, Hooker, Ambrose, Walla**) and he fills a need for a few years as that 6'6" key defender that can actually move.

*Pending whether they stay or go
**Might have played a few games in the VFL with him? Probably not

Any interest in Jake Carlisle? Or is he too old to target? He looks like he has a good 3 years left IMO.
This ******g clu...err...player. He can nick right off. Reckon his back worse than he makes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back