Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
Townsend & Crauford delisted
Gleeson & Clarke similar with intent to rookie them.

Makes for an interesting draft strategy
Think this shows that we will take 5 picks at the draft. Would presume Mosqito goes on the LTI list which leaves us at 32 players. Minimum is 36 but with our picks I would presume we take 5 and then got spots for 2 rookies. Maybe just take 1 and leave a free spot for mid season draft.

Is it true Cutler had to trigger the second year of his deal, failed and will be delisted?
I think he tried to contact the club to trigger the second year but we kept ignoring his requests, pretended we weren’t there such as turned off lights when he come to the club, tried to take him off email list etc

Can one of the list gurus paint a simple picture on where our list numbers are at, number of players we need to draft etc under the reduced size?

Thanks.

Can one of the list gurus paint a simple picture on where our list numbers are at, number of players we need to draft etc under the reduced size?

Thanks.
6 senior list spots available
Zero rookie list spots

I take it this was before the info on Crauford and Townsend came to light earlier today, so now have 2 rookie spots
Nope. That was including the Gleeson and Clarke delistings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 senior list spots available
Zero rookie list spots
How did you get to that conclusion then?

We can have two more Category A rookies, as the max is 6 and we have 4 including Gleeson and Clarke. Senior list is 36-38.

The main limitation is that the overall list including all rookies is 44, so we can't have both 6 rookies and 6 seniors.

These are our possibilities:

38/4/2 <- 6 seniors and no available rookie spots
37/5/2 <- 5 seniors and 1 available rookie spot
36/6/2 <- 4 seniors and 2 available rookie spots

I think 37/5/2 is quite likely, which means we use 6, 7 and 8, take Brand and Eyre and still have a rookie spot left open to make use of the supplemental selection period or the mid-season draft.

Given the amount of players that are probably not going to get drafted next month, we will have opportunities to pick up some of the ones that would otherwise have been a bolter but didn't get the chance to show off this year. Likely some unlucky kid will breakout early next year and warrant a rookie spot.

Mozzie can be added to inactive list to give us a second stab at the SSP/mid-season drafts too, but I don't think we can put him on there before the national draft. There's no proof either way at this stage but I have a feeling that if we could have done that we would have, rather than demoting contracted players.

How did you get to that conclusion then?

We can have two more Category A rookies, as the max is 6 and we have 4 including Gleeson and Clarke. Senior list is 36-38.

The main limitation is that the overall list including all rookies is 44, so we can't have both 6 rookies and 6 seniors.

These are our possibilities:

38/4/2 <- 6 seniors and no available rookie spots
37/5/2 <- 5 seniors and 1 available rookie spot
36/6/2 <- 4 seniors and 2 available rookie spots

I think 37/5/2 is quite likely, which means we use 6, 7 and 8, take Brand and Eyre and still have a rookie spot left open to make use of the supplemental selection period or the mid-season draft.

Given the amount of players that are probably not going to get drafted next month, we will have opportunities to pick up some of the ones that would otherwise have been a bolter but didn't get the chance to show off this year. Likely some unlucky kid will breakout early next year and warrant a rookie spot.

Mozzie can be added to inactive list to give us a second stab at the SSP/mid-season drafts too, but I don't think we can put him on there before the national draft. There's no proof either way at this stage but I have a feeling that if we could have done that we would have, rather than demoting contracted players.
I thought it was 38/4/2 or 37/4/3 before with no wiggle room there.

I thought it was 38/4/2 or 37/4/3 before with no wiggle room there.

Change in List Size Numbers

Total List Sizes38-4737-44
Primary List38-4036-38
Category A Rookies0-60-6
Category B Rookies0-30-2

CURRENT AFL players will be asked to take a pay cut of around 3.5 per cent as part of wider cuts communicated on Wednesday.

It comes as the total salary cap – including the additional services agreements (ASA) – will be slashed by nine per cent next season from around $14.5m to $13.1m.

However, the reduction in list sizes, decrease for first-year players' salaries and ability to shift money into future years will consume much of the difference for current contracted players.

Players will be briefed later this week after their agents and key stakeholders were informed of the moves on Wednesday.

While a vote will be held to ratify the changes, it is expected to go through unopposed.

The changes are only in place for the 2021 season, with 2022 expected to revert to normal in what is the final season of the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

Players contracted beyond 2021 will have the opportunity to push up to five per cent of their salary into 2022 and 2023.

Those who re-signed after the AFL's pay freeze was lifted in July won't be required to take a cut unless it was agreed upon in their latest deal.

Players had been bracing of a cut around 10-15 per cent this year after taking a 29.2 per cent decrease on 2020 wages due to COVID-19.

The nine per cent reduction is only minimal compared to the football department spending which has been slashed from more than $9 million in 2020 to a little over $6 million next season.

The maximum list size for next year have been reduced from 47 to 44 which includes the ability to list up to two Category B rookies.

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up by as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four-to-six Category A rookies and two Category B rookies.

I’d rather get Kennedy than dunkley. Dunkley ain’t good and isn’t worth a senior list spot
He wasn't the worst in the VFL last year. Kennedy isn't good either.

I’d rather get Kennedy than dunkley. Dunkley ain’t good and isn’t worth a senior list spot
If it helps us get Josh Dunkley next year im all for it.

eDPS With all this talk about trading up in the draft, what do you think about trading down to get a couple late teens picks?

To me it doesn't seem like there are many good inside mid options in the top 10.

However if we traded down, it means we could get two inside mids like O'Driscoll, Poulter, Trew, Ford without reaching without having to reach.

If it helps us get Josh Dunkley next year im all for it.
I think the josh dunkley ship has sailed. If was a rookie spot fair enough, but Kyle hasn’t shown enough to be worthy of a senior list spot
He wasn't the worst in the VFL last year. Kennedy isn't good either.
Kennedy a much better player than Dunkley, didn’t mind some of the footy he has played for Carlton. Would he

eDPS With all this talk about trading up in the draft, what do you think about trading down to get a couple late teens picks?

To me it doesn't seem like there are many good inside mid options in the top 10.

However if we traded down, it means we could get two inside mids like O'Driscoll, Poulter, Trew, Ford without reaching without having to reach.
I like the idea of taking the 2 picks at 6&7 (Cox/Reid and Perkins) and then trading 8 with pies for 16 and F 1st and then taking either O'Driscoll or Poulter. Getting an extra F1 will be ideal especially if Dunkley is a trade option next year and if not we will 2 first rounders in what is reportedly a lot stronger draft.

I think the josh dunkley ship has sailed. If was a rookie spot fair enough, but Kyle hasn’t shown enough to be worthy of a senior list spot

Kennedy a much better player than Dunkley, didn’t mind some of the footy he has played for Carlton. Would he
Kennedy can't break into Carlton's inside group. Their second best inside mid is Ed Curnow and from there they have Setterfield (very average) and, well, nothing. Kennedy is not a "much better" player than Dunkley, there's a reason most Carlton supporters were happy to pawn him off to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back