Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Hoping we can select the right mature aged guy from the SANFL. Could name 3 who could come in and do a job. Duvaal looks highly promising and the one I like the most. Ask Harlequin Dream about other small/medium defenders in the SANFL.

Duval is the most well rounded, don't see any major red flags with him.

Mansell is great for his speed and his ability to set a tone with defensive actions and hardball gets.

Luke Parks is useful as someone who can play on tall and small, beating them in the air. 24 contested marks as a 19 year old is very impressive.

Steve94

Team Captain
Oct 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Duval is the most well rounded, don't see any major red flags with him.

Mansell is great for his speed and his ability to set a tone with defensive actions and hardball gets.

Luke Parks is useful as someone who can play on tall and small, beating them in the air. 24 contested marks as a 19 year old is very impressive.
Does Mansell play back flank? If so sounds like he'd fit our needs of adding pace in the backline whilst still having someone who can defend when needed.

Is a good size and the perfect age for who we should be targeting.

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Does Mansell play back flank? If so sounds like he'd fit our needs of adding pace in the backline whilst still having someone who can defend when needed.

Is a good size and the perfect age for who we should be targeting.
He played back flank/ small defender this year. His highlight videos give a reasonable glimpse of how he played.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
I'm assuming they knew this was happening ahead of time and it's why they did it.

Of course, that's me hoping the AFL is competent enough to give clubs a heads up before doing stuff like this. There's every chance they didn't decide to make this change until an hour and a half ago...
Nothing's official until list lodgement anyway, which is tomorrow.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Would be a good late pick up if we did draft someone other than Brand and Eyre late.

I'd prefer to play him in that half back role than Hind
We've got 6 spots so still have 1 spare if we use 6,7,8 and get Brand and Eyre. Might have 2 spots i believe if Mozzie goes on inactive/injury list thing. Small defender and a small foward from the SANFL would give us depth at worst. Best case scenario we find 2 good players.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
We've got 6 spots so still have 1 spare if we use 6,7,8 and get Brand and Eyre. Might have 2 spots i believe if Mozzie goes on inactive/injury list thing. Small defender and a small foward from the SANFL would give us depth at worst. Best case scenario we find 2 good players.
A Duvaal/Rose combo would fill those two roles we should be looking to address.

Jul 19, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
If we have 6 senior spots open then surely we put a call in to Robbie Fox's agent as a DFA.

Thats a brutal list call and played 14 games this year as a medium defender and started to look decent

:moustache: :moustache: :moustache: :moustache: :moustache:

i can't see this
what add-in / plug in do i need to see twitter posts embedded?
Turn off your content blockers. You're probably blocking the twitter cookie/tracker so it's not working.

Dons4Life

Senior List
May 22, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it’s important this year to keep 1 spot available for the mid season drafts. A few really good players are going to go undrafted this year that didn’t get the chance to show massive improvement in their senior season. Guys like Oliver who came out of nowhere in their final season. We need to have the availability on our list to be able to have a crack and one of these players.

Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it’s important this year to keep 1 spot available for the mid season drafts. A few really good players are going to go undrafted this year that didn’t get the chance to show massive improvement in their senior season. Guys like Oliver who came out of nowhere in their final season. We need to have the availability on our list to be able to have a crack and one of these players.
Mid season draftees normally go on the rookie list yeah?

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Good thinking. I wonder if the AFL will restrict eligibility for the midseason draft to players who are not taking advantage of the overage year to protect the draft.

Dons4Life

Senior List
May 22, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Good thinking. I wonder if the AFL will restrict eligibility for the midseason draft to players who are not taking advantage of the overage year to protect the draft.
From what I have heard/read it will be players overlooked in draft his year and previous years, but players have to nominate their eligibility at a certain point of the year.

Keep an open spot for McKenna to come back and help us in finals.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
From what I have heard/read it will be players overlooked in draft his year and previous years, but players have to nominate their eligibility at a certain point of the year.
I wonder if those players will nominate after all it’s a 6 month rookie contract with no guarantees - look what happened to cody hirst. If they hold off 6 more months they might get themselves a nice 2 years senior list contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back