Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:

I'll re post this in here but a starting point for discussion

38 + 2 (cat A rookies) on the cards

Probably late to the conversation with this.

Currently had 41 senior listed + 4 (Cat A) rookies

That means we need to move on 5 (+ McKenna included) off the senior list and 2 rookies moved on.

The out of contract guys still are;

Important guys
Joe Daniher - 1 year
Kyle Langford - 2 years
Andrew McGrath - 3 years
Jordan Ridley - 3 years

Time to move on;
Josh Begley - Delist
Tom Bellchambers - Retire
Jayden Laverde - Delist
Kobe Mutch - Delist

Conor McKena - Retire

If we don't trade a contracted player (looks at Fantasia, Francis, Parish, Daniher) we would then need to find one more player to move on from;

Henry Crauford - (I would go one more year)
Martin Gleeson - (1 year)
Noah Gown - (1 year)
Brayden Ham - (2 years)
Irving Mosquitto - (1 year)
James Stewart - 1 year
to fit the quota suggested of 38 + 2.

Of the rookies, Hibberd has been wasted this year, no point holding onto him if we won't play him. Townesend has not worked out as well as we thought. If we can keep Snelling on the rookie list one more year, that would offset the need to move on a senior listed player to upgrade Will to the senior list.

If we could, then perhaps we downgrade Dylan Clarke and upgrade Snelling who has surprised me this year.

I'll re post this in here but a starting point for discussion
I'd give Daniher 2 years and you're missing Phillips, McKernan, Saad, Townsend and Cutler

I'd give Daniher 2 years and you're missing Phillips, McKernan, Saad, Townsend and Cutler

To be fair, I was using the Essendon BigFooty Current Contract thread

S
o much conjecture about Phillips, is it one year, is it two. Ditto Cutler. McKernan was an oversite on my behalfm ditto Saad.

Probably makes list management decision making a bit easier if those three (not Saad included) were out of contract at years end. All three would probably be shown the exit door.

To be fair, I was using the Essendon BigFooty Current Contract thread
S
o much conjecture about Phillips, is it one year, is it two. Ditto Cutler. McKernan was an oversite on my behalfm ditto Saad.

Probably makes list management decision making a bit easier if those three (not Saad included) were out of contract at years end. All three would probably be shown the exit door.
Phillips is definitely 1, there is literally nothing to say he has 2 years and 3 or 4 sources saying he has 1, I haven't seen anything suggesting Cutler is contracted beyond this year, but he could be.

Phillips is definitely 1, there is literally nothing to say he has 2 years and 3 or 4 sources saying he has 1, I haven't seen anything suggesting Cutler is contracted beyond this year, but he could be.
if they are both on 1 years, that makes life much easier.

My outs for list management purposes would be;

OUT;

Josh Begley, Tom Bellchambers, Jayden Laverde, Kobe Mutch, Andrew Phillips, Tom Cutler, Conor McKena (Retire)

I would be trying to facilitate a trade for Fantasia, open up a list spot and not be pressured into moving on one of the younger guys we haven't seen enough of yet.

if they are both on 1 years, that makes life much easier.

My outs for list management purposes would be;

OUT;

Josh Begley, Tom Bellchambers, Jayden Laverde, Kobe Mutch, Andrew Phillips, Tom Cutler, Conor McKena (Retire)

I would be trying to facilitate a trade for Fantasia, open up a list spot and not be pressured into moving on one of the younger guys we haven't seen enough of yet.
Think its time for McKernan as well. He's had plenty of chances and not delivered so we should be giving our younger guys those chances. Townsend should go as well, Phillips id keep as insurance if there was a free spot

Think its time for McKernan as well. He's had plenty of chances and not delivered so we should be giving our younger guys those chances. Townsend should go as well, Phillips id keep as insurance if there was a free spot

Id forgotten Smack, would just allow us the ability to upgrade Snelling if Smack is moved on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's 38 and 2 Cat A I'd go with:

3+ years: Saad, Ridley, McGrath, Langford
2 years: Snelling, Daniher, Ham
1 year: Phillips, Gown, Crauford, Mosquito, Hibberd, Stewart and Gleeson (both trigger second)

Delist: Townsend, Laverde, Begley, Mutch, McKernan, Cutler
Retire: Bellchambers, McKenna

So that's 39 but 2 are Category B rookies. Promote Snelling and Hibberd, Crauford and McBride? I think, as the Category A rookies. So three draft spots for O'Driscoll hopefully and our two academy lads before any trades

1 year: Phillips, Gown, Crauford, Mosquito, Hibberd, Stewart and Gleeson (both trigger second)

So that's 39 but 2 are Category B rookies. Promote Snelling and Hibberd, Crauford and McBride? I think, as the Category A rookies. So three draft spots for O'Driscoll hopefully and our two academy lads before any trades
May as well give Mozzie 2 years, we are not going to keep him on the list for 1 year, get him fixed then delist.
Also I don't rate Gown, but I know you do. Otherwise looks good.

May as well give Mozzie 2 years, we are not going to keep him on the list for 1 year, get him fixed then delist.
Also I don't rate Gown, but I know you do. Otherwise looks good.
I'm not fussed with Mozzie getting 1 or 2 years.

Gown has shown enough to get 1 extra year, the kid was basically our only key forward in the VFL last year and kicked 1.5 goals/game with a couple of 4 goal games. It's not as if I'm saying he should get 3 years, I'm saying one more year.

If we end up with a top 6-7 pick I doubt we’ll take O’Driscoll. Recruiters always worry about kids that aren’t a great kick and they always seems to drift back.

If we end up with a top 6-7 pick I doubt we’ll take O’Driscoll. Recruiters always worry about kids that aren’t a great kick and they always seems to drift back.
Don't care. He's our man.

If will Phillips is there at our pick, watch us take him. To be honest I wouldn’t be against it, if we find a taller mid during trade week.
I would be dismayed if we picked Phillips. Regardless of what happens in trade week.

Our list is not that bad but unfortunately its hard to trust the club in making the right decisions. You get it right in the off season and you never know what can happen.

We need to get rid of as much dead wood as we can and start again. We must give the youth as many opportunities as we can.
On the other hand i feel we need more experience in some areas of the ground.
If would love to bring in a player like Gunston if we could get him cheap. His dad was our CEO and is an essendon person. He is very smart around goal and would be perfect to teach our youngsters where to lead and how to kick. I know this is very unlikely and most would probably be against it but just a thought.

4 years: Ridley and McGrath
3 years: Saad and Langford
2 years: Daniher
1 year: Ham, Snelling, Gown, Crauford, Mosquito, Stewart and Gleeson

Delist: Townsend, Begley, Mutch, McKernan, Cutler, Hibberd
Re-Rookie: Phillips
Trade: Laverde and Zaka
Retire: Bellchambers, McKenna, Hooker

Draft: Phillips, Hollands, O'Driscoll and Perkins (in that order, and yes I really rate Phillips despite his size.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back