Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:

Bains forgets the Carlisle deal and what he said then it seems, no way pick 5 was coming iirc?
Not quite what he said. He said direct swap and it got twisted to become no pick 5.

Well if there’s one thing we’ve learnt from the Joe Daniher scenario it’s that if a player wants to be traded you should trade him. It’s in the Dogs best interests to trade Dunks, obviously for fair value of course, but they would certainly be getting good value for him.

Who are you thinking? I’m not sold on 2MP but not sure there are many alternatives on our radar...

Mihocek for me

I think he can play forward for the next 3 years whilst H.Jones and Bryan develop and then go to the backline at the end of his career if required.

His durability is elite and he hasn't been AFL battered since be was 18 and I'd be confident he wants to get every inch out of himself

He's looking for a pay day I think it's something we can offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah i don't like our chances here

Will depend on how stubborn the dogs are and what we're prepared to offer. Given we've apparently made a godfather offer you'd hope the club is serious about getting the deal done if it's at all possible.

Its very hard to see Dunkley happening. Overs would be a must. Some sort of pick package that we can swap for bulldogs 12 this year, in their favour, that nets them a couple of decent picks (2nd rounders) after matching a JUH bid. Plus our future 1st likely to be a top 6 pick in a better draft. Plus maybe get some more clubs involved if the dogs are looking for a player or 2. Completely on Essendon to make it happen whatever it ends up being.

Will depend on how stubborn the dogs are and what we're prepared to offer. Given we've apparently made a godfather offer you'd hope the club is serious about getting the deal done if it's at all possible.
the issue is, the dogs can just ride it out. like, people will be tempted to compare to Daniher and Fantasia and how we should have moved them on last season, but they wanted to move interstate for non football reasons. Dunkley wants to move inside Melbourne because he didn't get midfield time. If I'm the Dogs, I don't see much reason (at this point. More info could come out) to move him on unless I get a really good deal, which we probably can't really offer, because there's plenty of time to get him back on board at the Dogs

the issue is, the dogs can just ride it out. like, people will be tempted to compare to Daniher and Fantasia and how we should have moved them on last season, but they wanted to move interstate for non football reasons. Dunkley wants to move inside Melbourne because he didn't get midfield time. If I'm the Dogs, I don't see much reason (at this point. More info could come out) to move him on unless I get a really good deal, which we probably can't really offer, because there's plenty of time to get him back on board at the Dogs

Of course they can, he's contracted. But they run the risk of having a player who doesn't want to be there and also that in two years time he walks and they get a lot less. That said, I see it as a longshot.

Its hard to see Dunkley happening, but * .. throw everything we can at it. We have traded in good players but arguably none we *really* needed for awhile. Dunkley is exactly what we need and in the right age bracket to - go all in. And if we can get 2MP and Caldwell as well, I'll consider that happy days for losing Joe, Raz, and Saad. Even if we have Dunkley and Caldwell but no real targets for them to kick to (especially if Stewart goes down) stuff it, get them in anyways and look at the forward line next time when your midfield is more settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back