Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I feel like that at a minimum they must be close enough to the cap as a result of bringing in Treloar that it messes up their future list management as much as it did for Collingwood's. Worst case what Collingwood is offering puts them over the cap in some years.

Why else would they be arguing over a few $100k a year in player payments a week after trade period officially ended?

I don't understand how, or why the AFL allows clubs to negotiate the finer details of deals till days/weeks after the trade period has finished. I mean clubs have probably been talking for a little while you would assume. Although Collingwood did blindside a few of there (ex) boys this trade period so wouldn't have given them much time to negotiate a fair monetary trade between the two clubs.

Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't understand how, or why the AFL allows clubs to negotiate the finer details of deals till days/weeks after the trade period has finished. I mean clubs have probably been talking for a little while you would assume. Although Collingwood did blindside a few of there (ex) boys this trade period so wouldn't have given them much time to negotiate a fair monetary trade between the two clubs.

I’m not sure why we “ran out of time” to negotiate the trade for Dunkley but these two clubs have had an extra two weeks.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I floated this idea about a week ago. I don't see why you wouldn't take a chance on a 1. 5 goal again forward. Frees stringer up more if they want to play him mid more often. As a 2nd or 3rd tall. Without the pressure of the 2 1sts stigma that saw him sit out a year I think he could be a handy acquisition. Rookie list him. Pay him base rookie rate with performance incentives and then if he's a bust really nothing lost.
You wouldn’t take a chance because he’s disinterested and half assed and we don’t need to add that into our culture. Raw talent is beside the point.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I feel like that at a minimum they must be close enough to the cap as a result of bringing in Treloar that it messes up their future list management as much as it did for Collingwood's. Worst case what Collingwood is offering puts them over the cap in some years.

Why else would they be arguing over a few $100k a year in player payments a week after trade period officially ended?
fu**, Imagine the Dogs go over the salary cap because of bringing in Treloar. Being able to put a few Dogs supporters back in there place would be glorious. The smugness they have is somewhat bewildering.
I dont think this year will be the year where it hurts them.
Like i said earlier it was an impulse buy but they would have some ability to fit him in for 2021. The crunch will come next year.

Bontempelli, Liberatore, Jong, Wallis, Bailey Williams, Lipinski, Ed Richards and the promising Lewis Young are all out of contract in 2021. All of them are young enough and good enough to expect a decent pay rise. Some obviously more than others.

Treloar will still be being paid 650-700k by the Bulldogs at least. That is a boatload to take on that they wouldnt have expected to 12 months ago.
By keeping Dunkley they lost the flexibility to extend and pay all of the guys above. And so they are odds on to lose at least some of them, or another contracted player or two next year potentially.

The article states there is a specific year in dispute between Collingwood and WBD, and I would hedge a bet it is a year from 2022 onwards, and the Bulldogs are trying to maintain as much flexibility as they can to keep as many of the above as they can.

It may have already been mentioned but I read an article, forgot where, suggesting Essendon look at Cam McCarthy.

I thought at GWS he was going to become a star. I take it he has some unfortunate issues between his ears but I’d be ok picking him up as a DFA.

Him or Dayle Garlett please.

at least he had speed :cool:
Unlike Willie Rioli who was unusually chill

Ati Tude

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I floated this idea about a week ago. I don't see why you wouldn't take a chance on a 1. 5 goal again forward. Frees stringer up more if they want to play him mid more often. As a 2nd or 3rd tall. Without the pressure of the 2 1sts stigma that saw him sit out a year I think he could be a handy acquisition. Rookie list him. Pay him base rookie rate with performance incentives and then if he's a bust really nothing lost.
But we got Peter Wright

We have an extra 2 years (until he is a RFA)...
He won’t be an RFA, just out of contract as a 6th year player. Need eight years for any sort of free agency.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
It may have already been mentioned but I read an article, forgot where, suggesting Essendon look at Cam McCarthy.

I thought at GWS he was going to become a star. I take it he has some unfortunate issues between his ears but I’d be ok picking him up as a DFA.

Oh lawd s**t no. Agreed he looked good at the giants, but he is so far gone an AFL footballer it’s not even funny. Unfit, lazy & self entitled, I’d sooner get back Smack or M Brown.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why we “ran out of time” to negotiate the trade for Dunkley but these two clubs have had an extra two weeks.
The trade paperwork is in, just some finer details on the contracts and salary caps before it can be ratified.

I expect asking for a bit of extra time to negotiate contracts when the trade is done in principle and both clubs agree is a bit easier than what we’d be asking for in the Dunkley situation.

If we take him I’m running away and never coming back! Never!!!

Mate just told me we want to put Jack Watts through a fitness test as we are considering him.
My mates source is his friend who works out at the same gym, grain of salt stuff.

Christ no. We should not be recycling has beens and never weres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back