List Mgmt. Trade: Geelong receives Mitch Clark from Melbourne and sends Travis Varcoe to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Varcoe 20th most effective? LOL. The summary of the match said all 3 new recruits Crisp GW and Varcoe shown promise and were good additions to the team HAHAHA

Any small senior player that only gathers 14 possessions with a low effective % as well as giving up 3 or 4 frees against has not played a blinder!
I know people on here pant over him, but again, it's nothing to write home to mummy about!
That's all I'm saying, so good on him but if that's his best he won't last to long imo! Jack Crisp and GW?, they've never been on $600k a year.

Mitch Clarke is way more valuable to us moving forward, imo we've already won the deal.

Last edited:
Any small senior player that only gathers 14 possessions with a low effective % as well as giving up 3 or 4 frees against has not played a blinder!
I know people on here pant over him, but again, it's nothing to write home to mummy about!
That's all I'm saying, so good on him but if that's his best he won't last to long imo! Jack Crisp and GW?, they've never been on $600k a year.

Would you just STFU ?
He's gone and you're still bitching about him like a whiny twat

FFS Mods card this muppet everytime he brings up his racist hate for Varcoe & Bates

I think I have been tolerant , I'd much prefer us talk on our current players rather than our previous one playing for another club. It was a TRADE thread yet there seems to me little trade talk here.

There is a Clark thread. Take the Clark talk there.
I do not like the personal stuff, it doesn't do anyone due credit. IF one really wants to talk about NON Geelong player there is thread for that as well , take the NoN Geelong players talk there but be warned ... Troll is a card offence , .....

Troll can be defined as ...
In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3]or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

so work it out , there is a lot errors both side in the last few pages , from a lot of posters that should just pause and take a breath.

I know Travis Varcoe had a few critics here (especially Son Of Meto), but I think he was unfairly criticised a lot of the time.

In the 2009 GF, he caught the ball off the pack and handballed to Paul Chapman, who kicked the winning goal.

In the 2011 GF, he kicked two early goals, and a third when he started up the backline, ran down the wing, recieved it and passed it off again, and then bobbed up in the forward line and kicked a goal, showing his work ethic.

He has gone to Collingwood and been a very good player for them. Also, in that three-way trade, Varcoe is the one who is still at his club and the Magpies ended up winning the trade.

He is also great at applying forward pressure, and tackling in the forward line, something sorely missing from our current team.

Yet Varcoe got unfairly maligned, like getting blamed for missing the goal in the 2013 PF, when a goal would have just levelled the scores, and we were stuffed while Hawthorn were fresher, and they would have beaten us in extra time anyway.

I think it is long overdue for some of you to admit that you were wrong about Varcoe, the club was wrong to trade him, and Son Of Meto needs to acknowledge that he was wrong.

It was a bad trade in hindsight, but it's not exactly been a huge disaster/problem.

The problem is/was/remains several drafts that didn't yield what we needed from them that have left us in a bit of an awkward position. Bless his cotton socks but Varcoe can't help with that.

Varcoe's output has been on the slide even at Collingwood, but he was no doubts the pick of the three to provide an output in that trade deal...

We took the most risk with Clark in that trade, but the reward payoff could've been huge. He just couldn't get it together mentally.

I know Travis Varcoe had a few critics here (especially Son Of Meto), but I think he was unfairly criticised a lot of the time.

In the 2009 GF, he caught the ball off the pack and handballed to Paul Chapman, who kicked the winning goal.

In the 2011 GF, he kicked two early goals, and a third when he started up the backline, ran down the wing, recieved it and passed it off again, and then bobbed up in the forward line and kicked a goal, showing his work ethic.

He has gone to Collingwood and been a very good player for them. Also, in that three-way trade, Varcoe is the one who is still at his club and the Magpies ended up winning the trade.

He is also great at applying forward pressure, and tackling in the forward line, something sorely missing from our current team.

Yet Varcoe got unfairly maligned, like getting blamed for missing the goal in the 2013 PF, when a goal would have just levelled the scores, and we were stuffed while Hawthorn were fresher, and they would have beaten us in extra time anyway.

I think it is long overdue for some of you to admit that you were wrong about Varcoe, the club was wrong to trade him, and Son Of Meto needs to acknowledge that he was wrong.

You are correct, but several years late to the party. He's one that was shopped around a bit and the trade looked ok at the time but turned out badly. Contrast that with mots who we tried to offload a couple of times unsuccessfully before he walked as a FA who we should have got nothing for but somehow turned that into both Kelly and Ablett.

You win some you lose some and on the whole cats have won more trades than lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Varcoe is the one that got away. However, he needed to get away. Not sure if he'd become complacent at Geelong, whether he was played out of position or whether he was just injury plagued. Anyway, I'd love to have the current Varcoe playing in the blue & white hoops and am glad he will be remembered as a dual Cats premiership player

He did some good things in the two grand finals that you mentioned and we are all thankful for that. But over a 23 round season no thanks Trav.

And we also needed to let him go to get much needed game time into cowan and da hyphen.

Anyway good luck in all your future endeavors Trav.

Last edited:
Varcoe can be a good player ( burst player ) in a good team

In the last qtr of last years GF - he didnt touch the ball - he can be so frustrating - just doesnt get the ball enough - sure the goal in the last qtr was a beauty and broke Collingwoods back - but then again Shannon Byrnes who was an average player - he doesnt play that last qtr in the 09 GF - then Geel dont win

Idont think Varcoe is that good an allround footballer - and what i base that on - is a game against Pt Ade - at Ade Oval - - they put Varcoe in the centre circle - on the ball - and he got absolutely annihilated by his direct opponent- had no idea of winning the ball or beating his opponent

How would Varcoe go on a hff in a poor side like Carlton

Varcoe can be a good player ( burst player ) in a good team

In the last qtr of last years GF - he didnt touch the ball - he can be so frustrating - just doesnt get the ball enough - sure the goal in the last qtr was a beauty and broke Collingwoods back - but then again Shannon Byrnes who was an average player - he doesnt play that last qtr in the 09 GF - then Geel dont win

Idont think Varcoe is that good an allround footballer - and what i base that on - is a game against Pt Ade - at Ade Oval - - they put Varcoe in the centre circle - on the ball - and he got absolutely annihilated by his direct opponent- had no idea of winning the ball or beating his opponent

How would Varcoe go on a hff in a poor side like Carlton
This is true.
All players have their strengths.
Some expect every player to get dirty under packs, but players like Trav are just as important.
As long as they play their role, and play to their strengths.
It's why several current Geelong players cop it, just like Trav did in his years with us.

I was going to say ..why ? ... but I see you merged threads... old one as I think I must have closed it when a mod.
yup... dont need it in two places.

Been done to death already and this will go the same shortly.....

GO Catters

yup... dont need it in two places.

Been done to death already and this will go the same shortly.....

GO Catters

One can only hope mate. Otherwize lets have history101 thread .. I have question about that time we let Ken Newland go to and then come back or what about Lindsay White thru the war ... :rolleyes:

Nah. Who we traded him for was ridiculous.
But his time was up with us. Was time to go.
Agree that Pies certainly won that trade though.

Varcoe was due to be a free agent in 12 mths and we would have got no compo pick for him as we had danger and scoot coming the year later. In hindsight a 2nd rounder for varcoe might have been of more use to us than Clark but Clark did play some very good footy for us when fit and we still havent really replaced Pods kpf wise so I can see why we went for it even though it didnt work out.

Yeah nah. His time was over here. His form was terrible.

The trade didn’t work out for us but he wasn’t much of a loss.
Incorrect, he was near our best in the second half of his last year with us, including finals. He was finally over his injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back