List Mgmt. Trade: Geelong trades Round One compensation and No. 55 selection to Gold Coast for Josh Caddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Rosso, so you feel confident we will get Caddy, Rivers and probably McIntosh?

I guess if we could also nab someone like Troy Menzel on top of it, we have done very well

So do we only give prizes for the draft comp or does my free agency / trade prediction entitle me to anything other than bragging rights???

So do we only give prizes for the draft comp or does my free agency / trade prediction entitle me to anything other than bragging rights???
You should get a little crystal ball logo under your name. or a Melbourne logo with a red line through it :D

Fyfe is a jet mate ;)
If Smedts turns out like him considering Fyfe is only 21 then we got something bloody special.
I was referring to his kicking skills. while a jet, at the moment Fyfe is a horrible kick of the footy. so if he has a fair way to go to get to fyfe levels on his kicking then he is probably at tenace like levels currently

I was referring to his kicking skills. while a jet, at the moment Fyfe is a horrible kick of the footy. so if he has a fair way to go to get to fyfe levels on his kicking then he is probably at tenace like levels currently

He's obviously better already than Tenace; but he certainly had some Tenace-like moments in the backline before they moved him forward.

Smedts had played no senior football before last year, having played schoolboy football before being drafted and then unable to get on the field in his first year due to injury.

Hardly surprising that he would be caught out by the intensity of AFL level football. So much less time to decide on the options, meant his delivery suffered early on. He needs to keep working on his game, but Smedts has a very bright future. Should be in our best 22 by seasons end....

ok fair enough, yeh' I guess his kicking isn't all that good after all.
Tenace must have been lazy, he had the talent but just didn't make it click like most do after 3 or 4 years.

Smedts had played no senior football before last year, having played schoolboy football before being drafted and then unable to get on the field in his first year due to injury.

Hardly surprising that he would be caught out by the intensity of AFL level football. So much less time to decide on the options, meant his delivery suffered early on. He needs to keep working on his game, but Smedts has a very bright future. Should be in our best 22 by seasons end....

Yes, he developed very quickly, especially as a pressure forward, and has prospects of becoming a permanent next season.

Back from a 3 week red card, but I have to say I am super excited about the trades the club has made so far. Caddy will be a gun for the future and with the additions of HMac and Rivers for next year I can't wait for round one to come around.

I've read on the main board opposition supporters thinking that HMac and Rivers were bad moves as they will take the spots of some young kids, but as far as I'm concerned, in 10 years+ time when we look back on this team with stars like Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, Enright, Corey, etc, still running around in 2013, I don't want to imagine what could have been had we attempted one last hurrah. So even if things don't turn out so well next year, this team sure as hell isn't going to die wondering. :thumbsu:

So even if things don't turn out so well next year, this team sure as hell isn't going to die wondering. :thumbsu:
Exactly, as long as there are no crazy Vossy moves down the road o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Combination of liking every Hawks post and making a rather innocent comment. :rolleyes:

I 'liked' the post slamming people 'liking' every post bagging the hawks and got a red myself, and as you were the main offender can I just take this opportunity to thank you on behalf of my kids for the extra time spent together over the school holidays :p

Touchy lot the poo and wee.

I 'liked' the post slamming people 'liking' every post bagging the hawks and got a red myself, and as you were the main offender can I just take this opportunity to thank you on behalf of my kids for the extra time spent together over the school holidays :p

Touchy lot the poo and wee.
It was my pleasure. :cool:

Back from a 3 week red card, but I have to say I am super excited about the trades the club has made so far. Caddy will be a gun for the future and with the additions of HMac and Rivers for next year I can't wait for round one to come around.

I've read on the main board opposition supporters thinking that HMac and Rivers were bad moves as they will take the spots of some young kids, but as far as I'm concerned, in 10 years+ time when we look back on this team with stars like Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, Enright, Corey, etc, still running around in 2013, I don't want to imagine what could have been had we attempted one last hurrah. So even if things don't turn out so well next year, this team sure as hell isn't going to die wondering. :thumbsu:

Got me beat... i only pissed Grizz off for a 1 week siesta....

Glad to have you back...

GO Catters

I have been waching several replays and have not been impressed with Caddy.
I think his upside is not that great compared to many players on our list. He is not ranked an A grade player to date.
I do not see why he is more highly rated then some of our players like H-S, Sherington etc

He does not seem to get in there as an inside mid to get the ball. Often he looks like he is out of position
When he does get it he seems to lower his site too often and give off a crappy handball.
His team mates did not use him too often, was this because they new he was leaving?
He does not get a lot of possessions during the game.

He has to be retrained the Geelong way
The club were pleased to get him so lets see.

GG above, I watched the Gold Coast replay this morning as well. Few things, I agree his contested work is below average in some areas, in particular his positioning. But remember this is a Gold Coast team with very little structure who appear to be entirely focused on Ablett. I think that sort of thing can be taught, would love Lingy to work with him one on one as he was the master at stoppage positioning.

He moves a lot better than the Geelong players you mention and has far better physical presence.

I have also seen him do some very classy things around goal and he gets his hands free in he tackle nicely.

Inside midfielders develop a little slower than outside midfielders, unless they are exceptional like Judd and Selwood.

Only have to look at three of the best from this year, Kennedy, Watson and Thompson, all made pretty slow starts to their career.

Caddy will improve steadily. I am delighted we secured him.

I think his upside is not that great compared to many players on our list. He is not ranked an A grade player to date.
I do not see why he is more highly rated then some of our players like H-S, Sherington etc

He does not seem to get in there as an inside mid to get the ball. Often he looks like he is out of position
When he does get it he seems to lower his site too often and give off a crappy handball.
His team mates did not use him too often, was this because they new he was leaving?

Harsh on a 21 year old. This isnt like Travis Boak, he's not going to be Selwood and Kellys 2nd hand man. To be honest he showed more than smedts coming back from an injury interrupted year. All of his problems can be fixed now that he is within our structure.

Geez give him a break.. Spent 2011 injured and played the last 2 games of the season... Didn't have a pre season this year either..

And If I recall he spent most of this year playing forward rather then the mids because he was unfit to run out a full game.

He also was GC's 3rd highest possession getter for the year.

From the games I have seen he is very classy with the ball in close and seems to move really well through traffic with strength and poise.

Obviously he was not going to dominate in 2012, he is at the exact same stage as smedts. Both injured pretty much all year in 2011 and showed glimpses in 2012, without having the tank to do it for 4 quarters.

Bit harsh to judge him otherwise, he isn't going to come out averaging 25 possies selwood style as hardly any player does that.

However, as Chris Scott mentioned, caddy is just about as credentialed (and as talented) as any of our young players. Even comparing hs and sheringham to caddy is ridiculous. Caddy has shown much more than those players. I would have caddy up there with menzel vardy Duncan and bundy as our most promising young players.

Let's see how caddy goes in 2013 with better more snr players around him after a proper preseason.. I'm sure you'll be in for a pleasent surprise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back