List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton trade 24/25 to sydney for 12, maybe gold coast accepts 1,12 and carltons 2019 second for picks 2 and 3 from gold coast. Carlton can keep 2, we get 3 for shiel.
I can see Sydney doing that, but I'd be surprised if Gold Coast would want to swap out two such high picks. (And other clubs have picks that would be more attractive to Sydney for their points value than Carlton's.)

Ultimately, if Shiel does nominate Carlton, we'll get a glimpse of whether there is a salary cap issue in regards whether we do accept a future first or take it to the brink for an early pick this year ('cos, yeah, prising the #1 pick from Carlton is pretty unlikely in my view).

I can see Sydney doing that, but I'd be surprised if Gold Coast would want to swap out two such high picks. (And other clubs have picks that would be more attractive to Sydney for their points value than Carlton's.)

Ultimately, if Shiel does nominate Carlton, we'll get a glimpse of whether there is a salary cap issue in regards whether we do accept a future first or take it to the brink for an early pick this year ('cos, yeah, prising the #1 pick from Carlton is pretty unlikely in my view).
I find it hard to believe we couldn't juggle payments into future years if necessary. There a lot of re-signings next year and lots of options to back end contracts with the players agreement. Some may not be happy to, players with a mortgage might incur interest costs for example. Some it might suit.

Long term it's like racking up a debt that will go on forever without structural change though. Presumably at some point the goal will be to pay the list within the cap sustainably, and stay bit flexible in the future. We are in a position we will never be in again though.

The offers Shiel has been reportedly receiving would guarrantee band 1 comp next year. A first round pick after our first pick. On this years ladder position pick 12 I think. Bottom line any trade has to be better than a year of his services and pick 12 in 2019 or there's no reason to do it, I think.

There is no way Sydney would do that.

For Hawthorn to get the O'Meara trade across the line in 2016 and meet GC's demands by getting a first round draft pick in 2016; they gave away picks 23 and 36 in 2016 plus their future first round pick in 2017 (ultimately pick 7). The reality is that picks in the current season are worth substantially more than future picks.

There is no way Sydney would do that.
I'd suggest you're forgetting about Nick Blakey. Sydney aren't using their first round draft pick at face value, but are going to have to match for a pick on Nick Blakey, certainly in the top 10 & I think probably top 5 or 6. That would take out their pick #12 and send their second round pick tumbling. The suggested trade would give them enough extra points to see them keep (or at least mitigate the damage to) (currently) pick #31. But the follow-on trade to GCS wouldn't happen. There's a suggestion on your board about trading your future pick for pick #5 if May goes to Melbourne (via Hogan to Freo, Neale to Brisbane trades). That might happen if GCS think bringing in so many kids from early in the draft this year is too much.

Last edited:
AFL site saying Lobb more likely to choose freo.

Is he any good? Better as number one ruck or more forward ruck?

What’s the consensus in terms of what it would take to get a trade done?

AFL site saying Lobb more likely to choose freo. Is he any good? Better as number one ruck or more forward ruck? What’s the consensus in terms of what it would take to get a trade done?
Yes, he's a very decent contested mark. Probably a forward/ruck rather than ruck/forward. But we've planned to make him our primary ruck - this year (with a disrupted offseason) was his first as primary ruck, so still scope to improve. Good second KPF & relief ruck I'd say. The trade value will be the rub. I'm sure Freo will want to pay a future second rounder, and I'm sure we will want something better, and probably this year (where Freo has bugger all picks). Depending on what happens with Neale & Hogan, I could see GWS perhaps asking for a swap of first rounders to get value. (Not necessarily the current pick.) Could get acrimonious again, although Lobb will have generated greater goodwill than McCarthy did and appears to have GWS's OK to talk, but we'd still want reasonable value. It might depend on if the Mumford rumours prove to be true - if so, we might be a little more willing to defer a price until next year.

Yes, he's a very decent contested mark. Probably a forward/ruck rather than ruck/forward. But we've planned to make him our primary ruck - this year (with a disrupted offseason) was his first as primary ruck, so still scope to improve. Good second KPF & relief ruck I'd say. The trade value will be the rub. I'm sure Freo will want to pay a future second rounder, and I'm sure we will want something better, and probably this year (where Freo has bugger all picks). Depending on what happens with Neale & Hogan, I could see GWS perhaps asking for a swap of first rounders to get value. (Not necessarily the current pick.) Could get acrimonious again, although Lobb will have generated greater goodwill than McCarthy did and appears to have GWS's OK to talk, but we'd still want reasonable value. It might depend on if the Mumford rumours prove to be true - if so, we might be a little more willing to defer a price until next year.

So because I have a foot in both camps this is what I think.

Freo have a lot of talls that can play ruck. Too many. I reckon a tall could be on the table as well as a pick.

GWS want some players right now so this could be why

So because I have a foot in both camps this is what I think.

Freo have a lot of talls that can play ruck. Too many. I reckon a tall could be on the table as well as a pick.

GWS want some players right now so this could be why
Interesting.

With our cap it would be either someone cheap or salary would be paid by freo.

Any ideas who might be up?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Interesting with some of the moves from the weekend
Gaff re-signing effects the available picks and salary for a Lobb deal and also Kelly pretty much nominating the Eagles limits the options but not sure if the Dogs will keep Roughead with Adams leaving
And then for Freo Neale likely to go to Brisbane after they signed his mate McCarthy so they have enough to go after Hogan and how that deal effects heir chase of Lobb

I wanted to write about Kelly and how hard North will come next year and I hope that the club can get the signatures early in the year

Interesting with some of the moves from the weekend
Gaff re-signing effects the available picks and salary for a Lobb deal and also Kelly pretty much nominating the Eagles limits the options but not sure if the Dogs will keep Roughead with Adams leaving
And then for Freo Neale likely to go to Brisbane after they signed his mate McCarthy so they have enough to go after Hogan and how that deal effects heir chase of Lobb

I wanted to write about Kelly and how hard North will come next year and I hope that the club can get the signatures early in the year

At least we get the bad news about Shiel and Lobb first. I expect the good news about guys like Cogs, Haynes and Kelly will follow, hopefully soon.

Maybe with the guys maturing and their value stabilizing we'll start to sign the mids on longer term contracts?

At least we get the bad news about Shiel and Lobb first. I expect the good news about guys like Cogs, Haynes and Kelly will follow, hopefully soon.

Maybe with the guys maturing and their value stabilizing we'll start to sign the mids on longer term contracts?

I can see Coniglio, Tomlinson and Haynes signing longer term but Kelly for 2 years to take him to free agency

That means we get less than pick 8 from Essendon, I have a possible alternative.
Carlton trade 24/25 to sydney for 12, maybe gold coast accepts 1,12 and carltons 2019 second for picks 2 and 3 from gold coast. Carlton can keep 2, we get 3 for shiel.
Carlton get bullied in that deal

No chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey folks why is it your rejects run like mice to Carlton ? Not many do any good once there , most end up wrecked but they still head there , is it SOS ? Is he that wonderful that your ex players are willing to end their careers on the rocks that are the blues ?

Hey folks why is it your rejects run like mice to Carlton ? Not many do any good once there , most end up wrecked but they still head there , is it SOS ? Is he that wonderful that your ex players are willing to end their careers on the rocks that are the blues ?
Prefer you troll Carlton on their board

NfHsMdh.png

If Shiel chooses Carlton
- shiel + setterfield for 1, otherwise maybe shiel + setterfield + 23 for 1 + Carlton 2019 2nd rounder (gives them an extra 2nd rder to chase mcgovern or to use themselves)

If Shiel chooses Saints
- shiel + 24 for 4 + saints 2019 1st rd
- setterfield + gws 2019 1st rd for carlton 2019 1st rd + 42

So Setterfield wants to go to Carlton. Absolutely sick to death of this. Draft these kids and they run off back home after serving the minimum time on their contract. Pathetic. Pretty convinced Setterfield is going to be a gun, but I sure don’t hope he becomes one now. That might sound petty but whatever.

Lobb going too, maybe Shiel.

Can’t help but feel the window is rapidly closing. Maybe that’s just me being negative. But you can’t keep losing quality talent year on end.

So Setterfield wants to go to Carlton. Absolutely sick to death of this. Draft these kids and they run off back home after serving the minimum time on their contract. Pathetic. Pretty convinced Setterfield is going to be a gun, but I sure don’t hope he becomes one now. That might sound petty but whatever.

Can’t help but feel the window is rapidly closing. Maybe that’s just me being negative. But you can’t keep losing quality talent year on end.
Don’t blame Setterfield. Club suggested he have a look around. If a club asks you to look around you realise it’s time to go

Look at the talent in our midfield. The window isnt closing

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back