List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 10 & 2017 2nd round pick for Steele & pick 17?

Similar to the Carlisle deal we did last year which was 5 & 24 for Carlisle & 14.

Similar to the Carlisle deal we did last year which was 5 & 24 for Carlisle & 14.

Kind of don't mind it as an overall deal, but we might end up with surplus points this year which makes pick 10 somewhat academic.

I reckon that would be around the mark if he chose to go to Saints.
I'd see GWS taking something more exotic too, such as St Kilda's 2017 first rounder plus 2016 3rd rounder (currently #46) for Steele & one of our 2016 second round picks (e.g. # 31). Risk and reward - the better St Kilda go in 2017 the cheaper Steele would be (and you would have the goods in hand to help you achieve that) but roughly equivalent to a late first round or early second round in points. Saints keep their 2016 first round and get their third upgraded to second as well as getting a young gun.

Just moving this query to the hypothetical thread:
Couple rumours on the Pies board about WHE apparently keen to get to Collingwood.
What is he worth and is he considered best 22 for next year?
Amazing the talent you blokes have going to be around the top 4 for a long time.

WHE is a difficult one. Much beloved by us fans, who think he has got amazing talent. 2014 was his breakout year, and showed what he can do in a full season. Unfortunately, he also has a knack of picking up little injuries that take him out of the first grade team for a few weeks, and he has to fight his way back in. He has always fought his way back into the team, but does get more difficult as the years pass as we keep adding talent.

IIRC he re-signed in 2015 for 2016-2017, on the back of his girlfriend being settled and happy in Sydney. I would presume that only if she's changed her mind, or he's got a pretty good offer and he convinces her, would he leave. As one of the original draft picks, I'd think he would have a pretty strong bond with the other originals, which would be coming to the fore as the team heads towards better on-field success. But, as we've seen with Treloar, players can be tempted and I guess that the Magpies have Treloar & Adams.

Is he best 22 in 2017? Hard to say. Certainly not a clear best 22. His position would probably be in competition with say Greene, Smith & Stevie J in a forward flanker role, and two of those have had great seasons, and while Dev's been injury-plagued, returning to the team and finding good form. Greene's season this year has outshone WHE's best (but have to point out they are quite different style of players). Reckon Stevie J will go around one more year. And then you've got Pickett whom GWS want to develop as an X-factor forward pocket player. Alternatively a winger, but GWS has Scully, Whitfield and Kelly in that role too, so no easy spots. At his best, though, WHE would be best 22, so it does depend if he can get on the park consistently and show his best.

What's he worth? Well, if he could play to his potential consistently, a mid-first rounder. But realistically with where he's at, and having an injury-hit 2016, he'll go much more cheaply. However, he's still in contract and if Collingwood come looking then I doubt that GWS will take less than a second rounder. But that's probably good value if he can steer clear of injuries.

I'd like to hold onto WHE, but realise that, as you say, GWS has an abundance of talent and realistically will lose (and need to lose) talented kids. (We have less of the nearing-retirement and C-listers to cull, and realistically have to cull higher performers for the annual draft turnover, as well as the effect of TPP.) And if I'm being ultra-pragmatic, because we picked up a large percentage of our list in the 2011 draft and same age group as 17-year-old picks, that's exactly the group that we need to thin out, holding onto the best ones. So Tommo and WHE, who have probably fallen behind the others for different reasons, are in that potential category. But I have to think that the club would be careful about culling those guys who share such a bond with a large number of the others; on the other hand, if they want out then I can see GWS might choose not to fight hard to retain them.

Last edited:
If he wants to go and we get a fair offer then we should look to trade. He re-signed on the back of good senior form and for different reasons has regressed a bit since, could be on $3-400k. Only problem is Collingwood have nothing to trade.

What about Tomlinson, Marchbank, Steele, Stewart and Collingwoods or Geelongs 1st, for Carltons 2017 1st, 2016 2nd and Dogs 3rd. Kind of similar to last years trade which included a swap of 1sts....

Or as much as other Carlton supporters would disagree I'd be happy to do our 2017 1st and 2016 2nd for the 4

Thoughts?

This might be handy, before you make more of an idiot of yourself.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Points-draft-value.pdf

3000 + 483 + 27 = 3510

1644 + 1112 = 2756.

Thats a difference of 754 points.

A second round pick, in other words.

No.

What is interested is if GWS does get pick 1 from Essendon RFC could trade their first to get pick 1 from GWS to use it to get Brodie while GWS might use our first to get whoever including possibly Marshall or simply use the points to choose whichever GWS player others chase.

RFC could use a taller inside mid like no other teams whereas the points to GWS would be pointless as its pick 1 and GWS does not really need another mid gun when its so strong in that area plus your supposedly trying to pick up all your academy picks this years plus Marshall if possible.

Have to wait and see what first pick RFC ends up with. Interesting where GC and Freo finish up as well given Freo will want McCarthy and GC seem to wish to trade Prestia to. We could use a KPP as well but really we are well off it and can wait; 2017 have a few KPP's apparently. It would be nice if we ended up with Brodie and a few GWS players if we decide to trade off our first as well as Rance cause we need a foundation to attract others down the track thats solid including quality youngsters that is genuinely believable to future prospects the club desires. GC already have KPP and Freo can wait a little to if they are realistic getting Mccarthy because they will need to build for a while. Might depend on what Essendon wants out of the draft if prepared to give up pick1 as well as what Bris, Freo, and Gold Coast as well as others are really chasing

Last edited:
What about Tomlinson, Marchbank, Steele, Stewart and Collingwoods or Geelongs 1st, for Carltons 2017 1st, 2016 2nd and Dogs 3rd. Kind of similar to last years trade which included a swap of 1sts....

Or as much as other Carlton supporters would disagree I'd be happy to do our 2017 1st and 2016 2nd for the 4

Thoughts?

So you want 4 players and a first round pick for a first, second and third rounder.
Hmmm.... Let me see......

NO!

But I can see why you guys wore orange socks a couple of weeks ago.

So you want 4 players and a first round pick for a first, second and third rounder.

NO!

Side point, but have you noticed how many clubs suddenly seem to have an orange training shirt now, have to double take at a number of news videos to see what team it is that isn't us..

Last edited:

NO!

Ok, instead for being a regular BF douche, that's the response I thought id get hence the 2nd suggestion, would that be enough?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, instead for being a regular BF douche, that's the response I thought id get hence the 2nd suggestion, would that be enough?

Both suggestions were pretty ordinairy for us. Marchbank and Steele are each worth first round picks on their own.

Both suggestions were pretty ordinairy for us. Marchbank and Steele are each worth first round picks on their own.
Cool, just wanted to get a feel for what they are worth to GWS so I can start to filter through what could possibly happen :)

Thanks

Contracted for 1 more year (2017). W.A boy who is behind a fair few at your club.
Apparently the Eagles are looking at him, and I'd consider it a win/win.

Yeah, but I'm happy to give him the year with us. Make up for the one he missed this year. Absolutely no need to let him go at all. Not every WA kid at the Giants is McCarthy.

The Eagles can look all they want.

To any of the GWS supporter hear, who would you think is trade bait this year and what you would think they are worth?

Any hidden gems apart form the usual suspects. Or any potential trade you would accept for our picks over the next 2 years.

Just thinking about port trading there 1st this year or 2017 1st or second for some good youngsters whom can play straight away.

To any of the GWS supporter hear, who would you think is trade bait this year and what you would think they are worth?

Any hidden gems apart form the usual suspects. Or any potential trade you would accept for our picks over the next 2 years.

Just thinking about port trading there 1st this year or 2017 1st or second for some good youngsters whom can play straight away.
Jake Barrett would be looking for a home and would cost you next years third I reckon.

Jake Barrett would be looking for a home and would cost you next years third I reckon.

Have heard this guys name mentioned, what type of player is he (i think mid), any comparisons, and who would you compare him to from our team ie. sam grey type etc.

Just think with the whole GWS situation that there will never be another time that a team has so much talent to trade, so i'd hope port's list management team are at least looking at the possibility of trading picks for a few of your guys that can play straight away. Feel out list is 2-3 B/B+ players short.

I dont think we would have a chance for Merchbank, Tomlinson, Steele or WHE, but id love to try with next years 1st or 2nd round pick, and maybe trade a few guys (lobbe potentially) this year for 2017 picks you need for academy players.

I dont think we would have a chance for Merchbank, Tomlinson, Steele or WHE, but id love to try with next years 1st or 2nd round pick, and maybe trade a few guys (lobbe potentially) this year for 2017 picks you need for academy players.

I'd be happy to trade anyone on that list for Port's 2017 first rounder.

Heck, I'd be ecstatic if Tomlinson went to Port for your 2017 second rounder :)

Have heard this guys name mentioned, what type of player is he (i think mid), any comparisons, and who would you compare him to from our team ie. sam grey type etc.

Inside mid - grunt type. Gets a lot of it - uses it reasonably well. Is Luke Bruest's cousin - also cousin of Trent Barrett (ex-StGeorge player and now Manly coach - boo hiss) but that means he can tackle like a machine too.

Don't know Port's list well enough to compare him to anybody.

Would be solid B/B+ workhorse

Inside mid - grunt type. Gets a lot of it - uses it reasonably well. Is Luke Bruest's cousin - also cousin of Trent Barrett (ex-StGeorge player and now Manly coach - boo hiss) but that means he can tackle like a machine too.

Don't know Port's list well enough to compare him to anybody.

Would be solid B/B+ workhorse
Yup, definitely a solid B player for the Power.

Cant reply back to all of you at once, but thanks for the feed back. That barrett sounds alright, and if your only asking for a 3rd rounder id love to try.

Would love to package a deal to get barrett and Tomlinson, it would much needed depth.

Cant reply back to all of you at once, but thanks for the feed back. That barrett sounds alright, and if your only asking for a 3rd rounder id love to try.

Would love to package a deal to get barrett and Tomlinson, it would much needed depth.

Tommo is very VIC centric like Treloar, O'Rourke, Plow and Tyson were.

He will be a Blue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back