List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Smith for Stringer (and 25% of Stringer's salary paid by dogs)?

Heh I made a post earlier today on the Lions board about how I wouldn't want him there. Him coming to GWS OTOH - it hadn't crossed my mind, and I can't see it happening but man, that would have me licking my lips.

SenatorSmith

Rookie
May 18, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Heh I made a post earlier today on the Lions board about how I wouldn't want him there. Him coming to GWS OTOH - it hadn't crossed my mind, and I can't see it happening but man, that would have me licking my lips.
I wouldn't mind the package but they said on sen this morning that if he were to be traded it would only be to a Victorian team so he is close to family

2) Brisbane and Carlton both interested in Bam Bam.

That got some run on the Lions board and there were a few interested in handing over Port's first round pick for him. I'm not too sure what the story would be to be honest, and unless he was mates with Barrett I don't know why he'd head north. :(

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
guaranteed midfield spot as opposed to competing with the other talent? Seems there or carlton would love more midfield depth.

If I was him id be a blue

Probably safe to assume both Carlton and Lions would offer him more money and a longer contract as well...which is typically the case when attempting to lure a player from another club.

Kennedy's tracking fine so far as only a 2nd year mid, but if he were to sign a 2 year contract and spend a fair bit of it in the reserves, it will really start to hurt his career and potential earnings in the future. These days young mids are almost EXPECTED to be having a pretty big impact at AFL level in their 3rd and certainly 4th years.

Hypothetically, sign on with GWS for 2 years @ $280k (made up number) but be in and out of the team and unlikely to earn much more in his next contract even if he moves...vs leaving to Carlton or Brisbane for $370k over 3 years, cement a spot in the best 22 due to the extra opportunities available, and then sign a contract $500k+ after that expires. He'd also likely be a 'key cog' in our midfield straight away, whereas at GWS he will probably always be a bit part player.

Of course those scenarios may not eventuate, but he's more likely to succeed at AFL level at Carlton or Brisbane than the star-studded GWS midfield. Actually quite an important career decision for him.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Probably safe to assume both Carlton and Lions would offer him more money and a longer contract as well...which is typically the case when attempting to lure a player from another club.

Kennedy's tracking fine so far as only a 2nd year mid, but if he were to sign a 2 year contract and spend a fair bit of it in the reserves, it will really start to hurt his career and potential earnings in the future. These days young mids are almost EXPECTED to be having a pretty big impact at AFL level in their 3rd and certainly 4th years.

Hypothetically, sign on with GWS for 2 years @ $280k (made up number) but be in and out of the team and unlikely to earn much more in his next contract even if he moves...vs leaving to Carlton or Brisbane for $370k over 3 years, cement a spot in the best 22 due to the extra opportunities available, and then sign a contract $500k+ after that expires. He'd also likely be a 'key cog' in our midfield straight away, whereas at GWS he will probably always be a bit part player.

Of course those scenarios may not eventuate, but he's more likely to succeed at AFL level at Carlton or Brisbane than the star-studded GWS midfield. Actually quite an important career decision for him.
Your point about the career damage from playing reserves at this point is fair. Would also consider the VFL stanard is higher and better for a developing playets career than NEAFL as well. It may not matter if he plays AFL all the time, and could well do, but it would be some consideration I think.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

Hopper signing stamped his papers mate

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
With Wilson possibly looking to head home what would he cost?
:cool: If you have to ask you cant afford him.

Seriously I think he's difficult to put a trade price on. I can see the club rejecting a similar offer to the one for MaCarthy with him contracted. I can also see a low first early sedond rounder being asked if it was genuine compassionate grounds. I hope the talk has no legs, if it does whatever happens I hope both clubs are keen to avoid another MaCarthy scenario.

Giants allegedly interested in Jack Lonie. What would he be worth? Our 2nd rounder should do it.
tbh 4th rounder and some goodwill from our side since we did the bruce/steele trades is what id do.

it would be more about getting him to a club that wants him, if were only offering 1 year it pretty much signals we don't believe in him.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I personally don't think we should be playing three talls going forward.
Not sure what will happen with Lobb. If he puts on some beef will his ruck work be good enough to hold that position as number 1 ruck?
We need a small forward who can pressure. Ideally someone who can also be a threat in the air as well.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
For mine there is some merit in looking at Lonie for a late pick and while he wouldn't get a game every week I do think having a speedy small forward could help especially with the right match up. Also on a minor note given his from the 2014 draft class he would help balance the list a tad as we currently only have Finlayson left from that draft year.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
For mine there is some merit in looking at Lonie for a late pick and while he wouldn't get a game every week I do think having a speedy small forward could help especially with the right match up. Also on a minor note given his from the 2014 draft class he would help balance the list a tad as we currently only have Finlayson left from that draft year.
Reid and Lloyd are already filling the depth small forward role aren't they? I reckon Lonnie would be filling cap space that's it

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Reid and Lloyd are already filling the depth small forward role aren't they? I reckon Lonnie would be filling cap space that's it

More likely then not the club won't go after him and while Reid and Lloyd are handy depth we do need to look at guys who can add speed and defensive pressure to our front half.

Last edited:
Back