List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't trade Wilson for 5. Can't see anyone at 5 doing what he does for us. Genuine leg speed with an accurate 60m kick players don't grow on trees

Trouble is if he is going for compassionate reasons which appears to be the case we would have to make a deal. I don't mind the idea of trying Deledio down back next year. He still has some speed and has guile and makes good decisions by foot. Could help shore things up. Perryman coming through as well (although he lacks dash).

I'd say it would be Pick 5 for Wilson and one of our 2nd round picks. He's very valuable but not quite worth that pick alone I would not have thought... even in a mediocre draft. We could get Higgins or Stephenson with that pick.

Last edited:
straight swap for 5 is 0% would need quite a bit more on top of Wilson to get 5

You got it backwards. Pick 5 for Wilson is just stupid. You'd have to throw some substantial steak knives in for us to even consider it.

What other players and/or picks do you think would come close to Wilson's value?

You got it backwards. Pick 5 for Wilson is just stupid. You'd have to throw some substantial steak knives in for us to even consider it.

What other players and/or picks do you think would come close to Wilson's value?

I reckon it's the circumstances mate. His partner is expecting and wants to get home to family to help out with the child.

He has given us tremendous service and been a warrior since he came as a 17yo.

I reckon we will really look after him and ensure he gets home as these things are a bit bigger than footy.

We can only deal with what is available. I doubt they have a player we want that they are prepared to move so it comes down to picks. Pick 5 is their best selection but he's just not worth that as a straight pick (imho). I think we sweeten it with a 2nd or another selection we trade in and the deal gets done.

Cmon guys. Let's not over value all of our best 22. Wilson Is worth a late first or early second. So Freo second pick might get it done if he is going for the right reasons.

I reckon it's the circumstances mate. His partner is expecting and wants to get home to family to help out with the child.

He has given us tremendous service and been a warrior since he came as a 17yo.

I reckon we will really look after him and ensure he gets home as these things are a bit bigger than footy.

We can only deal with what is available. I doubt they have a player we want that they are prepared to move so it comes down to picks. Pick 5 is their best selection but he's just not worth that as a straight pick (imho). I think we sweeten it with a 2nd or another selection we trade in and the deal gets done.

He's not going. He's given absolutely no indication that he wants to go. This was a bulls#*t "I wanna West australian" whinging post from a deluded Freo supporter.

Yes, his partner is expecting. Congratulations and all that. But that doesn't mean he (or her) are going anywhere other than where they are.

People get pregnant after they move lots of times. Not all of them need or want to "go home" to have the baby.

He's lived here for 7 1/2 nearly 8 years. Don't forget, he came and played in 2011, may have even come over later 2010. He's been here for just on 1/3 of his entire life - and when that third is the most recent third, and the third that occurred after he got a car, and access to a nightlife - you know, the grown up bit - then it's a bit more substantial than the first third that you don't remember at all.

He's not going. He's given absolutely no indication that he wants to go. This was a bulls#*t "I wanna West australian" whinging post from a deluded Freo supporter.

Yes, his partner is expecting. Congratulations and all that. But that doesn't mean he (or her) are going anywhere other than where they are.

People get pregnant after they move lots of times. Not all of them need or want to "go home" to have the baby.

He's lived here for 7 1/2 nearly 8 years. Don't forget, he came and played in 2011, may have even come over later 2010. He's been here for just on 1/3 of his entire life - and when that third is the most recent third, and the third that occurred after he got a car, and access to a nightlife - you know, the grown up bit - then it's a bit more substantial than the first third that you don't remember at all.

I don't claim to be an insider and probably guys like Raymann can comment with more authority but my club guy says there is substance to this. He loves the club but he is being pressured (and has a big financial offer in front of him as well) and a trade is likely.

If i'm off the pace I apologise in advance.

Cmon guys. Let's not over value all of our best 22. Wilson Is worth a late first or early second. So Freo second pick might get it done if he is going for the right reasons.

I just don't think there is any value for us to take a 2nd rounder in this draft and would rather we package him with a pick to get a high selection.

This draft has been pilloried by nearly all draft pundits as s**t. The only bloke that seems to rate it is our man Caruso which is a massive concern!!

I'm with Raymann in thinking we need to be careful not to see every one of our best 22 as early or mid first round draft pick value, but I agree with _GT_ in terms of wow! preferring Kenners to Willo. Don't get me wrong, I like Kenners & very proud of what he's done, but I think that Zac & Nathan with run & (in Willo's case) the long kick are important to our counterattack. The chip on Nathan is that he can be inconsistent and take wrong options, but he has been better than Curtley Hampton (who effectively lost the 3-way battle for those 2 spots in our lineup). However, I agree with Andre that GWS tends to do the right thing by its players - provided they are genuine and do the right thing by us (i.e. the opposite of how Sunshine went about it).

In terms of a trade this year, agree with Andre the Giant that there's not great value in the second round - and the other problem is that Freo doesn't actually have a second round pick in 2017; after 5 they have 40 - which in no way would be enough value. But I cannot see Freo being willing to give up pick 5 - even in this draft - given how much they need to rebuild. Our sanctioned first round pick this year is obviously a barrier to any swap deals. I cannot see next year's first being an option, either, as Freo will be unsure of where they will finish (i.e. if they finish low on the ladder again they will want the draft pick benefit). They may go for a swap of next year's first round picks, in the belief that it may be minimal loss of value if they vault up the ladder, but that's a bit much risk for me in that it may come true. Freo's pick #5 for Willo and #23 (or say #20 if Smith goes to Geelong) - effectively pick #17 to #19 - would be mutual value (i.e. Freo would complain about losing pick #5 & GWS would see it as insufficient value for Willo's talents), but I just cannot see Freo giving up that early pick: see what they extracted in regards Sunshine. Yes the Sunshine situation was unusual (and I suspect we had some AFL pressure to make it happen), but we need to be careful about getting bent over in a trade. Just a little but wary about our trade team after last year.

I just don't think there is any value for us to take a 2nd rounder in this draft and would rather we package him with a pick to get a high selection.

This draft has been pilloried by nearly all draft pundits as s**t. The only bloke that seems to rate it is our man Caruso which is a massive concern!!

There is no way pick 5 would be involved in any trade for Wilson without giving up something else substantial.

A package deal for us to get pick 5 would mean we would need to add Wilson to a pick around 12 (not sure where we would get that from) or someone like Lobb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with Raymann in thinking we need to be careful not to see every one of our best 22 as early or mid first round draft pick value, but I agree with _GT_ in terms of wow! preferring Kenners to Willo. Don't get me wrong, I like Kenners & very proud of what he's done, but I think that Zac & Nathan with run & (in Willo's case) the long kick are important to our counterattack. The chip on Nathan is that he can be inconsistent and take wrong options, but he has been better than Curtley Hampton (who effectively lost the 3-way battle for those 2 spots in our lineup). However, I agree with Andre that GWS tends to do the right thing by its players - provided they are genuine and do the right thing by us (i.e. the opposite of how Sunshine went about it).

In terms of a trade this year, agree with Andre the Giant that there's not great value in the second round - and the other problem is that Freo doesn't actually have a second round pick in 2017; after 5 they have 40 - which in no way would be enough value. But I cannot see Freo being willing to give up pick 5 - even in this draft - given how much they need to rebuild. Our sanctioned first round pick this year is obviously a barrier to any swap deals. I cannot see next year's first being an option, either, as Freo will be unsure of where they will finish (i.e. if they finish low on the ladder again they will want the draft pick benefit). They may go for a swap of next year's first round picks, in the belief that it may be minimal loss of value if they vault up the ladder, but that's a bit much risk for me in that it may come true. Freo's pick #5 for Willo and #23 (or say #20 if Smith goes to Geelong) - effectively pick #17 to #19 - would be mutual value (i.e. Freo would complain about losing pick #5 & GWS would see it as insufficient value for Willo's talents), but I just cannot see Freo giving up that early pick: see what they extracted in regards Sunshine. Yes the Sunshine situation was unusual (and I suspect we had some AFL pressure to make it happen), but we need to be careful about getting bent over in a trade. Just a little but wary about our trade team after last year.
I think Kenners is a much better defender and is more prepared to put his head in the hole. Can't say the same as Willo. Willo is 100% attack but plays the one wood every time with the ball and refuses to lower his eyes. He has become too predictable to the opposition.

I think Kenners is a much better defender and is more prepared to put his head in the hole. Can't say the same as Willo. Willo is 100% attack but plays the one wood every time with the ball and refuses to lower his eyes. He has become too predictable to the opposition.
Reckon he is good at at putting his body on the line, and has lifted this aspect of his game. Do agree that he looks for long penetrating kick nearly every time. Have to say though that it is a weapon few of our boys have, so what is to do?

Hit the nail on the head Raymann.

His refusal to lower his eyes is a team issue though (possibly coaching?). Big reason why we are one of the best clearance sides in the league but are fairly poor at turning it into a score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willo did alright lowering the eyes last night. Still used a one wood to get it there, but f#$k me, some of those passes were just beautiful to watch.

I very much respect your footy analysis Raymann and don't disagree with your specific point about Wilson's play. However, his burst through the middle and long kicking can be such a great weapon for us when he gets it right - which I thought the match last night against WCE exemplified - that I'll give him a bit of leeway in other areas & certainly don't want to lose him. All good discussion though, it would be a boring place if we all agreed exactly!

I very much respect your footy analysis Raymann and don't disagree with your specific point about Wilson's play. However, his burst through the middle and long kicking can be such a great weapon for us when he gets it right - which I thought the match last night against WCE exemplified - that I'll give him a bit of leeway in other areas & certainly don't want to lose him. All good discussion though, it would be a boring place if we all agreed exactly!
Wilson was good last night. Only lowered his eyes once. But he was damaging for us

As a Freo supporter I really want Wilson. I have seen most of your games from the last 6 weeks. Is Wilson in the best form of his life or is he always that good?

He's been pretty good for a while.

Still has an issue with booting it long to no one in particular, but there's a lot to like about him as a footballer.

If it isnt obvious, he's being groomed as the Heath Shaw replacement.

What's the talk of Matt Kennedy being sought after by Brisbane and Carlton? Probably Blues bound or will he stay? Would love him at the Lions and will compliment our current midfield perfectly but TBH I just can't see him wanting to come up here.

Try offering lots of cash and a long contract. Worked for us and $cully.

What's the talk of Matt Kennedy being sought after by Brisbane and Carlton? Probably Blues bound or will he stay? Would love him at the Lions and will compliment our current midfield perfectly but TBH I just can't see him wanting to come up here.
Likely to be squeezed out unfortunately

Good player, just offer more than they do. Seems to work unless ur north

Remove this Banner Ad

Back