List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Shiel (contracted) worth pick 4-5 + Setterfield (history of injuries, but contracted) worth pick 12-13 is about pick 1. Both are ready made players and if Carlton are as hyped about Setterfield as some of their supporters are then pick 1 for the pair is a reasonable price to pay. Swapping of picks in either teams' favour would also be more than fair. Of course, recent trading history suggests Carlton with SOS dont often pay a fair price especially when trading with GWS. A 2019 1st rd pick does not hold the currency to get the deal done in my opinion and if Carlton really do want Shiel + Setterfield to come to them, pick 1 must be put on the table. If Carlton are happy to pass and want to try again next year, then by all means keep 1 and get Walsh.

Shiel (contracted) worth pick 4-5 + Setterfield (history of injuries, but contracted) worth pick 12-13 is about pick 1. Both are ready made players and if Carlton are as hyped about Setterfield as some of their supporters are then pick 1 for the pair is a reasonable price to pay. Swapping of picks in either teams' favour would also be more than fair. Of course, recent trading history suggests Carlton with SOS dont often pay a fair price especially when trading with GWS. A 2019 1st rd pick does not hold the currency to get the deal done in my opinion and if Carlton really do want Shiel + Setterfield to come to them, pick 1 must be put on the table. If Carlton are happy to pass and want to try again next year, then by all means keep 1 and get Walsh.
I think a fair deal will be done and it will probably involve other clubs (who might value pick #1 next year /or bundling of lower picks with clubs like Sydney or Collingwood who may not want an early pick around the level where their academy boys will go and [prefer more points). A long way to go in trade weeks.

Some hypotheticals after todays announcements
Lobb
#6 for Lobb + #13 (+ #23)
2019 1st rounder for Lobb + 2019 1st rounder
I would hope the club does not accept a second rounder for him and I don't think any of Freos rucks would be looking at a move to Sydney
Simmofreo what is being said about the trade on the Freo board?
Also I think we will need to wait to see if Freo can get Hogan across from the Demons so it could be a last minute deal

Setterfield
#25 + 2019 2nd rounder for Setterfield (+ 2019 2nd rounder)
Still early for this deal to be done as I am sure both clubs will wait to see what other picks they will have because at the moment the only trade I can see is a second this year and next from Carlton as being close but until something is known on Shiel and McGovern I think both clubs will wait so again it could be a late trade

Some hypotheticals after todays announcements
Lobb
#6 for Lobb + #13 (+ #23)
2019 1st rounder for Lobb + 2019 1st rounder
I would hope the club does not accept a second rounder for him and I don't think any of Freos rucks would be looking at a move to Sydney
Simmofreo what is being said about the trade on the Freo board?
Also I think we will need to wait to see if Freo can get Hogan across from the Demons so it could be a last minute deal

Setterfield
#25 + 2019 2nd rounder for Setterfield (+ 2019 2nd rounder)
Still early for this deal to be done as I am sure both clubs will wait to see what other picks they will have because at the moment the only trade I can see is a second this year and next from Carlton as being close but until something is known on Shiel and McGovern I think both clubs will wait so again it could be a late trade
Lobb's desire to join Freo seems like the perfect opportunity for us to upgrade our 1st round pick, especially if Freo can use the pick 13 as part of a deal for Hogan. The caveat is of course who fills the ruck void. Still skeptical on bringing Mumford back and would prefer a cheap ruckman from another club.

Lobb's desire to join Freo seems like the perfect opportunity for us to upgrade our 1st round pick, especially if Freo can use the pick 13 as part of a deal for Hogan. The caveat is of course who fills the ruck void. Still skeptical on bringing Mumford back and would prefer a cheap ruckman from another club.

Maybe the club could look to do a deal with the Saints for Hickey if he is interested in moving to WA he obviously is not afraid of big moves as he did start at the GC and is originally from Brisbane
28 at the start of next season and 201 cms 99 kgs and I think in a better midfield he could hopefully become a better ruck
What I like about him is he is a ruck first and foremost which is a need for the club

Maybe the club could look to do a deal with the Saints for Hickey if he is interested in moving to WA he obviously is not afraid of big moves as he did start at the GC and is originally from Brisbane
28 at the start of next season and 201 cms 99 kgs and I think in a better midfield he could hopefully become a better ruck
What I like about him is he is a ruck first and foremost which is a need for the club
Would have to agree someone like Hickey is perhaps most suited age-wise to the GWS ruck succession plan. He is strong but not quite as much of a lug as big Dawson (and I suspect Mumford upon return). However, the big draw back is still the lack of mobility and leap that say a Naitanui has. That being said, even Grundy and Gawn are arguably not as athletic and Hickey would give us a competitive performance against teams with good ruckmen. In my eyes, Hickey would be a full-time ruck and Simpson may be relegated to the NEAFL. At a cheap price, would definitely be an option to consider to fill the hole. I think Preuss, Hickey, McEvoy, Archie Smith and Darcy Cameron would be the leading candidates at this stage.

Except most your guys retiring over the next 2 years.

What can you offer? Doubt you'll want to hand over 1st rounders

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I can't see Hawthorn beating the system. They will have to do a Houdini act of biblical proportions that Geelong has failed to achieve as well and its incredible they managed to pluck Mitchell and Omeara so cheaply along with Burton.

Having said that I cannot see Shiel picking Hawthorn over Carlton if it came to that just based on list profile!

I can't see Hawthorn beating the system. They will have to do a Houdini act of biblical proportions that Geelong has failed to achieve as well and its incredible they managed to pluck Mitchell and Omeara so cheaply along with Burton.

Having said that I cannot see Shiel picking Hawthorn over Carlton if it came to that just based on list profile!
Not just list profile. The cash being thrown around by the Blues should probably get them over the line.

Not just list profile. The cash being thrown around by the Blues should probably get them over the line.

The other thing is a number of Hawks players if not retiring could easily be lost via FA if not RFA. What Hawthorn is trying to pull is really an impossible acrobat.

Carlton on the other hand have players far younger as a group more likely to stick.

Its an interesting one with CFC. They don't want to give up pick one however they are going to have to give up something.

If they had any brains they should trade Murphy to whoever to help get the picks to give to GWS if a trade was possible to make all parties happy.

Honestly if I was the Blues and really wanted Shiel, I would get Lukacis from SA in the draft, trade Murphy and use a combination of picks with the 2019 first rounder to get Shiel

The other thing is a number of Hawks players if not retiring could easily be lost via FA if not RFA. What Hawthorn is trying to pull is really an impossible acrobat.

Carlton on the other hand have players far younger as a group more likely to stick.

Its an interesting one with CFC. They don't want to give up pick one however they are going to have to give up something.

If they had any brains they should trade Murphy to whoever to help get the picks to give to GWS if a trade was possible to make all parties happy.

Honestly if I was the Blues and really wanted Shiel, I would get Lukacis from SA in the draft, trade Murphy and use a combination of picks with the 2019 first rounder to get Shiel

To land all the players they want in trade they have to give up pick 1 2018.

Wether it's to trade it out for a bunch of early 1st round picks to be used in trades or using 1 itself.

Despite what their, strangely, cocky fans think. Clubs arent going to hand over stats for nothing. Certainly arent going to take a risk.

The last few years have proven clubs can do a leap up the ladder. Why take a risk on a future pick when you are trading an AA star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To land all the players they want in trade they have to give up pick 1 2018.

Wether it's to trade it out for a bunch of early 1st round picks to be used in trades or using 1 itself.

Despite what their, strangely, cocky fans think. Clubs arent going to hand over stats for nothing. Certainly arent going to take a risk.

The last few years have proven clubs can do a leap up the ladder. Why take a risk on a future pick when you are trading an AA star.

The other possiblity is Shiel going to Essendon for two first rounders

Both Geelong and the Hawks have managed to achieve what few clubs can, that is stay at the top for extended periods in recent times. There's a good reason why Leon mentions them along with the Swans as clubs we want to emulate.

It's entirely rational that any player would choose their club system and the best coach in the business. Doesn't mean Shiel will and a trade looks difficult given the currency they hold, but your reasoning is nonsense.

Both Geelong and the Hawks have managed to achieve what few clubs can, that is stay at the top for extended periods in recent times. There's a good reason why Leon mentions them along with the Swans as clubs we want to emulate.

It's entirely rational that any player would choose their club system and the best coach in the business. Doesn't mean Shiel will and a trade looks difficult given the currency they hold, but your reasoning is nonsense.

Not at all.

Make no mistake RFC in 2018 failed. It was a year of failure. 2018 was a wasted year, we are just lucky a monkey got off our backs in 2017 care of Adelaide. The RFC has won nothing yet and proved nothing yet, we have no reason to think we have stopped hunting apart from a few johnny come lately w***ers!! May as well finished 3rd last as far as I am concerned.

Geelong and Hawks are not at the top. I laid them off at the beginning of the season. An elite might wish to pretend they are still relevant at the moment but they are not. The cattle dictates they are not!!!

Whether Hawthorn like it or not Geelong and Hawthorn were successful, in terms of premierships, from the draft, thats where they drafted Buddy and Bartel and co..

Hawthorn capitalised on FA in a period of high rotations helping older players stay stronger for longer in the expansion period on the back of strong drafting including special picks. Geelong was successful in the back of strong drafting, father son bonus's at the time and the ability to retain older players who spent many years at the club cheaper where a lot of these advantages have been systematically removed!

Last edited:
Hi again all.

Tom Scully any chance of moving or have you shifted the players you need to move already?
I think Lobb, Shiel, Setterefield and Finlayson clear the salary cap problems. Unless he requests a trade I can't see him being moved this season. I know Shiel was one of his best mates so who knows next year...

Probably close to what will happen. Any reason why you cant give us 34 back this year?
I think it'll be close to your 2019 second round anyway.
Mostly because we won't have a pick before 60 this year if that eventuates. Just think it will be a first and a second, but if it's this year's first (which is what you'll want given we'll probably be higher placed next year) it's probably going to be next year's second. Unless you want someone like a Michael Hartley which I doubt.

Mostly because we won't have a pick before 60 this year if that eventuates. Just think it will be a first and a second, but if it's this year's first (which is what you'll want given we'll probably be higher placed next year) it's probably going to be next year's second. Unless you want someone like a Michael Hartley which I doubt.
I expect we'll start asking for this years and next years firsts, if it happens, and the Bombers start with 8. How the negitiation goes then we'll see. I think it's close to fair value and if it's Shiel's wish a trade will get done.

Fascinating to see how he goes with you, Smith obviousy relished being able to play the role he preferred in the midfield rather than forward defender. Every teams midfeldd dynamic is different but I guess his role may not change that much.

I dont know enough about Hartley or how we perceive needs in depth positions to judge honestly. Personally I'd say give us 8 and K8be Mutch and get him in orange and grey, :(but I seriously doubt the club would do it because I want them to

Remove this Banner Ad

Back