List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
This is the trade that I think will go down

Essendon Gain
Shiel
GWS 2nd 2018

GWS Gain
Pick 9
Future 1st
Essendon 2nd 2018

You guys will ask straight up for 2 first rounder which is fair but I feel Dodoro would haggle for this scenario which I think has a similar feel to the Smith deal done last year. I’m not 100% sure on the cap on trading future picks but you may prefer our 2nd rounder next year to help match the Tom Green bid

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Hmm, I'd suggest it might be a bit simpler (some uncertainty with how much each team improves/declines next year)... with the academy kids next year we'll probably just end up with #9 this year and your second round pick next year to add points for matching. Slightly less than the Treloar value (couple of less years service for you, but similar enough).

I suspect we'll probably try to move the pick #9 earlier in the order with the Lobb trade to Freo. They'll want to pay a future second rounder - hopefully we don't cop that.

This is the trade that I think will go down

Essendon Gain
Shiel
GWS 2nd 2018

GWS Gain
Pick 9
Future 1st
Essendon 2nd 2018

You guys will ask straight up for 2 first rounder which is fair but I feel Dodoro would haggle for this scenario which I think has a similar feel to the Smith deal done last year. I’m not 100% sure on the cap on trading future picks but you may prefer our 2nd rounder next year to help match the Tom Green bid

We already have GWS' 2018 2nd rounder from the Smith trade and GC have Essendon's 2018 2nd rounder from the Saad trade.

That former GWS pick is the one I’m talking about, so that can’t go back?

You're sending that GWS pick to us in the trade when we already acquired it last year. We can't 'gain' what we already have, and we can't trade what we don't own

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
With the likelihood that Carlton are trading the 2 second round picks to the Swans it makes the deal for Setterfield harder to do meaning it could be scraps for Setterfield which will be pretty devastating and I will enjoy watching a replay of their 100 point loss from this year
Possibly
Carlton 2019 2nd + #42 for Setterfield

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
With our decreasing depth, maybe Carlton would consider Cunningham + future 2nd (since 26+28 off to adelaide for mcgovern) for Setterfield + future 4th. Both players contracted and have had a bad run with injuries. Cunningham out with a hamstring from about round 15 but should be good for pre-season. If Setters comes good, Cunningham would probably be VFL at Carlton anyway. However he is young and has time to develop his game. Understandably he would also be playing NEAFL if up at GWS at least initially.

If Adelaide get 13 from the Carlton-Sydney-Adelaide trade, I think we should consider (if the Essendon trade gets through) 9 + 25 for 13 + 16. Adelaide get Hately and we will squeeze in 3 picks before a Briggs bid.

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
With the likelihood that Carlton are trading the 2 second round picks to the Swans it makes the deal for Setterfield harder to do meaning it could be scraps for Setterfield which will be pretty devastating and I will enjoy watching a replay of their 100 point loss from this year
Possibly
Carlton 2019 2nd + #42 for Setterfield
That deal would absolutely stink. What a joke if it’s that.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
What do you think Rory Lobb will cost us. If we get the Neale Trade done then we could package pick 6 to Adelaide for say 13 and 16 perhaps something else as well for freo. Then trade 16 in a straight swap. Or perhaps 6 for Lobb and 12 with some exchange of picks in GWS's favour for 2019 draft.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
What do you think Rory Lobb will cost us. If we get the Neale Trade done then we could package pick 6 to Adelaide for say 13 and 16 perhaps something else as well for freo. Then trade 16 in a straight swap. Or perhaps 6 for Lobb and 12 with some exchange of picks in GWS's favour for 2019 draft.

Late 1st early 2nd would do it I would think

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'm guessing Freo will aim for a future second - I think that probably undervalues Rory. I'd expect GWS to ask for a swap of first round picks to allow us to move up the order but keep Freo in the first round. If Neale goes to Brisbane and you have picks 5 & 6 then I suspect it might happen with pick 6. That would undervalue Rory in pure points terms, but help GWS get a higher quality pick while not severely disadvantanging Freo. Pick 9 (from the Shiel Essendon trade) for 6 would presumably need something else - presumably would have to be a future pick (ideally 2nd but more likely 3rd round in 2019) or 14 for 6 probably needs nothing else. Points value is well down, but access to the elite top 6 talent is the compensator. Depends on how hard our trade team is willing to push I think.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I'm guessing Freo will aim for a future second - I think that probably undervalues Rory. I'd expect GWS to ask for a swap of first round picks to allow us to move up the order but keep Freo in the first round. If Neale goes to Brisbane and you have picks 5 & 6 then I suspect it might happen with pick 6. That would undervalue Rory in pure points terms, but help GWS get a higher quality pick while not severely disadvantanging Freo. Pick 9 (from the Shiel Essendon trade) for 6 would presumably need something else - presumably would have to be a future pick (ideally 2nd but more likely 3rd round in 2019) or 14 for 6 probably needs nothing else. Points value is well down, but access to the elite top 6 talent is the compensator. Depends on how hard our trade team is willing to push I think.
With the reports of Josh Bruce being shopped around, looks like the Saints are keen on a King twin. Could potentially leave Walsh at 1, Lukosius 2, Rozee 3, King 4, Smith 5, maybe Rankine 6. Not sure who Fremantle favor more out of Smith and Rankine, but I personally feel like Smith fits the typical GWS mould better whereas Rankine would be the X-factor we are lacking.

If GWS wanted first choice, I would pay a premium for pick 5 - maybe 14 + Lobb + future 2nd for 5 + future 3rd. If GWS didnt mind out of the 2 players then 14 + Lobb for 6 would be a good outcome for both as well.

Pick 9 (Essendon 1st rd pick) seems like the most suitable place to pick up Hately but feel like we would do better trading that to Adelaide - 9 + 25 for 13 + 16. Gives adelaide the opportunity to perhaps grab a King twin as well as an Adelaide local in Hately having missed out on Lukosius, Rankine and Rozee. We can then grab 2 of Duursma, Jones, Hill, RCD, Butters, Clark, O'Hallaran, Stack or Cameron (though tied to WA academy, but really rate him and wouldnt mind the early bid at 16) with the newly acquired picks 13 + 16 before matching bids for Briggs and Walker.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think with the Adelaide's clubs chase of picks at the top the price that will be paid will need to be too great and the club will settle for #9 and #14 and then look to bank picks for next years draft
I think the club is far along the development path and it has enough truly elite talent that it just needs to add the good role players and develop them well which with how last years draftees have performed I am confident that something similar will happen with this years draftees
If the club can bring in 3 talented youngsters, 3/4 academy players and 2 mature players (1 Mumford) and can add to its picks for next year I think i will be happy
I am sure the club has names in mind so we will have to wait till draft night to see exactly who it will be but based on history the club will stay away from the SA players and in all likelihood the WA talent as well

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Hey GWS fans, would you do this trade for pick 14?

Trade: Pick 14 and 49
Receive: Pick 20, future first rounder

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Hey GWS fans, would you do this trade for pick 14?

Trade: Pick 14 and 49
Receive: Pick 20, future first rounder

Looks good but I don’t think the club will look to move down the draft as it goes against past trends
And it all depends on what happens with the traded out players

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Looks good but I don’t think the club will look to move down the draft as it goes against past trends
And it all depends on what happens with the traded out players

I think the added bonus of a future first is it means more points for your academy players next year. Plus, you'll already have 9 from Essendon, so it won't be your first pick in the draft.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think the added bonus of a future first is it means more points for your academy players next year. Plus, you'll already have 9 from Essendon, so it won't be your first pick in the draft.

It depends on who the club likes in the draft but I would think the club would like to bring in 2 players early in the draft who could have an impact in 2019, i am basing that on the fact that 2 mids are being lost who they thought would play significant game time in 2019
With pick swaps available up to draft night i can see several exchanges happening where it is just points so it could be a chance to see who blinks first but I would be favour being conservative because of the GC-WC pick swap from last year GC lost majorly from that
Also with future pick swaps the risk is with the club getting the picks so why i think most clubs would only prefer to future trade 2nd/3rd rounders

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Is the talk about Scully BS?

Seems like every GWS apart a few players are looking at their options.
I think every player apart from a few is a gross exaggeration.

Interesting that the club has not confirmed that Scully is looking at options, but has been quick to with the others. Also that the story appears so late in the trade period. It's possible that's because of a rollon effect from other departures, but doesn't explain the club's silence days after reports of him meeting with Richmond and Hawthorn.

Tom would deserve the same respect as Dylan and the others in terms of time to meet with clubs and make up his mind, with the club also having time to negotiate a trade, I think.

The club confirmation may come but would have to be today surely. I dont know what to make of his managers reported "no comment".

Back