List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
11 + 25 + GWS 2019 2nd + Suns 2019 4th (from Hawks) for 4 + 36? Points here dont mean much but approximately 2855 points (even assuming we finish top 4 and suns finish last) from us for 2536 points from saints.

Rocketman1984

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
11 + 25 + GWS 2019 2nd + Suns 2019 4th (from Hawks) for 4 + 36? Points here dont mean much but approximately 2855 points (even assuming we finish top 4 and suns finish last) from us for 2536 points from saints.

Feel sorry for you guys with the cap issues, you may want to consider the following as top ups Menzel, Mav Weller, Barlow Tom Bell , all may be able to do a job and come cheap

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Feel sorry for you guys with the cap issues, you may want to consider the following as top ups Menzel, Mav Weller, Barlow Tom Bell , all may be able to do a job and come cheap
Cheers. I'd opine that we have cap issues because we recruited or drafted good players, a lot of whom stayed, and needed to have their salaries increased. So it's a 'good' problem. Of course, it's disappointing to lose talented players, and especially originals like Dylan and previously Treloar, but it is the nature of the business. Scully moving was more of an issue for most - an original, despised by many Victorians, seemed to come from nowhere, and I don't think we (yet) understand all of the factors (injury, family circumstances?) involved.

In the end, we are losing 5 players this year (Giff retired, 4 traded - yes, all good or talented young players) - plus although Tim Mohr hasn't been announced formally we're expecting him to also depart - and have 5 good picks (3 first round, 1 second round & one to match an academy kid). Unless we trade a couple of those for an earlier pick, we're pretty set (although arguably it starts the player/SC merry-go-round again!) to replace the losses with youth. But one or two experienced hands either with the last pick or on the rookie list certainly wouldn't go astray, and we've certainly discussed some of those options on this board this trading season.

Best of luck to the Lions for next year. Lachie Neale was a solid pickup, but unfortunately offset by Beams departing. But you're definitely on the rise.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
With Lions/Swans/Pies/Roos stockpiling later picks for Academy/FS picks I can see #52 + #89 moving up the draft order significantly and conversely #25 may move back a few spots with bids for Blakely/Thomas/Quaynor/Kelly and West likely being before then
Lions 18, 30, 35, 56, 78, 98, 116
Swans 26, 33, 38, 39, 40, 88, 106, 124
Pies 41, 44, 51, 57, 93, 111, 129
Roos 42, 47, 48, 49, 55, 58, 86, 104, 122

Smartest Brain

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Good player

Agree he might provide midfield depth

Reckon the need is more for forward line backup and therefore I reckon Menzel

If they are both on minimum salary, both. :p We need more players who are above average but don't get much salary. I'd figure Menzel may want something more than Barlow who would be happy to play again.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Gotta play the high draft picks or they will leave. No advantage in players like Barlow or Menzel
I agree if they are top 10 picks, they expect to play round 1. Our picks are good but not super low, 9,11, 19, 25. I think it is ok to consider getting in one mature ager, but I would thinking in the effects of this on Kelly etc . They might be impressed by Barlow and want to play with him. They also might not care.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Gotta play the high draft picks or they will leave. No advantage in players like Barlow or Menzel

Can't just give games away no matter how talented high draft picks are, and we also have to consider that we have lost 668 games of experience this trade period with nothing coming back the other way so personally I'm all for us adding one delisted free agent as well as Mummy.

Smartest Brain

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Mumford will be interesting. If he can somehow get back to his 2016 form we would immediately be a better side. Plus I love to see him smashing opposition players. Dawson was coming on very well before his injury but you never know how that is going to look coming back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-29/giants-could-throw-exdocker-an-afl-lifeline

What do we think about Tommy Sheridan? Experienced body with finals experience. We have already have quite a few WA boys in Cogs, Langdon, Taylor and De Boer. Not sure what he offers to the side and feel like we might end up with an overabundance of medium-sized defenders but might be good if we are looking to pick up Clark and Stack/Cameron as well.

slapnutmidget

Cancelled
Sep 5, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-29/giants-could-throw-exdocker-an-afl-lifeline

What do we think about Tommy Sheridan? Experienced body with finals experience. We have already have quite a few WA boys in Cogs, Langdon, Taylor and De Boer. Not sure what he offers to the side and feel like we might end up with an overabundance of medium-sized defenders but might be good if we are looking to pick up Clark and Stack/Cameron as well.
First of all he is from Vic
Seems injury prone but is a 'professional' and won some time trials at freo this year or last (beat Brad Hill so not bad).
I would not be mad if we picked him up

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Hmmm, there's points for and against with Sheridan.

I'm never one to really want to take another club's delisted players; but Freo have a track record of releasing guys still with a career left (MdB!).

Absolutely a runner - he was 3rd in the 2011 AFL combine 3km time trial & also beep test: both behind Brad Hill & WHE (and ahead of Tommo) and still has that endurance, winning Freo's last pre-season time trial (albeit with Brad Hill sidelined, but still obviously a top performance).

He has obviously had some injury issues, but if we think he's over them, his stats are actually pretty similar to Kenners (and must of us love Kenners) although his disposal efficiency is a touch worse, so he could be a defender or take Scully's role on a wing perhaps.

Given that we have 7 main list spots to fill and only 5 real picks; plus we could have 2 more rookie spots (although unlikely we'll use all those spots); we've certainly got a possibility of taking a couple of more experienced guys to offset five 18/19 year old draftees. They could include older VFL/SANFL/NEAFL players such as Mitch Grigg or Mitch Maguire; Mumford or Clarke obviously for a ruck position; or the experienced Bugg & Sheridan probably the pick of the DFAs who could be either added to the main list or rookie list.

Given the amount of experience that left during trade period, I'd be content with picking up a couple of older, wiser heads to offset that loss. Sheridan is one I wouldn't be upset about if the club do their due diligence & medical check. You'd think that MdB would be a good judge if he were worthwhile.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
Players to have recently been delisted by Fremantle to later get picked up by another club

MDB
Collins
Menegola
Sutcliffe (likely)
Sheridan (likely)
Mzungu
Barlow
Roberton
Silvagni

Players to have recently been delisted by Fremantle to later get picked up by another club

MDB
Collins
Menegola
Sutcliffe (likely)
Sheridan (likely)
Mzungu
Barlow
Roberton
Silvagni
In fairness to Roberton it was clear that he wanted out and requested the delisting so he could get back to Melbourne.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah, a few of those names are a bit surprising - seems to be a pattern of cutting guys a touch early (especially when they've delisted a significant number who really weren't up to it in the same years!). Anyway, only one I think GWS would be interested in this year would be Tommy Sheridan - right fit for our list potentially, given our losses, but not a certainty to be picked up.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
There has been a fair bit of chatter on numerous Richmond sites as well as some on the Tigers board on Big Footy regarding Richmonds interest in Hopper and Hopper being out of contract at the end of the year , Has he resigned

Remove this Banner Ad

Back