Trade McGovern or Barrass

Remove this Banner Ad

But that would be acquiescing to stakeholder that publicly bashed them from pillar to post all year and put unnecessary obstacles in the way.

Like Ryan Daniels said in his article a week or so back, given what was happening behind the scenes it is a wonder there were any games in WA at all this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
they blew tens of millions because mcgowan was rude to them?

we built a world class stadium so they signed the gf to the g for eternity without so much as a tender

exactly what politeness have they earnt?

they blew tens of millions because mcgowan was rude to them?

we built a world class stadium so they signed the gf to the g for eternity without so much as a tender

exactly what politeness have they earnt?

It's just the way business works. If one party is saying that your product is not a priority, and publicly bashes your organisation and its affiliates (Vic clubs) and imposing stringent conditions that are arguably unnecessary while the other party is showing a congeniality, empathy and providing workable solutions to deliver your product, it really isn't a choice at all.

Let's be very clear, McGowan was publicly bashing the AFL while having people work behind the scenes and offer large sums of public money to get the AFL GF to Perth.

The AFL choosing both QLD and SA to host the GF in front of WA was a statement that they aren't going to used as a pinata for political purposes by someone who is a political animal.

By all accounts the AFL swallowed their pride and worked with the WA government in order to give West Coast and Fremantle the same amount of home games that Port Adelaide received (7) in order to not punish the clubs for the intransigence of the government of the state in which those two clubs are based.

McGowan played his hand beautifully. If he got the AFL GF he could go on about how he got this great event for WA without compromise, reinforcing his strong man image, and if the AFL went elsewhere, he could put it across as not folding to the AFL.

It's really an incredible display of political nous. He isn't Mr 92% for nothing. You've got to respect his hustle.

As it turns out, McGowan got what he wanted, the AFL got what they wanted, and by all accounts most West Australians have openly stated that they backed McGowan on his position, so they got what they wanted too.

Win/Win/Win.

Everybody's happy.

It's just the way business works. If one party is saying that your product is not a priority, and publicly bashes your organisation and its affiliates (Vic clubs) and imposing stringent conditions that are arguably unnecessary while the other party is showing a congeniality, empathy and providing workable solutions to deliver your product, it really isn't a choice at all.

Let's be very clear, McGowan was publicly bashing the AFL while having people work behind the scenes and offer large sums of public money to get the AFL GF to Perth.

The AFL choosing both QLD and SA to host the GF in front of WA was a statement that they aren't going to used as a pinata for political purposes by someone who is a political animal.

By all accounts the AFL swallowed their pride and worked with the WA government in order to give West Coast and Fremantle the same amount of home games that Port Adelaide received (7) in order to not punish the clubs for the intransigence of the government of the state in which those two clubs are based.

McGowan played his hand beautifully. If he got the AFL GF he could go on about how he got this great event for WA without compromise, reinforcing his strong man image, and if the AFL went elsewhere, he could put it across as not folding to the AFL.

It's really an incredible display of political nous. He isn't Mr 92% for nothing. You've got to respect his hustle.

As it turns out, McGowan got what he wanted, the AFL got what they wanted, and by all accounts most West Australians have openly stated that they backed McGowan on his position, so they got what they wanted too.

Win/Win/Win.

Everybody's happy.
well except for all the people laid off and the tens of millions they blew with empty stadiums.

well except for all the people laid off and the tens of millions they blew with empty stadiums.

Worth it ;)

On a serious note. What the WA government was offering in cash, the QLD government has offered in investment in facilities and supporting grass roots footy in that state over the next decade or so.

That's an important win for the AFL in getting extra government support for the fledgling AFL market in QLD.

Given the optics and politics involved between all parties, there was never any other outcome possible except the one we got.

Worth it ;)

On a serious note. What the WA government was offering in cash, the QLD government has offered in investment in facilities and supporting grass roots footy in that state over the next decade or so.

That's an important win for the AFL in getting extra government support for the fledgling AFL market in QLD.

Given the optics and politics involved between all parties, there was never any other outcome possible except the one we got.

I dont blame the McAttack, for his approach, without tourism why would he do it, WA is going to report a surplus.

Stop making excuses, Cox is absolute garbage and he made him look a superstar

2nd time in finals he has ripped apart a defence to kick multiple goals. Not many can lay claim to that. Can be super arrogant but what’s footy without the theatre.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I dont blame the McAttack, for his approach, without tourism why would he do it, WA is going to report a surplus.

No blame, I think the reasoning behind his actions is sound, but also resulted in the reality that the GF was always going to QLD.

Anyway, conscious that this is off topic from the thread at hand.

Pardon the intrusion but for me McGovern is just about the most influential player in the comp.
Had a poor game by his standards last night and yet still killed us regularly. He is something else.
Hate him immensly but respect him greatly. If I could pick 1 player in the comp I'd nearly take him.

Pardon the intrusion but for me McGovern is just about the most influential player in the comp.
Had a poor game by his standards last night and yet still killed us regularly. He is something else.
Hate him immensly but respect him greatly. If I could pick 1 player in the comp I'd nearly take him.
Would take Adams+draft pick for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2020 has been one fked up year, full of all sorts of weird s**t.

if there was ever a time for a thread like this, it’s right now.

With the chat/rumors on here about Cripps coming back home, would WC consider trading Gov for Cripps? Gov would unite with his brother at Carlton, and we have Edwards/Brander to slot into defence.

With the chat/rumors on here about Cripps coming back home, would WC consider trading Gov for Cripps? Gov would unite with his brother at Carlton, and we have Edwards/Brander to slot into defence.
Gov is under contract and is not going anywhere.
We're not the type of club who would try and send a loyal and multi All Australian player away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back