Trade McGovern or Barrass

Remove this Banner Ad

Isnt Cale Hooker being offloaded? Trade one of McGovern or Barrass plus a player like Petrecelli and get Hooker and Cripps. I know WC team would be much better then
You really have NFI do you?
One of the worst posters on this board.

Isnt Cale Hooker being offloaded? Trade one of McGovern or Barrass plus a player like Petrecelli and get Hooker and Cripps. I know WC team would be much better then
I get where you're coming from and the structure you're talking about. Ideally I'd personally like a lock down KPD a tad younger to do the trade. Allow a bit more time to develop another one.

Liam Jones would be good but too $$$
From memory Jack Payne from Brissy is a good spoiler and shows some potential.
Ben McKay or Caleb Graham?

You think a structure of having 0 lockdown KPD and 2 intercept KPD is the way to go? It's failed WC the last 2 years
That is not the structure we have had and it is not a why we have finished 5th the past 2 years.
Barrass is a lock down- has done many a good job but sometimes he and Gov do get their roles muddied. Gov is a player that teams have spent years trying to work their game plan around defusing when they play us. He can be a pig headed selfish *er at times but he is the most dangerous backman in the game.
Our backline is not the problem, our midfield depth along with our pressure/intent/work rate paired with a game plan that doesnt adapt to conditions that are not ideal is the reason we have finished 5th the past 2 years.
Your trade suggestion is quite frankly idiotic and unrealistic and ignores several factors, just one of which is that we have the most damaging backman in the game and you want to replace him with a 32 year old Essendon backman that would be lucky to rank top 20 KPD these days. * me. I cant say I am surprised but, this aligns with most of your activity.

That is not the structure we have had and it is not a why we have finished 5th the past 2 years.
Barrass is a lock down- has done many a good job but sometimes he and Gov do get their roles muddied. Gov is a player that teams have spent years trying to work their game plan around defusing when they play us. He can be a pig headed selfish f***er at times but he is the most dangerous backman in the game.
Our backline is not the problem, our midfield depth along with our pressure/intent/work rate paired with a game plan that doesnt adapt to conditions that are not ideal is the reason we have finished 5th the past 2 years.
Your trade suggestion is quite frankly idiotic and unrealistic and ignores several factors, just one of which is that we have the most damaging backman in the game and you want to replace him with a 32 year old Essendon backman that would be lucky to rank top 20 KPD these days. **** me. I cant say I am surprised but, this aligns with most of your activity.
Yes Barrass is forced to play that because McGovern is so loose, but it's not his natural game and he isn't great at it. Look at his performance vs St Kilda in rd 16 when McGovern wasn't playing and he was able to play intercept and compare that to his performance in the elimination final getting destroyed by Cox because he had to play lockdown.

You fail to realise there is an opportunity cost, you have to give something to get something. How can WC improve the midfield depth as you put it without trading anyone decent?

Overall WC would be a better team with a big mid like Cripps and losing McGovern or Barrass and replacing one of them with a cheap lockdown defender.

Cale Hooker and Liam Jones being mentioned as replacements for when we trade Barrass and/or McGovern.

Off season is delivering. Please continue to deliver. There is much delicious content when we bow out unexpectedly to top off an underwhelming year.

Overall WC would be a better team with a big mid like Cripps and losing McGovern or Barrass and replacing one of them with a cheap lockdown defender.
The sort of players we are talking about that we'd need to bring in are the likes of Cripps, Martin, Bontempelli, Petracca, Macrae, Fyfe.

All of these would cost McGovern plus extra. For the majority of these "trades" you've got to convince someone to move to WA who has no affiliation with the state. Yes Cripps is a WA boy but he seems very settled in Melbourne and is the captain of Carlton. You've also got to convince one of McGovern or Barrass to leave WA for no real benefit to them.

In the US where trading players is more common place I could see how fans can just bandy around "trade X for Y" because we are strong in X's position but weak in Y's position. But the AFL just doesn't work like that and it maybe never will. Even with a bit of an increase in trading in recent years, the majority of players traded are mid range players, and when a star is traded it's usually for draft picks (Neale, Kelly, Dangerfield, Treloar, T Mitchell) - how many trades involving genuine top line players at both clubs have there ever been? Not sure the Judd trade even counts because Kennedy was a long was from being a star at that point.

The biggest I can think of in this sense is the Burgoyne trade which also involved Mark Williams who was a good player, but that is a long way off what is being thrown around here.

Last edited:
Yes Barrass is forced to play that because McGovern is so loose, but it's not his natural game and he isn't great at it. Look at his performance vs St Kilda in rd 16 when McGovern wasn't playing and he was able to play intercept and compare that to his performance in the elimination final getting destroyed by Cox because he had to play lockdown.

You fail to realise there is an opportunity cost, you have to give something to get something. How can WC improve the midfield depth as you put it without trading anyone decent?

Noones trading McGovern. We would be minus one flag without the bloke. If Cripps wants to come home wait till his contract runs out and get him to nominate us next year. Hopefully Carlton bomb out and with a few retirements / delistings we can free up some cap space and do a Tom Lynch with him and get him for nothing.

trading Barrass is just plain dumb he’s worth much more to us than anything anyone else would be willing to offer.

If Cripps wants to come home wait till his contract runs out and get him to nominate us next year. Hopefully Carlton bomb out and with a few retirements / delistings we can free up some cap space and do a Tom Lynch with him and get him for nothing.
If we were able to land Cripps, this is by far the most likely scenario in which it will happen.

It is in regards to our club, but for a club that wished to do anything to climb the mountain and do it at any cost then it could be at least discussed. That is not the WCE though.
Clubs which climb the mountain keep the players they want to, and get rid of the ones they don’t need

Only an idiot would do what the OP has suggested

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs which climb the mountain keep the players they want to, and get rid of the ones they don’t need

I'm pretty sure a WC team with:

Cripps, Barrass, Hooker

Would be better than a team with:

McGovern, Petrecelli, Barrass

I'm pretty sure a WC team with:

Cripps, Barrass, Hooker

Would be better than a team with:

McGovern, Petrecelli, Barrass
I know for a fact that a team with McGovern and Barrass has

played finals every year

played in two grand finals

won a flag

you don’t give away one of the best players in the competition for someone who wants to come home

if Cripps wants to play for us he’ll get here.

No a club which feels it needed a certain type of player to finish the jigsaw would do it, our clubs problem is it believes the current list is good enough.
We wouldn’t trade out either of them for Dusty Martin begging to come to our club. It’s just who we are.

I know for a fact that a team with McGovern and Barrass has

played finals every year

played in two grand finals

won a flag

you don’t give away one of the best players in the competition for someone who wants to come home

if Cripps wants to play for us he’ll get here.

Hypothetical would you give up Gov for Cripps?

No a club which feels it needed a certain type of player to finish the jigsaw would do it, our clubs problem is it believes the current list is good enough.
We wouldn’t trade out either of them for Dusty Martin begging to come to our club. It’s just who we are.
Richmond got Lynch
Geelong will get Cameron

they don’t give up their best players for them.

Can I be honest here?

Im a 35 year old man. Ive lived through many hardships in my life. I have battled my whole way through life

Reading this idiotic thread though was my biggest challenge
Bushfires, floods, global pandemic- just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any worse...

Yes Cripps is a WA boy but he seems very settled in Melbourne and is the captain of Carlton.

Once upon a time we had this guy called Chris Judd. Superstar player. Even though he was a Victorian boy, he seemed very settled in Perth, and, he was also the captain of our football club.

Sound familiar?

Losing Cripps to us would make under an eerily similar narrative would make for some delicious irony.

They didn't need to as both players were FA.
Anyway it doesn't matter as like you said it wouldn't happen. We will just go on as we are.
Restricted free agents. Cameron will still need to be traded to satisfy GWS. Geelong won’t be giving up any of their top players to get it done. No one does that. Why didn’t Geelong ask for McGovern when they were losing Kelly? Because they would look like a bunch of numpties for even asking the question. It’s a brain dead suggestion to trade him out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back