Trade McGovern or Barrass

Remove this Banner Ad

Restricted free agents. Cameron will still need to be traded to satisfy GWS. Geelong won’t be giving up any of their top players to get it done. No one does that. Why didn’t Geelong ask for McGovern when they were losing Kelly? Because they would look like a bunch of numpties for even asking the question. It’s a brain dead suggestion to trade him out.

Agree, what i would like to see is Gov become an accountable player. He is dead set a very individual player who plays well only when it is on his terms. Anytime he has to be accountable he struggles.

Agree, what i would like to see is Gov become an accountable player. He is dead set a very individual player who plays well only when it is on his terms. Anytime he has to be accountable he struggles.
You have to take the good with the bad with Gov.
His main weapon is his intercept marking.

Not many defenders get tagged or have teams try and play around him.
That's just how good he is.

I'm sure if you told him to just stick to his man and spoil, he could do it.
But what a weapon we would lose.

Two examples from the GF.

Early in the last quarter he flies for the pill and his man Miochek stays down and kicks a goal.
If he was a true lock down defender, he doesn't leave De Goey when he took off and took that mark.

How many other key defenders can go forward like he did against Port and kick the winner after the siren?
We might not make top two if we don't win that.

Before this year, he was recognized as the best defender in the game 4 years running.

Talk about trading him is absurd.
We would be a laughing stock of a club if we did that.

As for his style of play, I'll take that every day of the week against a serial spoiler.

You have to take the good with the bad with Gov.
His main weapon is his intercept marking.

Not many defenders get tagged or have teams try and play around him.
That's just how good he is.

I'm sure if you told him to just stick to his man and spoil, he could do it.
But what a weapon we would lose.

Two examples from the GF.

Early in the last quarter he flies for the pill and his man Miochek stays down and kicks a goal.
If he was a true lock down defender, he doesn't leave De Goey when he took off and took that mark.

How many other key defenders can go forward like he did against Port and kick the winner after the siren?
We might not make top two if we don't win that.

Before this year, he was recognized as the best defender in the game 4 years running.

Talk about trading him is absurd.
We would be a laughing stock of a club if we did that.

As for his style of play, I'll take that every day of the week against a serial spoiler.

I made a halfhearted suggestion last year to trade Gov for the No 1 draft pick so Wce could draft Matt Rowell..

Didn’t get any likes at all so that was the end of that idea ..

Gov for Cripps I would do to improve the midfield depth and get a instant ball magnet..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I made a halfhearted suggestion last year to trade Gov for the No 1 draft pick so Wce could draft Matt Rowell..

Didn’t get any likes at all so that was the end of that idea ..

Gov for Cripps I would do to improve the midfield depth and get a instant ball magnet..

WC don't usually try to trade players who don't want to go.

Especially one who is a Perth boy, VC and 4 times AA.

WC don't usually try to trade players who don't want to go.

Especially one who is a Perth boy, VC and 4 times AA.

He’s 28 and will be 29 yrs old in April and now getting injuries.. If he wanted to finish his playing career alongside his brother I would support that ..

He’s 28 and will be 29 yrs old in April and now getting injuries.. If he wanted to finish his playing career alongside his brother I would support that ..

I think Gov's been pretty durable over his career.
Has only done 1 hammy this year.

Can't see him wanting to leave.
His brother will probably get the arse from Carlton before long anyway.

I think the ‘want to play with my sibling cause’ only applies if a) the sibling is any good and b) the lesser sibling moves to play with the better one.

Can I be honest here?

Im a 35 year old man. Ive lived through many hardships in my life. I have battled my whole way through life

Reading this idiotic thread though was my biggest challenge
Be thankful you've had a VERY VERY charmed life then if this is your biggest challenge.

Out of curiosity, what would you value you him at picks or pick/s and player wise? (Please no comments about being priceless or similar)
True trade value currently?

Also, what do you identify as the biggest need for our team right now in terms of player style?

I think the ‘want to play with my sibling cause’ only applies if a) the sibling is any good and b) the lesser sibling moves to play with the better one.

There is no A or B scenario it’s the opportunity should it arise to say , yes okay .. And be selfless , like say as a example Kennedy when he left Carlton ..

Last edited:
There is no A or B scenario it’s the opportunity should it arise to say , yes okay .. And be selfless , like say as a example Kennedy when he left Carlton ..

Honestly have no idea what your point is.

Your post I responded to said if McGovern wanted to play with his brother, you'd support that.

Now you talk about selflessness? Why would someone leaving for a personal desire to play with their brother be considered a selfless act? Do you instead mean if the trade was initiated by the Eagles?

You're shifting the goal posts.

Your post I responded to said if McGovern wanted to play with his brother, you'd support that.

Now you talk about selflessness? Why would someone leaving for a personal desire to play with their brother be considered a selfless act? Do you instead mean if the trade was initiated by the Eagles?

You ain't the Lone Ranger.

Yeah sorry I need to rethink the assumption that your following along ..
Your point A or B makes no sense and is irrelevant..

Both of them in the same team is not required and actually hurts the team defensively as both play too offensive.

Both have good currency and could get a built inside mid, which is what WC lack. A stopper defensive player to replace them is much easier to find and will do the job like Schofield (had he played vs Collingwood instead of McGovern result would have been different)
How would the team have performed vs Bulldogs and today without McGovern and with someone like Josh Dunkley instead?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another slow as treacle midfielder?

Seriously you think another turtle will help us win when everything about the game has been sped up by the new rule changes
When the team is being smashed in clearances and contested ball in the clearances yes it will, a lot more than a defender who tries to intercept everything and gives up 3-4 goals a game in the process.

The Gov needs to cut out the silly errors - has given away at least 3 goals these last 2 weeks with poor disposal, and poor decision making.

The Gov needs to cut out the silly errors - has given away at least 3 goals these last 2 weeks with poor disposal, and poor decision making.
It's not only the kicking, it's the fact he tries to mark so many times when he should spoil. Yeah he might mark it once every 5 times but the 4 times he doesn't mark it the ball often ends up going for a goal. The team play and the percentage play is to spoil the ball forward or towards the boundary

When the team is being smashed in clearances and contested ball in the clearances yes it will
It's almost like we're missing our two best inside mids who win the majority of our contested footy

It's almost like we're missing our two best inside mids who win the majority of our contested footy
Why is there no depth? In a world of salary caps, it's impossible to be stacked in every position but WC has an abundance of KPP so why not give 1 of them up to improve the team in an area of the team where there is a weakness?

Why is there no depth? In a world of salary caps, it's impossible to be stacked in every position but WC has an abundance of KPP so why not give 1 of them up to improve the team in an area of the team where there is a weakness?
We've got depth, but you're taking a Norm Smith Medallist and a 2x BnF out of our midfield.

Take Pendlebury and Sidebottom out of the Pies engine room and see how their clearance numbers look. Likewise Bontempelli and Macrae, Coniglio and Tarranto, etc.

We've got depth, but you're taking a Norm Smith Medallist and a 2x BnF out of our midfield.

Take Pendlebury and Sidebottom out of the Pies engine room and see how their clearance numbers look. Likewise Bontempelli and Macrae, Coniglio and Tarranto, etc.
Collingwood midfield still has Adams and Crisp to win contested ball but yes their midfield would be weak like WC without those 2. Bulldogs not a good comparison as they have a billion mids who can win contested ball - Libba, Smith, Dunkley etc. GWS has Ward, Hopper and Kelly still so doubt Cogs and Taranto being out would affect them that much.

Problem is unlike Shuey & Yeo, the others (Sheed, Redden, Kelly) aren't close to being consistent enough or can't impact the result like them, so it's a lot more noticeable when those 2 are missing.

They need to sit him down and tell him it's not good enough. No way he should be captaining the side at the moment, go back and start playing like someone with 4AA and on nearly $1M a year first.

The rot started with his errors. Made the less experienced players in defence nervous and then our transition game disappeared. Was an absolutely putrid performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back