Trade Period Guide

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I think there was one of these years ago, I had a search and couldn't find it.

Just some loose guidelines if you lose your bearings this trade period.

StagePlayer coming to your clubPlayer leaving your club
Prior to a trade
Reaction to the news or rumour of a trade requestThe positive impact should be very shortly lived, as thoughts turn to concerns about overpaying.Can be a range of negative emotions, or faux positivity to cover up these negative emotions.
Initial view of trade valueYou barely even want to the player.
or
You're ok with trading for the player, if they don’t cost massive overs.

Massive overs = fair value
You just want a fair deal.

Fair deal = massive overs
How draft picks should be referred toRefer to current pick values, before the potential impact of father-sons and free-agency compo.Push back picks as far as possible, citing the massive impact that compo and bid matching will have.
Draft strengthIt's actually pretty strongIt drops off massively.
If the player is contractedWe should just wait for next year and get him free/cheap.Pay up or no deal.
If the player is uncontractedThey should take what they can get.Have a preference for the player to go to another club for nothing over accepting unders.
Draft IndexUse to justify offers of multiple lower picks.Point out that the Draft Index over-values lower picks.
How big the rumoured salary isIt’s nowhere near what is being reported.It’s the highest amount that anyone has reported.
How salary should impact trade valueJust because it’s a good deal doesn’t mean we have to pay overs.If the club poaching the player is willing to pay him top dollar, they should pay up at the trade table.
Post-trade
Initial reactionCan’t believe we over-paid that much. Our club is so weak.We were robbed! Our club is so weak.
Secondary reaction to tradeBitterness, which is very slowly replaced by positivity about the player.Bitterness, which is very slowly replaced by positivity about the draft.

What else needs to be added?

Last edited:
Player in - refer to the age the player will be after their birthday next year. E.g if a player is turning 25 in Nov 2022, they are “26 next year.”

Player out - use their current age, note any recent birthdays, and avoid mentioning upcoming birthdays. E.g. “26 next year? FFS, he’s 24!”

Last edited:

Needs - PSD threats, comparisons to irrelevant trades (say Gibbs or Treloar) for establishing value.

168521.jpg

Not sure if they belong in that table but some of my favourites this time of year is

• Every club has frontloaded ALL the contracts and/or has salary space because a handful of spuds are OOC.
  • Many on Bigfooty apparently have intimate knowledge of salary caps (usually their own team but sometimes more) but strangely never reveal their source. Will then, in the same breath "LOL" when someone quotes a figure from an actual journalist. As if a professional knows more than an idiot on a forum just making stuff up.
  • Absolutely need the PSD threat.

Not sure if they belong in that table but some of my favourites this time of year is

• Every club has frontloaded ALL the contracts and/or has salary space because a handful of spuds are OOC.
  • Many on Bigfooty apparently have intimate knowledge of salary caps (usually their own team but sometimes more) but strangely never reveal their source. Will then, in the same breath "LOL" when someone quotes a figure from an actual journalist. As if a professional knows more than an idiot on a forum just making stuff up.
  • Absolutely need the PSD threat.
It's an interesting phenomenon, but usually, the BF poster is more accurate than the professional.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Twomey said 55 this week.
He said pick 40 on SEN breakfast

If he can't be consistent what hope do we have

Edit: It's probably not inconsistent actually. I think he said on SEN that teams don't want to make selections after pick 40. Indicating that there's maybe additional picks made of guys that are lucky to fill a list spot

He said pick 40 on SEN breakfast

If he can't be consistent what hope do we have

Edit: It's probably not inconsistent actually. I think he said on SEN that teams don't want to make selections after pick 40. Indicating that there's maybe additional picks made of guys that are lucky to fill a list spot
50 would selections would be an incredible all time low which I'd expect. I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if it's less than that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50 would selections would be an incredible all time low which I'd expect. I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if it's less than that
Officially there has to be 18*3 picks taken, including rookie upgrades, so minimum 54 official picks (although rookies aren’t read out on draft night and there’s no competition to draft them).

But the addition of SSP, DFA, MSD has diluted the size of the draft crop by removing most of the half-decent overage players from it, so clubs are now less likely to take more picks than that unless there’s a particularly talented and deep pool of 18 year olds.

Officially there has to be 18*3 picks taken, including rookie upgrades, so minimum 54 official picks (although rookies aren’t read out on draft night and there’s no competition to draft them).

But the addition of SSP, DFA, MSD has diluted the size of the draft crop by removing most of the half-decent overage players from it, so clubs are now less likely to take more picks than that unless there’s a particularly talented and deep pool of 18 year olds.
Yeah agreed, the extra draft pathways have significantly diluted the pool and it’s been trending down. It’s still not getting below 50 in an 18 team comp anytime soon IMO

I think the cats probably elevating at least one rookie and they count in that total I think, so if every club elevated 2x rookies then minimum would be 18 wouldn't it? I could be wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back