Trade period is too long

Remove this Banner Ad

Every year the exact some complaints will arise, the trade period should be 3 days thats it!

Clubs are doing half days and not even showing up.

This is an absolute joke, but it happens every year!

The AFL change everything else why not this?
You'd still lose players and embarrass yourselves if it was 3 days. Just quicker.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's probably not long enough. Doesn't really make sense to have an arbitrary cut off so long before even pre-season training starts. Should just be open, same with adding players to lists that have been overlooked in the draft - cut it all off at some point before the season starts
I lean more this way as well.
I'd have player movement open on Draft night, and continue all the way up to the week of the first preseason game.
I don't get why they all need to get together, face to face, in order to discuss and negotiate trades. It's 2017, have we not heard of telephones? Conference calls? Skype? Video calls?
I like the idea of a 'trade week', but I'd like that to occur mid season.

Only feels long because of the constant massive media attention through the entire thing. If we didn't have trade radio spurting the same rubbish over and over again and we just caught the news etc when trades actually happened like for the EPL it'd be fine

It's probably not long enough. Doesn't really make sense to have an arbitrary cut off so long before even pre-season training starts. Should just be open, same with adding players to lists that have been overlooked in the draft - cut it all off at some point before the season starts
Agreed. It's got to be one of if not the shortest trade/transfer periods in world sport.

I cannot believe the stupidity of the argument to make it shorter because it's "boring"

Trade week is not designed to be action packed and entertaining for the fans. It's designed to give clubs adequate time to make deals.
If anything, it should be slightly longer, if anything.

This latest trade period has been nothing short of an overhyped & overdrawn borefest.

Six days in and we have what, 4-5 trades done ??

You can't tell me that the clubs haven't been speaking about potential trades well before this Trade Week commenced, in fact you'd be silly not to think some deals may have been spoken about during the regular season.

Now what we end up with is a series of convoluted deals which replicate a science formula and are all based around other clubs doing other long-winded deals to get the necessary bartering chips to set the dominos in motion.

The longer the trade period is, the less number of deals seem to get done. Everyone (myself included) was expecting this one to be a complete bonanza with a record number of deals being done.

I realise that the AFL like it dragging on for a longer period as it keeps their brand in the news and being talked about in the media as opposed to giving the soccer code a free hit on the airwaves.

But seriously, Gillon you big numpty, it's time for a permanent change to this charade.

You can schedule it at the same time every year, I can live with that but FFS, shorten it to something that is worth having. A three day event would achieve just as much, if not more, than a nine day event.

Now I've never been to an AFL trade event but here's how I would run it :

(i) three day event, Tues-Thurs, 9am-9pm
(ii) dedicated event space that is neutral to all clubs (like an auditorium)
(iii) each club is given their own office/booth complete with whiteboards, noticeboard, filing cabinet etc to conduct their activities from (they have to be separated from each other so there is no eaves-dropping)
(iv) each club has to prepare & supply to all of the other 17-clubs, a list of those players they would be open to trading & the reason why they would trade them (eg. like him to play finals, can't get a run in our midfield etc)
(v) each club has to prepare & supply to all of the other 17-clubs, their own specific shopping list of player types they are looking for in that trade period
(vi) the AFL sit at the end of the auditorium with their computers & administrative aids to ratify all deals as they are done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately, as Carlton fans, its all we have had to look forward to in regards to AFL over the past long, long, miserable 10+ years.....and even then we have cocked up on numerous occasions!!!

Oh well.......such is life.

Go BLUE'S!!

So why does the AFL run a thing called "Trade Radio" ??

Because they understand that there is also a public interest in what goes on with trading?

In your opinion, how do you rank the importance of the following in regards to trade week

- How entertaining it is for the fans
- A teams ability to get stronger by targeting other teams players
- Players ability to move to another club/state
- Teams ability to do due diligence on any players they may bring in

I think that the length of any persons ideal trade period would be guessable based on their answers to the above.

This latest trade period has been nothing short of an overhyped & overdrawn borefest.

Six days in and we have what, 4-5 trades done ??

You can't tell me that the clubs haven't been speaking about potential trades well before this Trade Week commenced, in fact you'd be silly not to think some deals may have been spoken about during the regular season.

Now what we end up with is a series of convoluted deals which replicate a science formula and are all based around other clubs doing other long-winded deals to get the necessary bartering chips to set the dominos in motion.

The longer the trade period is, the less number of deals seem to get done. Everyone (myself included) was expecting this one to be a complete bonanza with a record number of deals being done.

I realise that the AFL like it dragging on for a longer period as it keeps their brand in the news and being talked about in the media as opposed to giving the soccer code a free hit on the airwaves.

But seriously, Gillon you big numpty, it's time for a permanent change to this charade.

You can schedule it at the same time every year, I can live with that but FFS, shorten it to something that is worth having. A three day event would achieve just as much, if not more, than a nine day event.

Now I've never been to an AFL trade event but here's how I would run it :

(i) three day event, Tues-Thurs, 9am-9pm
(ii) dedicated event space that is neutral to all clubs (like an auditorium)
(iii) each club is given their own office/booth complete with whiteboards, noticeboard, filing cabinet etc to conduct their activities from (they have to be separated from each other so there is no eaves-dropping)
(iv) each club has to prepare & supply to all of the other 17-clubs, a list of those players they would be open to trading & the reason why they would trade them (eg. like him to play finals, can't get a run in our midfield etc)
(v) each club has to prepare & supply to all of the other 17-clubs, their own specific shopping list of player types they are looking for in that trade period
(vi) the AFL sit at the end of the auditorium with their computers & administrative aids to ratify all deals as they are done

Freo want pick 2 for Weller to go to the Gold Coast!!
These kind of blockbusters not doing it for you?

Me either.

The actual level of activity in no way matches the blanket coverage.
It's two weeks of sizzle, and one minute of sausage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back