Trade Period Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people seem on here seem to be determined to not rate any player traded into the club.

Yet the same people will talk up our own players who’ve never played a game or AFL footy and they’ve probably never seen play.

BigFooty at its best.
I haven't heard anything plausible that explains why Guthrie (Kolodjasni and Aitkins) were ahead in Clark's preferred position. At full strength none of those three make it into our defence.

He definitely has to show he is worth his spot in best 22 for me.

I haven't heard anything plausible that explains why Guthrie (Kolodjasni and Aitkins) were ahead in Clark's preferred position. At full strength none of those three make it into our defence.

He definitely has to show he is worth his spot in best 22 for me.

I don’t see Clark as a HBF but he’s our best winger and Aish is the only one that comes close.

Re the Brodie trade, I'm pretty sure we offered him an additional year and have spread his $400k across the two years which softens the blow considerably. Making use of available cap space for picks is f*n genius and shows how our list management team is actively thinking outside the box.

I do worry that we're shaping up a little bit like GWS with a bucketload of young talent that will demand big $$ when we're hitting our window, but ultimately you can't be scared of having too many good players if you want some silverware.
What makes you "pretty sure"? I hope it is but haven't seen anything indicating that is what happened.

Of course Clark is best 22. That's why we traded for him. Brodie was more of a free hit though.

All you need to know about bigfooty could be explained by comparing Freo supporters assessment of the value of Rory Lobb at mid season this year and mid last week.
People on here were trading Sean Darcy 12 months ago.

Lobb and Colyer do not prove this at all. They are solid best 22 players. Lobb has easily been worth two pick downgrades and Colyer has easily surpassed the cost of a fourth rounder.

Conca, Kersten and Acres were worth what we paid for them. Conca was worth bringing to the club, the other two not so much. You get what you pay for - every club has traded in players for **** all and most give them **** all. It isn’t a Freo thing.

Clark is easily a best 22 winger at the club. In fact he’s our best winger.
Lobb is a spud, and was a waste of picks.

I don't believe you trade in depth players, especially during a rebuild. They are a waste of list spots.

Clark says he wants to play at half back.

Here is my view....

1. I knew we would get that type of trade for Adam Cerra. I did fear Carlton were going to trade pick 6 for Brisbanes picks 15 and 18 and give us 18 and their pick 61.

2. Freo wins that trade even if we finish bottom. Will Boradie is the steak knives in that deal. Pick 18, 61 and 69 is good. trading a future 2nd and 4th seems ok at the time. Just hope freo nails picks 19, 61 and 69.

3. a wasted trade. Why trade away a future 3rd rounder to improve 5 more spots?

4. Hoping Jordan clark plays well. I would of rather trade pick 19 and kept pick 22 and Carltons future 3rd instead....

regardless where freo finishes in 2022. Like in 2018, freo has no 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder. They only got a 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th rounder

As it stands, the freo board saw where freo finished: We got 10 wins and traded a couple of late picks in 2022. We lose Cerra but got Will Broadie and Jordan Clark in the trade period.

Peter Bell has made his intentions clear: Make finals in 2022.

If we dont and freo fail miserably and finish bottom 6 again, Justin Longmuir is likely to be sacked and some older fringe players on decent coin will be gone too...

I await freos 2022 fixture.
I agree with a lot of this. Just a couple of things I'd add though. or clarify:

2. Those later picks may be for NGA bids. We may also take more than 3 players at the draft. We needed those picks.
3. Geelong wouldn't accept 27 in the Clark trade, so we needed to get something better (ie 22). Without that trade, Clark is at Geelong.
4. 19 is significantly more valuable to live trade than 22 and a F3. I think they want that flexibility.

We have Geelong's 4th, so we're just missing a F2nd and F3rd.

There's no intention here that screens "Make finals in 2022". By taking 6, 8 and 19 to the draft, it's almost the opposite.

I'll call it here - there's no way Longmuit is sacked in 12 months. He's ticked every box.

I think you might find that Clark will play where the coach wants him, which will likely be a wing where he fulfils a need.
He literally said he is happy to play where the coach wants him but feels he played his best footy at half back.

I guess the translation of that is 'he can only play half back and this trade is failure already'.

Pretty sure he makes our best 22 as a half back anyway.

Lobb is a spud, and was a waste of picks.

I don't believe you trade in depth players, especially during a rebuild. They are a waste of list spots.

Clark says he wants to play at half back.
If Lobb is a spud then you may as well say 650 out of 800 odd AFL players are spuds

The negativity you show towards him is far beyond irrational. I find your opinion on him beyond ridiculous - I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
If Lobb is a spud then you may as well say 650 out of 800 odd AFL players are spuds

The negativity you show towards him is far beyond irrational. I find your opinion on him beyond ridiculous - I'll leave it at that.
700k a year, a first round pick given up during a rebuild, for a goal a game, no pressure, no effort, for a player who will not be part of our next premiership push.

What is not to love about him. :p

The only one we really stuffed up was Hogan. I think we got bitten trying to be too clever with pick trades, particularly when Henry was bid on. Also the constant trading of future picks annoys me so much (look at Richmond's hand this year for an example of doing the opposite). To the contrary though everyone is applauding Melbourne now for trading future firsts but they got reallly lucky. Collingwood did similar with Beams/Treloar and are really paying for it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He literally said he is happy to play where the coach wants him but feels he played his best footy at half back.

I guess the translation of that is 'he can only play half back and this trade is failure already'.

Pretty sure he makes our best 22 as a half back anyway.
Him making it in our side as a hbf is worth criticising as list management.

He wasn't best 22 at Geelong in that or any other role.

The club has just extended Hughes contract by 3 years in that position. That would be a questionable list management decision.

Walker had an outstanding debut year in that position. I would be disappointed if we have brought in Clark to play ahead of Walker.

Outside of our KPD players (Pearce, Hamling, Cox) almost all other defenders on our list play that position. We also delisted several that play hbf.

Clark makes an excellent replacement for Wilson, and that is the only argument I see that he is worth trading in to our defence. However I can't say that he is an upgrade on Wilson. I think Wilson is in the final year of his contract and will turn 29, so is entering the twilight zone. But there is no urgency to replace him.

Last edited:
I'm still not convinced our forward line can improve when both Tabs and Lobb are in it. Which is why I wasn't totally against letting Lobb go if the deal was good.

People will point to their contested marking being critical but that comes at a massive expense of forward pressure and effectiveness when the ball hits the ground.

Lobb averaged 0.5 tackles i50 per game this year (48th of KPFs in the league).
Tabs averaged 0.1 tackles i50 per game this year (60th of KPFs in the league - pretty much the worst key forward for it in the AFL)

As a comparison Ben Brown had 1.2 per game and Tom McDonald had 1.1 per game.

Similarly they are way at the back-end of key forwards for f50 ground ball gets -> 39th and 48th respectively.

McDonald (1.5), Brown (1.4) versus Lobb (1.0) and Tabs (0.9)

Not fair lumping our lack of forward line effectiveness all on them though as our small forwards didn't rate any better...

Switta (70th), Walters (86th), Colyer (87th), Crowden (89th), Schultz (90th), Henry (100th), Freddy (115th) of general forwards for tackles i50 (average per game).

Somewhat interestingly Liam Henry was the only Fremantle general forward to appear in the top 40 for f50 ground ball gets (23rd).

Treacy was the only shining light when you look at the numbers (a stark contrast to Belnakor's post in the other thread). He was 8th for tackles i50 and 24th for f50 ground ball gets. He was also the #1 KPF in the AFL for pressure acts per game. It's a great foundation to build from for an 18yo KPF coming off the rookie list in his first season.

I'm still not convinced our forward line can improve when both Tabs and Lobb are in it. Which is why I wasn't totally against letting Lobb go if the deal was good.

People will point to their contested marking being critical but that comes at a massive expense of forward pressure and effectiveness when the ball hits the ground.

Tabs averaged 0.1 tackles i50 per game this year (60th of KPFs in the league - pretty much the worst key forward for it in the AFL)

Similarly they are way at the back-end of key forwards for f50 ground ball gets -> 39th and 48th respectively.

Not fair lumping our lack of forward line effectiveness all on them though as our small forwards didn't rate any better...

Switta (70th), Walters (86th), Colyer (87th), Crowden (89th), Schultz (90th), Henry (100th), Freddy (115th) of general forwards for tackles i50 (average per game).

Somewhat interestingly Liam Henry was the only Fremantle general forward to appear in the top 40 for f50 ground ball gets (23rd).

Treacy was the only shining light when you look at the numbers (a stark contrast to Belnakor's post in the other thread). He was 8th for tackles i50 and 24th for f50 ground ball gets. He was also the #1 KPF in the AFL for pressure acts per game. It's a great foundation to build from for an 18yo KPF coming off the rookie list in his first season.

That is the bigger issue

I'd be quite content with none of our forwards registering a tackle inside fifty all season if it's because they don't let the opposition touch the ball inside our attacking fifty. I suspect forward fifty stoppages are low for us and that most of the tackles league wide are registered around them.
We had the 2nd highest rebound 50s against in the AFL. We were also dead last for rebound 50 differential.

Our s**t goal accuracy obviously doesn't help that either but our forward line is clearly s**t house at more than just kicking at goals.

edit... before anyone blames the midfield again...

We had the lowest Clearances against of any team and the 4th best clearance differential. We were middle of the pack with i50s, i50s against and i50 differential.

We had the 2nd highest rebound 50s against in the AFL. We were also dead last for rebound 50 differential.

Our sh*t goal accuracy obviously doesn't help that either but our forward line is clearly sh*t house at more than just kicking at goals.
We can fix that with some fumbled marks over the boundary, but it won't fix the real problem which you mentioned above.

Do you have stats/rankings for pressure acts for forwards other than Treacy?

I see numbers like that (and see with my own eyes the lack of tackling I50) and I find it very difficult to believe that it's not a coaching/game plan thing. Sure, Tabs almost never looks even close to thinking about laying a tackle, but the likes of Switta, Walters, Schultz, Crowden (once nicknamed "spleen rupturer" for his tackling!) are all capable. So either they're just being lazy and unprofessional (doubtful), or they're being directed to concentrate on other things (e.g. pressure acts that allow them to keep their feet, so as to enable them to add more pressure through chasing, etc.). At the very least, they're not being chastised/dropped for failing to tackle.

his forward pressure is fine because he is keen as mustard but he has averaged less than a goal a game and 7.6 disposals a game.

his forward pressure is fine because he is keen as mustard but he has averaged less than a goal a game and 7.6 disposals a game.
He's only 18 though and came off the rookie list. Kicked more goals a game than Tabs and Lobb did in their first couple of years. Give him some time - him even playing AFL games is impressive enough imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back