AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
What trades were you happy with?

1. Fremantle trade Adam Cerra to Carlton for #6 and F3

2. Gold Coast trade Will Brodie, #19, #61 & #69 to Fremantle for F2 and F4

3. Collingwood trade #22 to Fremantle for #27 and F3

4. Geelong trade Jordan Clark and F4 to Fremantle for #22 and F3 (Carl)

Here is my shot.

1. I don't think we got value for Cerra, but it is hard one to get value for. Out of contract, and heading home, you need to take what you can get.
2. If we use 61 and 69 this deal is ok, otherwise I think it is a poor trade. Taking on 400k over salary for a player is always a risk, especially one who is not best 22 at the Gold Coast. (Based on the report he wants to play back flank, when we have equal or better players. )
3 and 4. 27, F3 and F3 is too much for Clark. Once again we bring in a non best 22 player on a long term deal, I think we will be regretting this like we are with Clark, Lobb and co.

Our weaknesses going into the trade week was our forward line, and outside run and speed, but we have brought in a back flanker with average skills, and an inside mid and given up good picks and salary cap to get them.

On top of that, we have kept Lobb, who may have given us some picks back to hit the draft.

Questions for others, who does Clark and\or Brodie push out of the best 22?

If they are not best 22 or even best 25, why did we bring them in.

B: Logue - Cox - Ryan
HB: Young - Pearce - Walker
C: Frederick - Brayshaw - Colyer
HF: Fyfe - Treacy - Sturt
FF: Walters - Tabs - Lobb
Ruc: Darcy - Mundy - Serong

Bench: Aish- Chapman - Pick 6 - Pick 8

Emergency: Hamling, Tucker, Wilson, Schultz,

Last edited:

So you write all that, stick Colyer on a wing, say Brodie isn’t best 22 at Gold Coast who are worse than us, then stick him in the middle, say Clark is not best 22 then name 6 and 8 who aren’t even here yet?

ru ok?
This is what I get for copying someone else best 22. Fixed

I appreciate your opinion. Are Brodie and Clark best 22? If so, who do they push out and why?

In terms of the actual trades I would have liked more for Cerra and to pay less for Clark. Brodie trade very good.

I'm over losing Cez. He's a very good player but ultimately if he would rather play for Carlton it's his loss. We can replace him in the short-term moving Walters back into the middle and our draft picks (alongside the other talent on our list) give us a good shot at replacing him in the long-term.

Being paid to take Brodie is great for us. Kid seems like he has a great attitude and some good attributes, and if he can work his way into our 22 he'll add something new to that young core.

Clark I've wanted for a while, so I'm happy to get him. Adds some pace back into our side and if he comes with a point to prove we can still come out on top in the long-term for the trade.

Our draft hand (picks 6, 8 and 19) looks very good right now. With some smart recruiting it'll add to our young core and set us up for years to come.

Overall outside of the trades that weren't in our favour we're in a pretty good position now.

All of those trades are good. They could all be slightly better in terms of value to us but what can you do, we did chase a contracted player and lose an uncontracted one.

As a whole they work too.

Clark is a list need on the wing, assuming they don't go insane and try to play him hbf with everyone else in the team.

Brodie I think will be more likely delisted in 3 years than not but the only cost is salary which we're not pressed for. Also a nice change to the midget brigade.

Cerra deal - unders. Only just in my opinion. The dealing of clubs in good faith can be a future good thing. Will wait to see the impact of pick 6.

Brodie deal - has to be the best win by any club in the trade period. Even if Brodie doesn’t play another AFL game I’d have done the trade in a heartbeat. Pick 19 is glorious.

Pies deal - seemed rushed through. Possibly should have done it before pick 19 deal. Have us the pick to get Clark, but think we could’ve done this better.

Clark - Happy to pick him up. Has an opportunity, but that’s all it is. Could be feast or famine or just average. Could we have found better with pick 22 in draft? Debatable. So, good to bring in someone who should improve us.

As a sum of parts I’d say we come out favourably. So much will hinge on our draft.

In terms of the actual trades I would have liked more for Cerra and to pay less for Clark. Brodie trade very good.

I'm over losing Cez. He's a very good player but ultimately if he would rather play for Carlton it's his loss. We can replace him in the short-term moving Walters back into the middle and our draft picks (alongside the other talent on our list) give us a good shot at replacing him in the long-term.

Being paid to take Brodie is great for us. Kid seems like he has a great attitude and some good attributes, and if he can work his way into our 22 he'll add something new to that young core.

Clark I've wanted for a while, so I'm happy to get him. Adds some pace back into our side and if he comes with a point to prove we can still come out on top in the long-term for the trade.

Our draft hand (picks 6, 8 and 19) looks very good right now. With some smart recruiting it'll add to our young core and set us up for years to come.

Overall outside of the trades that weren't in our favour we're in a pretty good position now.
Yeah this for me. Two trades weren't in our favour balanced out by gold coast the gift that keeps on giving.
Overall okay, not a disaster and not a triumph

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perfect world we keep Cerra, but that was out of our hands.

In the imperfect world:
Keeping Lobb is a plus. Presumably we draft a kpf with pick 6 or 8 and it will take a few years for them plus Treacy to get up to their future potential. Lobb helps us transition to the future. Hopefully he won't be too miffed and will play hard for us in good faith.
Brodie. A win even if you only looked at it as buying pick 19 for a salary dump. I personally think Brodie will be b22 and will always look like he belongs in purple, He didn't get a chance at his old club because of the excellent and experienced talents that he competed for a spot with, it wasn't that he wasn't good enough.
Clark. Sure, we didn't get a bargain basement. But it was a fair price, not a rip off. Supply/demand were in Geelong's favour, knowing that we need speed/endurance. We'll enjoy watching him tear down the wing, ball in hand, seemingly unstoppable and realise what an excellent trade it was.

Getting players wanting to come to our team also sends a good message to young players and the league in general. Far better to be sought after than be a pariah. Also, Brodie and Clark are at a really sweet age to come into this team, these trades can give us upwards of a decade of service, it's better value to spend a coin once rather than 2-3 times (e.g on 26+ year olds).

Last edited:
The boys done good. Got what we could for Cerra, massively improved our draft hand and imported two players with massive potential upside in areas of need.

Brodie is a big body and, based on previous work, is worst case a clearance beast, and more than handy defensively (we've been missing that since Subes/De Boer), best case he can contribute in the forward line too.

Clarke is, again, worst case a handy set of wheels and long term Wilson replacement, best case a genuine superstar. The rebound potential of him and Walker off half back threatens to leave me in a perpetual state of priapism.

Took what they had and nailed it. Just gotta get the draft right now...

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So you write all that, stick Colyer on a wing, say Brodie isn’t best 22 at Gold Coast who are worse than us, then stick him in the middle, say Clark is not best 22 then name 6 and 8 who aren’t even here yet?

ru ok?
There is some good news if anyone looks into Brodie's performances last year. Gold Coast seconds play in the VFL which is a superior competition to the WAFL in my opinion. At VFL level he dominated averaging 31 possessions and being awarded GC's best vfl player. No Dockers mid played anywhere near that level when dropped back to the WAFL last year. The main reason he didnt get a game was that he was competing against players who were either elite young talent that GC wanted to get games into or the veterans that were required to play in such a young team. Brodie was the odd men out. With only 1 year guaranteed he is fighting for his career. Him and Darcy Tucker are two players who if they got themselves to peak fitness could be major surprises next year.

Here is my shot.

1. I don't think we got value for Cerra, but it is hard one to get value for. Out of contract, and heading home, you need to take what you can get.
2. If we use 61 and 69 this deal is ok, otherwise I think it is a poor trade. Taking on 400k over salary for a player is always a risk, especially one who is not best 22 at the Gold Coast. (Based on the report he wants to play back flank, when we have equal or better players. )
3 and 4. 27, F3 and F3 is too much for Clark. Once again we bring in a non best 22 player on a long term deal, I think we will be regretting this like we are with Clark, Lobb and co.

Our weaknesses going into the trade week was our forward line, and outside run and speed, but we have brought in a back flanker with average skills, and an inside mid and given up good picks and salary cap to get them.

On top of that, we have kept Lobb, who may have given us some picks back to hit the draft.

geez you would be good fun at parties.

Here is my shot.

It’s hard to take anything you’ve written seriously if you don’t think the Brodie trade was anything but a gigantic win.

I can’t decide if you have an extreme confidence in Wallsy or it’s just an extension of your ‘only draft’ views but I’ll s**t a brick if 6 and 8 are in the starting best 22 come round 1

Not entirely happy about what we traded for Clark, but ultimately a future 3rd is a junk pick. I'm more concerned about whatever long term deal we're giving a fringe player. Again. But I guess eventually one of those trades has to work out.
The Brodie deal was brilliant, and a great way to use Cerra's cap space. If he turns out half decent then it's a bonus.

Great to see the crew that think every Freo trade is a bad trade are back before the end of the day trade finished.

Very high chance Pick 22 and a pointless upgrade for Jordan Clark looks like a bargain as soon as next year. Brodie doesn’t need to anything for the trade to be considered a success.

Losing Adam Cerra aside, I think we’ve done well to improve the remainder of the list we have tbh.

The Cerra trade and Collingwood pick swap aren’t ideal in isolation but overall I think we’ve done okay.

- Brodie trade incredible anyway you look at it
- Cerra trade crap but when you look at what Sydney got for Dawson you appreciate it a bit more
- Overpaid for Clark on his current output, no other way about it BUT he has time to make it a worthwhile trade and there’s no doubt the kid has talent to burn. Plus, Geelong generally let players go without fuss if they don’t rate them, they fight for the ones they do rate.
- Collingwood trade is whatever

I don't agree with your best 22, but Clark would be ahead of Frederick and probably would be in defence ahead of either Wilson or Walker, although not a lot in it.

Brodie's time is when Mundy retires or is rested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back