Trade Period Review

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought it was one of our better trade periods. We went into it losing one of our young stars and with no picks from 27 to 81 and look how we came out.
2 young kids with high potential and a swag of high picks.

Its a win. Two large feather to go to Messrs Bell and Walls for use in their caps.

vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
I'm overall pretty happy with the trade outcomes.
Clark was considered overs by alot of us but I do think he can more than justify it.
Depending on who's taken at 8, the Cerra trade may still come out even.
I think we've got a good one in Walls, personally. I really can't fault him/them this period

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
What trades were you happy with?

1. Fremantle trade Adam Cerra to Carlton for #6 and F3

2. Gold Coast trade Will Brodie, #19, #61 & #69 to Fremantle for F2 and F4

3. Collingwood trade #22 to Fremantle for #27 and F3

4. Geelong trade Jordan Clark and F4 to Fremantle for #22 and F3 (Carl)

Here is my shot.

1. I don't think we got value for Cerra, but it is hard one to get value for. Out of contract, and heading home, you need to take what you can get.
2. If we use 61 and 69 this deal is ok, otherwise I think it is a poor trade. Taking on 400k over salary for a player is always a risk, especially one who is not best 22 at the Gold Coast. (Based on the report he wants to play back flank, when we have equal or better players. )
3 and 4. 27, F3 and F3 is too much for Clark. Once again we bring in a non best 22 player on a long term deal, I think we will be regretting this like we are with Clark, Lobb and co.

Our weaknesses going into the trade week was our forward line, and outside run and speed, but we have brought in a back flanker with average skills, and an inside mid and given up good picks and salary cap to get them.

On top of that, we have kept Lobb, who may have given us some picks back to hit the draft.

Questions for others, who does Clark and\or Brodie push out of the best 22?

If they are not best 22 or even best 25, why did we bring them in.

B: Logue - Cox - Ryan
HB: Young - Pearce - Walker
C: Frederick - Brayshaw - Colyer
HF: Fyfe - Treacy - Sturt
FF: Walters - Tabs - Lobb
Ruc: Darcy - Mundy - Serong

Bench: Aish- Chapman - Pick 6 - Pick 8

Emergency: Hamling, Tucker, Wilson, Schultz,
Strange post this. Brodie we have picked up his contract but only for the one year remaining is my understanding. Certainly not a long term contract. Ideally we would have picked him up as a DFA but an unbelievable opportunity opened up with the North and GCS failed trade. Pick 19 is a cracking pick and no way on earth our F2 is anywhere near that - prob closer to 30. Then we get Brodie, 61 and 69 (two current fourth round picks for a F4).

WB have 4 picks between 43 and 52, and Collingwood 5 picks between 36 and 58. This doesn’t include pick 23(WB) and 27 (Collingwood) and both are likely to be traded out for more picks. The most recent National drafts there have barely been 60 picks in total.

After those first two bids we could be looking at picks 54 and 59 for example. Then they may move further after some more academy picks in the third round.

So the trade was F2 and F4 > Brodie pick 21 (first pick on second night of draft - giving us a full day to accept offers) and then two picks in the 50’s, and you consider that a bad trade. Walls jumped on this quick and it is the best trade easily.

We have plenty of cap space to absorb Brodie’s contract and if he has a good year he can be contracted at a rate we feel is commensurate.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
What trades were you happy with?

1. Fremantle trade Adam Cerra to Carlton for #6 and F3

2. Gold Coast trade Will Brodie, #19, #61 & #69 to Fremantle for F2 and F4

3. Collingwood trade #22 to Fremantle for #27 and F3

4. Geelong trade Jordan Clark and F4 to Fremantle for #22 and F3 (Carl)

Here is my shot.

1. I don't think we got value for Cerra, but it is hard one to get value for. Out of contract, and heading home, you need to take what you can get.
2. If we use 61 and 69 this deal is ok, otherwise I think it is a poor trade. Taking on 400k over salary for a player is always a risk, especially one who is not best 22 at the Gold Coast. (Based on the report he wants to play back flank, when we have equal or better players. )
3 and 4. 27, F3 and F3 is too much for Clark. Once again we bring in a non best 22 player on a long term deal, I think we will be regretting this like we are with Clark, Lobb and co.

Our weaknesses going into the trade week was our forward line, and outside run and speed, but we have brought in a back flanker with average skills, and an inside mid and given up good picks and salary cap to get them.

On top of that, we have kept Lobb, who may have given us some picks back to hit the draft.

Questions for others, who does Clark and\or Brodie push out of the best 22?

If they are not best 22 or even best 25, why did we bring them in.

B: Logue - Cox - Ryan
HB: Young - Pearce - Walker
C: Frederick - Brayshaw - Colyer
HF: Fyfe - Treacy - Sturt
FF: Walters - Tabs - Lobb
Ruc: Darcy - Mundy - Serong

Bench: Aish- Chapman - Pick 6 - Pick 8

Emergency: Hamling, Tucker, Wilson, Schultz,
Clark is a better footballer than Frederick.

(As for other picks in your B22, don't be surprised if Schultz plays rd 1 ahead of one of Sturt or Colyer.)

Patty_Moz

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Overall I’m happy with the trade period. The way I see it:
Out - Cerra, 27, F2, F3
In - Clark, Brodie, 6, 19, 61, 69

I didn’t like the Clark trade, I don’t really mind the cost but think he’ll be a dud. I hope I’m terribly wrong and he plays 150+ games for us. He definitely has potential but definitely some question marks.

The good thing is trading isn’t over yet. We might be able to drop a few places in R2 and cancel out that F2 for next year. Also if Motlop gets picked after 40 we can potentially trade 61 (will be about 52) back a few places, use that for Motlop and nab an extra F4 but also happy to use those late picks.

Initially after the Clark trade I was off it but got over that pretty quickly so well played Bell & Co, feathers all round. Bring on the draft.

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pies deal - seemed rushed through. Possibly should have done it before pick 19 deal. Have us the pick to get Clark, but think we could’ve done this better.

I agree, it does seem a bit unnecessary however it may have been vital to keep Geelong away from pick 19. If we had pick 19 and 27 - Geelong could have really put their foot on pick 19.

Additionally, it demonstrated to Jordan, his manager and the media that we were trying to accommodate for a Clark trade. If the trade didn't go ahead and we didn't do anything else (just offered 27 & a future third)- we would have been seen as the villains of trade period for not giving up 19.

Overall I think we come out slightly ahead in trade week. Largely thanks to Gold Coast. Thanks guys - really appreciate it.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Best possible outcome for Cerra .
Gold coast Brodie deal excellent..
Getting and keeping 19 also excellent.
Bringing in another HBF, why?
Can see why Watson and Bewley were let go but we still have a plethora of back flankers.

Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Best possible outcome for Cerra .
Gold coast Brodie deal excellent..
Getting and keeping 19 also excellent.
Bringing in another HBF, why?
Can see why Watson and Bewley were let go but we still have a plethora of back flankers.
There will have to be some experimentation with players such as Chapman, Young, Walker, Hughes and Cox into other positions.

This very issue was debated vigourously last pre season and now the half back contenders have only increased in number.

It's an exciting position to be in as there is a bucket load of talent waiting to be developed, but how they all fit in is a mystery to me at the minute.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Overall it was

IN: Clark, Brodie, 6, 19, 61,69 F4(Cats)
OUT: Cerra 27, F2, F3, F4

Not terrible in the end

Clark = F2
Brodie = F4
6, 19 = Cerra

61,69 F4 = F3

so we are down about a pick 27 on breaking even

But Cerra out of contract, Clark in contract makes it acceptable

Did the best out of a hard situation in losing Cerra IMO

I wonder if we ever thought about getting or tried to get Ladhams. I'd have easily paid the price Sydney paid and would have then shipped Lobb off for that pick 13 in some way shape or form which seems to have been on the table given GWS were offering it for everybody.

Seems like we might easily have been able to go

Lobb, 19 -> 13, F2
13, F3 -> Ladhams, 16

Tell Geelong 22 or jog on

Minz

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens
Disappointed to lose Cerra, but that's on the player. I hope that he's happy personally and never plays on a winning team. Club did what they could. Brodie worth a punt and no long term risk really; picks = good.

PurpleReign

Cancelled
Jan 29, 2013
I don't agree with your best 22, but Clark would be ahead of Frederick and probably would be in defence ahead of either Wilson or Walker, although not a lot in it.

Brodie's time is when Mundy retires or is rested.
Clark would be ahead of Frederick on talent but he’s got to come in and put in the work now. I think that’s why we all have some reservations about the Clark trade, we’re not sure what he’s going to deliver just yet.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
One thing about Clark and Geelong: it wasn't as if he was the only young-ish player who was concerned about opportunities.

Constable looked to get out but no takers. Perhaps he gets picked up as a DFA?

According to reports, Narkle thought about it before re-signing for another 1 year deal--its like he isn't willing to commit long term to the Cats.

If Clark was the only one who questioned his future at the Cats, you might say he has an attitude problem.

But when 3 young players all publicly question whether they should stay, perhaps that is on Geelong.

Dockers26

Debutant
Sep 27, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder if we ever thought about getting or tried to get Ladhams. I'd have easily paid the price Sydney paid and would have then shipped Lobb off for that pick 13 in some way shape or form which seems to have been on the table given GWS were offering it for everybody.

Lobb, 19 -> 13, F2
13, F3 -> Ladhams, 16

If it was 13 on the table for Lobb and 200k pa I would have done that to be honest. And then worked on Ladhams in or trying to find a way to get Cameron out of Collingwood.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City

Lobb, 19 -> 13, F2
13, F3 -> Ladhams, 16

Seems like we were looking at Cox for a Lobb replacement. (Although I'm not sure from the Tweet if we were set on Cox or it was an option canvassed.)

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seems like we were looking at Cox for a Lobb replacement. (Although I'm not sure from the Tweet if we were set on Cox or it was an option canvassed.)

According to Mason Cox's manager (Pickering) on SEN, Cox and Longmuir had a conversation. So that sounds like it would have been a real possibility if Lobb went.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
If history is anything to go on the chances Clark and Brodie are better players at Freo than their previous club is pretty slim

Traded in players since day dot

5% - much better at Freo than their previous club

20% - slightly better or about the same

35% - slightly worse at Freo

30% - shithouse

10% - ******* unmitigated disaster

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
If history is anything to go on the chances Clark and Brodie are better players at Freo than their previous club is pretty slim

Traded in players since day dot

5% - much better at Freo than their previous club

20% - slightly better or about the same

35% - slightly worse at Freo

30% - shithouse

10% - ******* unmitigated disaster

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Can you extrapolate it into how many years in the system prior to coming to Freo?

Back