Trade Period - The Positives

Remove this Banner Ad

Positive:
-Phantom draft posts will be at a record high this draft period
- Won't have to wait an hour to an hour and a half for our first pick
- more neutral but interesting brett Anderson stated that we were never going to use pick 49 regardless of trade
-We get 4 of the top 31 players of the draft

Negative:
-Major: we don't have any support for Dixon; trengove will be trialed but to ease anxiety I would have liked a genuine key forward
-We're probably going to roll the dice on a mature aged state league forward; eddy, Cameron etc
-No barrett, all those "medicals" done at the club amount to nothing

We were never going to have support for Dixon with pick 9.

IMO Macca summed it up well in his post.
We have used picks for players in the last couple of years and now it's time to inject some serious youth in our list.

Picks 8 to 30-ish are hit and miss. With 4 picks we can take a punt and hopefully we will hit at least 2 of them.
Having 1 pick only would have left no margin for error.

Positive : the trade period is over and what is after all the real object of football, building a team and winning can start. One of the strengths of teams in all sports is consistency of personnel. We really had no-one who would have attracted much attention and we would have been trading for tradings sake. And we are not a destination team. When the AFL set up GWS and GCS and gave them all those concessional picks it was clear that soon some would have to or request to go home, and this would lead to early picks with a bit of experience training with an AFL team being picked up by Victorian clubs for a song.
Or in the case of JOM and Prestia going for less than market worth.

Our drafting the last 10 drafts of picks 11 to 39. Given 2015 is too early to tell our recruits are batting 8 wins and 5 loses with Clurey still to be determined IMO. From
https://www.draftguru.com.au/clubs/port-adelaide

2006 - the 2nd so called superdraft
Draft... # Player... Games Goals Votes Honours
National 23 Paul Stewart..... 101 33 2
National 39 Nathan Krakouer 82 (69) 24 0 [69 games for us 13 for GC]

Draft # Player Games Goals Votes Honours
National 16 Matthew Lobbe 92 21 3
National 28 Marlon Motlop 5 2 0
National 33 Matthew Westhoff 6 5 0

2008 - the 3rd so called superdraft
National 22 Jackson Trengove 134 13 3 B&F: 2011
National 38 Matthew Broadbent 146 49 15

National 16 Jasper Pittard 98 11 3 AA40: 2016

National 16 Ben Jacobs 77 (26) 10 0 ]26 games for us rest for North]
National 35 Ben Newton 17 (4) 12 0
National 36 Aaron Young 63 51 5

2011 none in that range

Draft............ # Player Games Goals Votes Honours
National Comp 29 Tom Clurey 18 0 0
National Comp 30 Mason Shaw 0 0 0

National 21 Jarman Impey 55 19 3

2014 none in that range

National 37 Riley Bonner 1 0 0

Our drafting the last 10 drafts of picks 11 to 39. Given 2015 is too early to tell our recruits are batting 8 wins and 5 loses with Clurey still to be determined IMO. From

2011 none in that range

2014 none in that range

Yeah but we probably wouldn't have gone for Pittard if we only had 1 first rounder.
He was our third pick in that draft.

Yeah but we probably wouldn't have gone for Pittard if we only had 1 first rounder.
He was our third pick in that draft.
We had pick 24 before the Burgoyne trade upgraded it to 16. The pre draft speculation was Moore would have been gone before 24 but Pittard would have still been there.

We increased our chances of getting a solid player or two out of four picks. Reduced our chances of getting a really good player but reduced the gamble it would be a bust (Moore, Butcher). Probably a bit of break even for us.

My fabourite strategy has always been to trade picks for players that you know can play in the positions you need them. The rules on trading 2/4 really kills that.

These picks aren't exactly sensible, but if it comes off it could be fantastic. Let's face it, we need to roll the dice and soon.

We had pick 24 before the Burgoyne trade upgraded it to 16. The pre draft speculation was Moore would have been gone before 24 but Pittard would have still been there.
Maybe maybe not. However my point was that we were able to pick players earlier than expected because we had 3 picks. 1 worked out two didn't. Without the extra picks one needs to nail it.

For mine we have done well and are now positioned to draft with courage and imagination. Looking forward to those 4 HFFs that possess that unique blend of speed and endurance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think anything that was tabled for Ah Chee was probably looked at as a pick we wouldn't use, say it was peanuts beyond 60? anyway of all our fringers he's one I still hold a touch of hope for

Positives:
We've gone from having two 1st round and one 2nd round pick across 2016/2017 to having two 1st round and three second round picks across 2016/2017 without giving up a player. If we hold ground and again finish 10th, we've basically traded out 2 picks 9s and some late picks this year we didn't intend to use in exchange for 14, 17, 30, and 31.

Next year, we may have more luck moving players out should we choose, which may get us back into the first round.

Negatives:
If we lose ground next year our trading could look bad.

2011 none in that range

2014 none in that range

That's pretty good, I have no idea why the jury is still out on Clurey though..

Do you think anything that was tabled for Ah Chee was probably looked at as a pick we wouldn't use, say it was peanuts beyond 60? anyway of all our fringers he's one I still hold a touch of hope for

Cloke - Pick 76
Toby Nankervis - 46
Nathan Vardy - Pick 72
Aaron Black - Pick 92
Marley Williams - Pick 105

Imagine what we were being offered (if anything) for any of the fringe players on our list. Teams not wanting to part with 2nds, 3rds, even 4ths shows you what most teams think of the depth of this draft.

Well unless you are Geelong or Hawthorn.

:drunk:

That's pretty good, I have no idea why the jury is still out on Clurey though..
Because 18 games in 4 years suggests he is a marginal AFL player. I think the kid can play but if he doesn't play much in 2017 and 2018, then we haven't used that pick wisely. If he becomes a regular and plays around 100 games then its a successful use of the draft pick.

Cloke - Pick 76
Toby Nankervis - 46
Nathan Vardy - Pick 72
Aaron Black - Pick 92
Marley Williams - Pick 105

Imagine what we were being offered (if anything) for any of the fringe players on our list. Teams not wanting to part with 2nds, 3rds, even 4ths shows you what most teams think of the depth of this draft.

Well unless you are Geelong or Hawthorn.

:drunk:

It does sound fine until you realise that the two clubs who went against the grain happen to have won 7 of the last 10 premierships.

It does sound fine until you realise that the two clubs who went against the grain happen to have won 7 of the last 10 premierships.

And are convinced it will go on Ad infinitum.

I think a positive is no one (who's decent enough anyways) actually wants to leave our club.
In how many years even in the dark days. Credit to the club itself in that regard.

I think a positive is no one (who's decent enough anyways) actually wants to leave our club.
In how many years even in the dark days. Credit to the club itself in that regard.

On the other side of the coin, this can mean that there is a toxic attitude of feeling comfortable and breezing through a career without that killer instinct desire for a premiership.

This appears to be the start of a rebuild. I expect our list will look quite different in 12 months time.
Agree and I feel it is a start of a 2-3 year strategy and one that is sustainable. That does not mean we cant play finals in 2017 at all. There will be players coming out of contract next year and beyond which also means we can continue to replenish our squad. Who knows what free agency will be in the years ahead. i.e. Free agency after 6 yrs, clubs have the right to trade players to a club of their choice etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back