Trade Period - The Positives

Remove this Banner Ad

This year we pretty much did what we could without getting any good deals like other clubs did. The damage was already done last year when we gave up that second rounder If we had held strong last year. Cos we just go back that pick we should never have given up, which means it was a pick 10 and 63 for pick 19.

That really peeves me, but I've made my peace I hope we get a cracker at pick 30

On the other side of the coin, this can mean that there is a toxic attitude of feeling comfortable and breezing through a career without that killer instinct desire for a premiership.
If that were the case people who are chasing success would leave though right?

Agree and I feel it is a start of a 2-3 year strategy and one that is sustainable. That does not mean we cant play finals in 2017 at all. There will be players coming out of contract next year and beyond which also means we can continue to replenish our squad. Who knows what free agency will be in the years ahead. i.e. Free agency after 6 yrs, clubs have the right to trade players to a club of their choice etc.

I would not worry too much about clubs being able to trade players to another clubs of the clubs choice. We do not pay the players remotely close enough for that to come into play. Maybe if the base salary was closer to 2 million rather than 200k. Then yeah you can back me up and send me across Australia. For 200k no your not changing my life on a whim.

I would not worry too much about clubs being able to trade players to another clubs of the clubs choice. We do not pay the players remotely close enough for that to come into play. Maybe if the base salary was closer to 2 million rather than 200k. Then yeah you can back me up and send me across Australia. For 200k no your not changing my life on a whim.
Maybe that's it then. Players over a certain salary can be traded to any club when ever the club wants. But as a Counter can also leave when ever they want if their contract is bettered by a certain percentage. Or something like that.

The positives are having 4 picks in the top 31. :thumbsu:

The ( potential ) negatives are, the swannies will take a player at pick 9 that will become a ` superstar, ' and the tingles will take a player immediately before our first pick, who we were expecting ( hoping ) to be there. :thumbsdown:

We obviously need to get at least 2 ( if not 3 ) of the selections right, if it's only 1, then it's a fail. :(

The positives are having 4 picks in the top 31. :thumbsu:

The ( potential ) negatives are, the swannies will take a player at pick 9 that will become a ` superstar, ' and the tingles will take a player immediately before our first pick, who we were expecting ( hoping ) to be there. :thumbsdown:

We obviously need to get at least 2 ( if not 3 ) of the selections right, if it's only 1, then it's a fail. :(
The crows will be looking for a ready made midfielder as are we. They'll get first dibs.

The crows will be looking for a ready made midfielder as are we. They'll get first dibs.
I don't think there will be any ready-mades at pick 13. You've gotta be in it pretty early for an Ollie Wines type.

Positive: At least we have ended up going to the draft this year
Negative: I have no idea when our premiership window is going to be. What we have done this year doesn't really fit a full rebuild or a tilt at the flag over the next 2-3 years. You wouldn't trade next years first round if you were rebuilding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

do you think if we miss out on the player we want at 14, they will fake it! and claim they got their guy. I hope we get galluci tbh. We could be going top mid then English maybe
No club would ever openly admit that they wanted a different player at their first pick. If your first pick is pick 14, it's kind of obvious anyway - I'd love Hugh McLuggage, but he won't be available.

I like to think that this trade period may have acted as a bit of attitude correction to some of the over inflated egos that may have developed among some of our players (the mythical 13), as such they will collectively extract digits and actually perform to their potential and expectations in 2017.

The positive is if we nail this draft it's double down winner winner chicken dinner

We have the picks now, there is very little margin for error.

I don't get the hullabaloo about the so-called 13 who were "on the table" that's a conservative number of players you should be open to discussions about in most trade weeks for mine.

I don't get the hullabaloo about the so-called 13 who were "on the table" that's a conservative number of players you should be open to discussions about in most trade weeks for mine.
Agreed I had five I wouldn't consider trading.

If SPS is still on the board somehow he might
i suppose, but they said that they can grab who they wanted at 3 at 7 and English really only fits that bill, as GC or Carlton may want SPS.

I can easily seeing them bypassing SPS for English, as SPS may want to return home 3 or 4 years later (despite the fact he has said that he would prefer to go to Melbourne to play footy)

Positive: At least we have ended up going to the draft this year
Negative: I have no idea when our premiership window is going to be. What we have done this year doesn't really fit a full rebuild or a tilt at the flag over the next 2-3 years. You wouldn't trade next years first round if you were rebuilding.

You might trade next years first round if you thought you could trade it back in this time next year. Only time will tell.

Agreed I had five I wouldn't consider trading.

The issue is we traded no one, regardless of who was or wasn't on the table. Which was a rubbish result. Club wasn't happy with the offers and clearly decided they were worth more to us on the list than the picks we would get for them. Certainly wasn't plan A to hold onto them all, but we've really only had one option and that is to keep them and multiply our draft picks higher up in order to delist more of the s**t we couldn't offload otherwise. Obviously Lobbe is probably the only one who we are genuinely non-plussed with sticking around. Hartlett we wanted to offload for the picks, which we got by mortgaging our 17' first. Same result, different method.

We're okay, but we'll need to pay our debt to the draft at some stage either via trading a player for a first rounder or through a compensation pick in FA. Else we'll have to wear a year with no pick in the first round.

My biggest concern here is, if next year is a bomb and we have no first rounder, we'll have to trade furiously if we are to rebuild adequately - since we'll need picks to adequately delist and turn the list over. If we do it too fast and cut too deep without having the right picks, we'll end up with another decade of mediocrity.

With this in mind, we did the right thing in getting 3 picks inside 30 and one at 31 rather than one good pick - this will help us turn the list over faster and replenish with talent from a reasonable position in the draft.

Back to what I said previously though, if we bomb next year and don't have the picks to clean out, we can't take the axe to the list without expecting to draft from the bottom of the barrel. We have to be careful here - if we finish low next year, we have no choice but to trade a talented player back to Victoria for multiple picks, that is if we are to rebuild properly. Otherwise we end up delisting and replacing players with youngsters in the pick 70+ range which is an awful prospect.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back