Opinion Player list management and game plan 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaron Francis a real possibility.
Correct. I'd do the whole "It's Happening" thing, but I have to try hard just to look up from the keys as I type, let alone do those GIF things. It would have happened last year, but Bombers refused to even consider the deal. He want to come back to SA and we are a destination of choice.

Correct. I'd do the whole "It's Happening" thing, but I have to try hard just to look up from the keys as I type, let alone do those GIF things. It would have happened last year, but Bombers refused to even consider the deal. He want to come back to SA and we are a destination of choice.
Essendon are still going to be arseholes. The limp slap given to the club (as opposed to players) over the whole supplements saga, ensured they didn't learn to put player welfare first. The only way they aren't going to ask for a first round pick is someone clubs Dodo over the head, so he fails his concussion test, but is still allowed to trade.

Halls only issue is that he doesnt have a defensive bone in his body, which is why he's always getting dropped. He'd be good but not sure he's a huge need.

Francis was a bees dick away from coming here last year. Not sure if we will drink from that well again.

Francis I can easily see as a quality third defender that can intercept and also push up through the midfield to the forward line. Basically a version of Hombsch that can kick goals.

Hall is the sort of player people think Amon is - he’s the cherry on top of the sundae. The guy who if everyone else is doing their job, his lack of defensive nous won’t be a problem because he can just attack attack attack.

I reckon if we get Hall we need to make a call on Amon. He's 23 soon and isn't progressing as much as I'd like. If we slot Hall in front of him in the pecking order I could easily see him requesting a trade.

Barry (although 2 years older than Amon) I think is just as good, better defensively and would be happy sticking around as a backup winger.

As discussed in the other thread, Francis needs to go back home to the Riverland - Loxton I think is home, get on the farm, spend time with his family, play country footy with his mates and get his head straight before worrying about trying to play professional footy again.

The guy is a massive Essendon fan. The way he talked about them before and after being drafted was manic. If he cant get himself right mentally at the club he absolutely loves, I can't see himself getting himself right at Port. His issues are a lot bigger than footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As discussed in the other thread, Francis needs to go back home to the Riverland - Loxton I think is home, get on the farm, spend time with his family, play country footy with his mates and get his head straight before worrying about trying to play professional footy again.

The guy is a massive Essendon fan. The way he talked about them before and after being drafted was manic. If he cant get himself right mentally at the club he absolutely loves, I can't see himself getting himself right at Port. His issues are a lot bigger than footy.

There’s a huge difference between being a supporter and loving a club from the outside and then seeing the reality of what they are like from the inside.

Essendon appear to me to be a club that has an Adelaide stink about them...where if you’re not successful it’s definitely you and not their shitty Gestapo organisation.

There’s a huge difference between being a supporter and loving a club from the outside and then seeing the reality of what they are like from the inside....
Matthew Broadbent didn't think so, when I chatted about it to him at the 2013 Player Sponsors night.

Reckon after GC got bent over by Freo in the Weller trade they'll be playing hard ball and will want something pretty heavy for Hall, regardless of the fact that he's in and out of their best 22. Agree with most - he's cherry on top type player, could be hugely damaging on the wing but will undoubtedly have games as worst on ground due to lack of defensive efforts. Probably not worth giving up any real net value, i.e. trading out Amon for Hall somehow would be fine, but investing further picks etc. I wouldn't be on board with.

Francis has severe question marks over his ability to cope at AFL level and he's surplus to needs to I'd be surprised if we had a crack at him. Still think last year it was between him and Mackenzie, so unless we delist the latter (not sure if he's on a 2 year contract?) I doubt he'd be coming to Port.

Scott Lycett. I know not everyone agrees but whatever. Free agent. Proven he can play as a ruck in tandem. Ryder is reasonably old and broken. Frampton hasnt had a game in 4 years despite the need for a ruck. Ladhams has a bung knee. Hayes is very young. Both Ryder and Hayes have the forward game to play in tandem with another ruck. Lycett is the bridge and hes a solid agressive bridge.

Francis is a dead set jet. If he chooses a profession football life and commits to it he could be a genuine Roughead-type (genuine forward but can more than cover back when needed).

Anywhere he ends up next year will need a fair bit of compassion and patience. If he comes we would have to accept that he comes ‘warts and all’. He might need time at home, he might make himself unavailable for the seniors and play SANFL only, he might need a modified program where he can train away from the club.

I think he can play football. I think at this stage of his life, he needs people around him in support. I think that if his issues see him never play football again - but until that decision is made, a football club (supporters and all) will wait. I think we could be that club for him. I think that is the kind of club we should aim to be.

Every year we should try to win a flag. Every year we should try to help those we can. I still believe we can be that club.

Francis is a dead set jet. If he chooses a profession football life and commits to it he could be a genuine Roughead-type (genuine forward but can more than cover back when needed).

Anywhere he ends up next year will need a fair bit of compassion and patience. If he comes we would have to accept that he comes ‘warts and all’. He might need time at home, he might make himself unavailable for the seniors and play SANFL only, he might need a modified program where he can train away from the club.

I think he can play football. I think at this stage of his life, he needs people around him in support. I think that if his issues see him never play football again - but until that decision is made, a football club (supporters and all) will wait. I think we could be that club for him. I think that is the kind of club we should aim to be.

Every year we should try to win a flag. Every year we should try to help those we can. I still believe we can be that club.

If that is as it is then we would should only be looking to extend him a lifeline and support. Much as we did Jurrah. We wouldn't want to be giving anything up in a trade.

If that is as it is then we would should only be looking to extend him a lifeline and support. Much as we did Jurrah. We wouldn't want to be giving anything up in a trade.
That's why I reckon he needs to go back home and play footy in the country for a season.

He was a high draft pick, Essendon will want plenty for him and that would keep up the pressure on him to deliver, wherever he goes, when he might not be in the head space to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back