Opinion Player list management and game plan 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a kid and barely getting a game when we grabbed him and still had to pay pick 14. Now he’s a regular in the best 22, reaching his potential and coming into his prime. Gets 25+ touches every game and is a beautiful user of the ball. Big difference in the Polec we took from Brisbane and the Polec now.
Clearly North think so too, offering 700k over 5 years. That is not the contract for a pick 14.

We were laughing at Brisbane.

North aren't thinking period. I love Polecat I'm not paying 700ks. We would have taken Richmonds first round pick last year for Hammer? Let's get real about what players are worth?

We also have the Atley issue to resolve if he wants to go to North as well?

We were laughing at Brisbane.

North aren't thinking period. I love Polecat I'm not paying 700ks. We would have taken Richmonds first round pick last year for Hammer? Let's get real about what players are worth?

We also have the Atley issue to resolve if he wants to go to North as well?
Glad you aren’t our list manager, you have zero clue.

Would anyone take Goddard for a year, has played 20+ games the last 7 years. Would be a great cover until Hartlett recovers from his knee and would be invaluable in our defence/midfield. Averaging 24 disposals at 84% efficiency this year. Lets not overplay the age card, we need to win a flag with this squad

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would anyone take Goddard for a year, has played 20+ games the last 7 years. Would be a great cover until Hartlett recovers from his knee and would be invaluable in our defence/midfield. Averaging 24 disposals at 84% efficiency this year. Lets not overplay the age card, we need to win a flag with this squad

I suspect Goddard wouldn't get past the club's no DH policy.

I'd buy him some pretzels and tell him to retire.

700k would be right at the top of what we would possibly offer him, but it would be pushing it. He'll have to settle for less to stay.

His partner's family is loaded, yeah? $50-$75k less post tax shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Do we know if there's a pull back to Melbourne from his partner?

He was a kid and barely getting a game when we grabbed him and still had to pay pick 14. Now he’s a regular in the best 22, reaching his potential and coming into his prime. Gets 25+ touches every game and is a beautiful user of the ball. Big difference in the Polec we took from Brisbane and the Polec now.
Clearly North think so too, offering 700k over 5 years. That is not the contract for a pick 14.

I agree, but that is all the Swans got for the 2018 Brownlow medalist*

I'm sure our focus is on keeping him, but I doubt we'd increase our offer beyond 2-3 years with his injury history, so can't blame him if he takes the money and long-term security, but I don't see him lasting 5 years+ playing on Etihad most weeks.

$700,000 for 5 years for a best 22 player is definitely a 2 first round picks + change type of deal though. With how many players North has been going after, presumably they're willing to pay the high costs if they ever actually get one (who isn't a free agent).
2 plus change?

Dreaming.

We'd get a first and a second at best.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I reckon North would only do it if it doesnt involve them losing their first rounder this year.

I could see them asking for something like our 2nd rounder next year for their 1st rounder next year, plus other pick shuffles/swaps and maybe player too.

Not saying Polec isnt worth more, but I would say no way would they sacrifice this year's 1st rounder.

* that grumpy campaigner and his hate for pretzels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon North would only do it if it doesnt involve them losing their first rounder this year.

I could see them asking for something like our 2nd rounder next year for their 1st rounder next year, plus other pick shuffles/swaps and maybe player too.

Not saying Polec isnt worth more, but I would say no way would they sacrifice this year's 1st rounder.
THEy would have to for the trade to go through I reckon. Im thinking their first this year and next.

Polecat can't get to them unless they trade. Certainly not going past Carlton, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Freo etc in the draft. All those clubs have ridiculous cap space to burn. Their first pick is reasonable and they wouldn't make an offer like that expecting to pay less.

Polecat can't get to them unless they trade. Certainly not going past Carlton, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Freo etc in the draft. All those clubs have ridiculous cap space to burn. Their first pick is reasonable and they wouldn't make an offer like that expecting to pay less.
As long as he didn’t do the dirty on us by going to the draft or threatening to, but ai reckon he wants to stay in ADL.

700k for 5 years is a really dumb offer considering his foot injury histories. It'd be making a deal just for the sake of doing a deal.
If North are really offering that much, given they play about 14 games on the concrete at Docklands, they would want to have a foot injury clause in the contract, passed by the AFL and AFLPA so that if he breaks down, they dont have to pay out the rest of his contract, and/or if they dont, the AFL wont still count it in the cap like supposedly they have told Sydney they will do with Buddy for the whole 9 years even if he retires early.

If North are really offering that much, given they play about 14 games on the concrete at Docklands, they would want to have a foot injury clause in the contract, passed by the AFL and AFLPA so that if he breaks down, they dont have to pay out the rest of his contract, and/or if they dont, the AFL wont still count it in the cap like supposedly they have told Sydney they will do with Buddy for the whole 9 years even if he retires early.
I think given it's a trade rather than a FA signing, Polec retiring won't count to the cap anyway (ie unlike Buddy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back