List Mgmt. Trade Targets 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Port don't need points so in what universe are picks 19 and 27 equal to pick 7 for Port? Hartlett being on contract cuts both ways. We won't let him go for a nothing deal like that.

In your scenario, Gold Coast are giving up not only picks 8 and 22 but then the pick 19 they get from us. So where are they getting the points they need to bid for Bowes?

Bizzaroworld.

The question is what is Hartlett worth and what does Essendon have? It all well and good saying we want Pick 5 for Hammer but if they don't have that Pick - well what then? We have put him up for trade Essendon (of all clubs) appear to have bitten. I used the points analogy to point out that is something they have and how it is then traded to what we'd like - a top 10 draft choice. It's not a matter of us needing points. As for is 19 & 27 equal 7 well I don't think so but that's what the points system suggests.

In the Gold Coast scenario (correct me if I'm wrong) Gold Coast wants Player A from the academy. Other clubs then bid, for instance Carlton decide to bid on Player A at Pick 5. Gold Coast then decide whether they match that bid. Now the price to match that bid is 1878 points. They have the choice of getting a few of their draft choices and cash them in for points or they can get credits by making trades such as the one I suggested

So they give us 8 (1551pts) for Pick 19 (968) creating a deficit of 583 pts (if we ignore Ah Chee's worth)
They still need 968 pts. If they use the pick 19 that we gave them it would give them 948 pts leaving them only 20pts to find.

So by swapping 8 for 19 and then using that pick for points they would get their academy player that Carlton wanted to draft at pick 5. So they get a Pick 5 ranked player for Pick 8 virtually. GWS did this last year with a bunch of picks swapping them around to create point credits.

The points system is always going to be flawed when measuring trades.

Four third round picks equals pick 1 ffs. No one would do that trade ever. It's not meant to be used for trade value, and even for academy bidding it is flawed and needs to be fixed regarding values.

As for Hartlett and Essendon. If they want him they can come up with a satisfactory offer. If that means shuffling picks to get picks to trade for Hartlett well that's up to them to do. No one held our hands when we had to trade for players.

The points system is always going to be flawed when measuring trades.

Four third round picks equals pick 1 ffs. No one would do that trade ever. It's not meant to be used for trade value, and even for academy bidding it is flawed and needs to be fixed regarding values.

As for Hartlett and Essendon. If they want him they can come up with a satisfactory offer. If that means shuffling picks to get picks to trade for Hartlett well that's up to them to do. No one held our hands when we had to trade for players.

I think you're right and I used the points example because there is nothing else and I don't want to resort to Pick plus Spud equals Fyfe or something similarr.

I'm hearing loud and clear Hammer to Essendon is a happening thing and I don't want him to go and my whole point with it being Essendope is they are difficult to deal with and I hope the whole deal falls apart. Do I think Essendon will trade out Pick 1 to GWS for some top 10 picks to pick up Hammer F*** NO.

Will they try and bend us over and get him for 27 - Yep that is exactly what those cheats will try if Hammer nominates them.

Gold Coast board saying that Jack Darling is available and matches our needs position wise. You could say the same thing about Grimes and both couldn't hit the side of a barn from 30 metres so perfect for us.

Gold Coast board saying that Jack Darling is available and matches our needs position wise. You could say the same thing about Grimes and both couldn't hit the side of a barn from 30 metres so perfect for us.

the Gold Coast board is well informed...

Gold coast have a board?????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't know anything about him, if it herps others
http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/116557/Tom-MITCHELL
No spud obviously, BUT if we go for a 181cm player we neade to off load a player of similar.

No offense, but if you haven't seen a player who has been a mainstay in one of the best two sides in the comp for the last four or five years and frequently been the topic of wistful trade speculation by opposition supporters then you can't follow footy too closely.

Nathan Vardy ? Rucci is all over it so it must be true.

An injury plagued 25 year old with 25 games in seven seasons is just what we need.

He's not coming here if he doesn't pass a medical. Can't think of any instance our medical staff have ever got a player wrong?

He's not coming here if he doesn't pass a medical. Can't think of any instance our medical staff have ever got a player wrong?

Wade Chapman. Then again that was that long ago that we probably do not have the same medicos doing the assessments.

Last edited:
Look, I have been over to the Geelong boards and arranged a deal. Vardy for a fourth rounder subject to medical assessment. Should I send this deal through to Ken and Co for approval?

Who said AFL player trading was difficult? :)

Last edited:
The question is what is Hartlett worth and what does Essendon have? It all well and good saying we want Pick 5 for Hammer but if they don't have that Pick - well what then? We have put him up for trade Essendon (of all clubs) appear to have bitten. I used the points analogy to point out that is something they have and how it is then traded to what we'd like - a top 10 draft choice. It's not a matter of us needing points. As for is 19 & 27 equal 7 well I don't think so but that's what the points system suggests.

You don't seem to appreciate that Hartlett is contracted. There is no negotiation here. Essendon offer something suitable or Port don't dance. If they don't have what we want they go find it, it's not a matter of what they have. Hartlett can no more nominate a club as we can force him to the Gold Coast. There's no point saying 19+27=7. It's irrelevant to Port. There is no breakdown between Port and Hartlett, we're testing the water and he understands this is a business. If no one offers anything suitable he stays which I am more than happy with. And hopefully this is a spur to a much-improved 2017 for him.

In the Gold Coast scenario (correct me if I'm wrong) Gold Coast wants Player A from the academy. Other clubs then bid, for instance Carlton decide to bid on Player A at Pick 5. Gold Coast then decide whether they match that bid. Now the price to match that bid is 1878 points. They have the choice of getting a few of their draft choices and cash them in for points or they can get credits by making trades such as the one I suggested

So they give us 8 (1551pts) for Pick 19 (968) creating a deficit of 583 pts (if we ignore Ah Chee's worth)
They still need 968 pts. If they use the pick 19 that we gave them it would give them 948 pts leaving them only 20pts to find.

So by swapping 8 for 19 and then using that pick for points they would get their academy player that Carlton wanted to draft at pick 5. So they get a Pick 5 ranked player for Pick 8 virtually. GWS did this last year with a bunch of picks swapping them around to create point credits.

I might be missing something here but it appears you are double-counting pick 19. Ah Chee's value is irrelevant, you can't count players in a points scenario. And anyway if you go back to your original trade scenario post you had Gold Coast trading pick 19 for a senior player. So they have no early picks in your scenario. They've traded away 8, 22 and 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back