List Mgmt. Trade Targets 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And speaking of O'Shea myths, can we all finally agree that the 'he always comes good in the second half of the year' one is total horseshit?

"He never comes good at any stage of the year"

we only need one of:

o'shea/Jonas/stewart

butcher or schulz- potentially neither

sam gray/ah chee/Colquhoun

Put Carlile on rookie list (why tf he is on a 4 year deal)

Delist: Mitchell- unfortunate, but can't see a place for him in our team for the future.

We should keep Lobbe as a depth ruckman with Frampton. Getting a a depth ruck (like Nankervis) would cost potentially more than what we get for Lobbe.

And try and get some young talent who can play to rejuvenate the list

Ah Chee has still only played 20 games, and he was sub in a quarter of them. Apart from the Showdown, the games he played last year were mostly very good.

I dunno where all this 'how long do we persist?' crap is coming from, as if he's a 25 year old with 50 games under his belt. For somebody with Ah Chee's obvious natural ability, you persist a hell of a lot longer than 15 games.

And speaking of O'Shea myths, can we all finally agree that the 'he always comes good in the second half of the year' one is total horseshit?

From my perspective I am talking about what we need to do to win a Premiership. If we are going to take a flag any time soon we need improvement across the board. I did not single Ah Chee out, I mentioned him as one of many players who need to improve. Ah Chee has not played that many games but he will be 23 years of age in December so he is no longer a raw kid. The Club has already invested 5 seasons in him and I think we are entitled to see improvement.

I guess it is a question of how long to we invest in a player? Do we have another three years to wait while the likes of Ah Chee, Amon, Austin, Clurey, Neade, Toumpas, Howard and Impey become more consistent? Do we have another three years to hope that players like Boak, Polec, Hartlett, Westhoff etc. somehow recapture their 2014 form?

If we want to win a Premiership we cannot afford to mark time, with one or two exceptions all players need to improve next year or we will face the real possibility that a premiership is beyond our reach with the current list. Brendon Ah Chee is no exception in any of this, if that sounds tough then that is the way it has to be. There are no favourites on the road to a Premiership just consistent performers.

Ah Chee shows promise but he is not a 'must keep' and if the right deal came up we could trade him but it has to be said that he is no orphan as several other players are also in this category.

Last edited:
I don't think stagnated is the word for Wingard, he's having a year well below what he is capable of but after having two AA's previously it's tough to be at the top of your game year in year out without a dip.

Wines on the other hand burst onto the scene and was tracking upwards, now you hardly notice him aside from his clangers. He's somewhere between stagnating to regressing, despite his numbers actually improving he is having far less of a positive impact on the game.
And to think that some thought Voss would be the making of Wines..

I can't understand the whole we potentially don't need either butch or Schulz next year

So we go in with Dixon and Howard next tear as our kpfs and in somehow we get josh battle

That's still the thinnest kpf stocks in the comp

Plus Ryder part time... yeah, I know it's not ideal based on his value in the ruck. I think we'd want full control of the Schulz situation rather than just automatically trigger a one year extension when we might desperately need to spend the cash somewhere else. If he can't play out a full season, thanks for all the bash and crash, great servant, but he's done. Playing Butch presumably for the rest of the season is about finding out for sure what we might need to trade for and exactly how urgent it is. Drafting a KPF/ruck kid goes almost without saying, even though they won't probably play until 2018 at the earliest. Lobbe is a noted poor contested mark, Westhoff is a tall flanker not a KPF, and he's getting on too so there are no other 'swing' options, unless we go for a Sam Reid type.

Personally I think it's trade for an 80% KPF/20% ruck again, draft one, and draft an inside mid depending on how the rest of Arch's and Sam Gray's years go. Going to have to let something good go for that to happen...

I can't understand the whole we potentially don't need either butch or Schulz next year

So we go in with Dixon and Howard next tear as our kpfs and in somehow we get josh battle

I don't think Butcher or Schulz will be on the list next year but at the same time, I don't feel that we'd be all that disadvantaged by it. Schulz's body appears shot and barring some incredible turn around in form, I'm not sure Butcher will ever 'get it' at AFL level. Yes our KPF stocks will be dire but I think that has more to do with Harvey and Shaw being draft busts than our delisting players that should be delisted.

I have little doubt we'll look to draft a key forward this off season.

Also Jesse Palmer can become a lead up KPF in the mould of membery. This is the role that schulz has been playing in past years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep a decent KPF and a mid with elite foot skills and/or blistering speed that i'd a decent size and has 50 to 100 games under his belt unless their has been injury issues like Polec, will be high up on the list of the recruiting team. Getting them is another thing!

It is ridiculously thin, but you can't just keep leaving players on the list because you are thin in an area. It makes it look like you have options and breeds inertia in the area. We need to trade for someone like Nankervis or Membrey. We need to have them committed already. We need to be prepared to give a win win trade that gives the opposition team something they need. e.g. Jonas for Nankervis. Then we need to prioritise drafting a forward. If that means reaching for Josh Battle then thats what we do. There will be plenty of good mids going later in the draft we just need to trade to have some picks. We can pick a state league forward / ruck very late in the draft. e.g. Darcy Cameron. Then we need to do it all again next year!

Also Jesse Palmer can become a lead up KPF in the mould of membery. This is the role that schulz has been playing in past years.
He's not a Power Forward who can play on the 95-100kg defenders. He is a tallish forward but not a true 3rd tall/KPF like Schulz Lynch of the crows and Waite are. He is more Aaron Young.

Plus Ryder part time... yeah, I know it's not ideal based on his value in the ruck. I think we'd want full control of the Schulz situation rather than just automatically trigger a one year extension when we might desperately need to spend the cash somewhere else. If he can't play out a full season, thanks for all the bash and crash, great servant, but he's done. Playing Butch presumably for the rest of the season is about finding out for sure what we might need to trade for and exactly how urgent it is. Drafting a KPF/ruck kid goes almost without saying, even though they won't probably play until 2018 at the earliest. Lobbe is a noted poor contested mark, Westhoff is a tall flanker not a KPF, and he's getting on too so there are no other 'swing' options, unless we go for a Sam Reid type.

Personally I think it's trade for an 80% KPF/20% ruck again, draft one, and draft an inside mid depending on how the rest of Arch's and Sam Gray's years go. Going to have to let something good go for that to happen...

I think a forward ruck is the last thing we should be looking to pair with Dixon

I also think any idea of Ryder spending considerable time up forward so we can play two rucks is a horrid idea. We should have already learned our lesson regarding two rucks

Ryder / trengove / Westoff with maybe Howard eventually should be our ruck unit.

Therefore we need a genuine forward to pair with Dixon. And to be honest every team wants key forwards , and any one we are gonna get isn't gonna be any better than butcher unless we pull off a massive trade yet again. Not likely.

Daw vickery black these are all horrible suggestions that get us no where. Back butch and our drafting.

I don't think Butcher or Schulz will be on the list next year but at the same time, I don't feel that we'd be all that disadvantaged by it. Schulz's body appears shot and barring some incredible turn around in form, I'm not sure Butcher will ever 'get it' at AFL level. Yes our KPF stocks will be dire but I think that has more to do with Harvey and Shaw being draft busts than our delisting players that should be delisted.

I have little doubt we'll look to draft a key forward this off season.
Of course we will retain one of Schulz or Butch, or both.

Can't Wingard be that elite mid, with the vision and kicking skills, that has 50 to 100 games under his belt? I understand his value up forward, but how damaging could he be as a mid, considering we have such poor ball users currently.

I'm hoping Chad Cornes' inside info on the Giants will assist the club to make the right decision.

I hadn't thought of this, that could actually be a good point of difference.

Strongly believe we have to draft a key forward with our first pick, then a solid midfield with excellent skills. Those are our priorities this draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back