Mega Thread Trade Targets 2018 (2018 Trade Period Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff, they didn't miss him ....they overlooked him

Do we know for a fact, he's on the table .....or is he simply one of a 100 names being bandied about?

Personally I'd chase Himmelberg
No - he’s not on the table . Untouchable at Sydney . They love him and see big things

He is a massive crows supporter deep down and would have been disappointed

No - he’s not on the table . Untouchable at Sydney . They love him and see big things

He is a massive crows supporter deep down and would have been disappointed
Maybe then, when Hayward comes out of Contract .....but obviously, there was a reason he was overlooked

He's a good forward ....can he add midfielder to his roles ?

Whereas Rozee is obviously a FWD / MID .....so maybe offers a bit more flexibility ?

It’s a local kid taken early who has franked his draft form easily and is worth about pick 10-12

He has the speed we need in our forward line and is 20 yo , Sydney won’t do it anyway because they love him and rightly so

I like the concept of “franking his draft form” of establishing value. But I’m not sure I agree he has, or has to raise his value significantly

There is always an element of uncertainty in a draft value, risk and upside hoped for

I certainly agree Hayward has franked the downside risk, he’s done enough to not be a bust or s**t. I most definitely do not agree, at all, that he has validated any potential, hoped for upside. And without that his value isn’t up.

He looks an interesting player, but he’s not done anything that looks remotely like a big money, mega contract quality

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So? Tbh, I expect a lot neutrals to rate Hayward higher but that doesn't mean they're right. Just look at the trading board, a lot rate him a late teens pick. Most neutrals underrate McGovern as they don't understand what kind of x-factor he has, as they don't see him play often enough, so they rely on the stat sheet to make judgement. Lot also quote his age, not understanding that he's a late bloomer, just like his Jeremy and Dad.

Interesting not much between Dixon McGovern and Curnow in terms of averages. They all bring a little bit of different X factor to their teams and from earlier post Port paid approx Pick 6 and Carlton picked Curnow at 12

Attachments

• FA9FE321-DEF5-475D-91E4-221207F63BD1.png
    FA9FE321-DEF5-475D-91E4-221207F63BD1.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 4
I like the concept of “franking his draft form” of establishing value. But I’m not sure I agree he has, or has to raise his value significantly

There is always an element of uncertainty in a draft value, risk and upside hoped for

I certainly agree Hayward has franked the downside risk, he’s done enough to not be a bust or s**t. I most definitely do not agree, at all, that he has validated any potential, hoped for upside. And without that his value isn’t up.

He looks an interesting player, but he’s not done anything that looks remotely like a big money, mega contract quality
Not mega contract but if Gov is to leave he will add a bit of what Gov offers ( pressure and speed )

In terms of his draft year , if it was redone right now he looks 8-12 ish , could go up or down from there as alot to play out

What I’m worried about is we lose Gov and get a pick 12-15 and don’t really replace that X factor in forward line or the speed and pressure

I’d actually rather get a player unless we were guaranteed to get Rozee or Rankine ( which I don’t think we will get because I don’t think clubs will just hand over these prized picks to us like we think they will )

In an ideal world Gov would be happy and committed to us and ready to work his backside off to help us ... but I sense he may not be that type of guy

The club he chooses will tell alot about the motivations he has in football

Agree with all that but I have them rated very evenly and given Hayward grew up a crows supporter and is a local lad I’d be happy with the swap because I think it will be better than 1 the draft pick we will get and 2 keeping Gov when he’s never truly committed to us or himself really with his work ethic

If gov was happy and ready to work hard I’d prefer that but unfortunately it’s not the case

I wouldn't be happy with that at all seeing for a player of Govs worth, it would have to be Hayward + something else.

Hayward may have some romantic notation attached to it which I believe you're getting sucked into, however what we're talking about here is a rolled gold prospect in McGovern. Offered 750-800k per year despite being an over-aged prospect with limited production (though I rate him as very important to our side despite that) which means he is a walk up two first rounders in worth. After all, that is salary you only give up to elite players or players you believe could be elite and are poaching.

Hayward has showed some promising signs sure, he however, hasn't shown he's in that bracket of worth yet. He may never get there either seeing how much has to go right for him. The only way he could manage it is by becoming primarily a midfielder and not only that, becoming an elite midfielder who can rotate forward in the current state of the game. It has been done by Gray at least with gives a development track to follow.

That deal, however, is a start. I'd equally be open to making up the difference in upgrading Carltons 2nd for Sydneys 1st if we could on trade that + something else for a top 5 pick. The McGovern to Sydney deal would still be a loss on our end, but at least it's a loss that is fulfilling a purpose.

I wouldn't be happy with that at all seeing for a player of Govs worth, it would have to be Hayward + something else.

Hayward may have some romantic notation attached to it which I believe you're getting sucked into, however what we're talking about here is a rolled gold prospect in McGovern. Offered 750-800k per year despite being an over-aged prospect with limited production (though I rate him as very important to our side despite that) which means he is a walk up two first rounders in worth. After all, that is salary you only give up to elite players or players you believe could be elite and are poaching.

Hayward has showed some promising signs sure, he however, hasn't shown he's in that bracket of worth yet. He may never get there either seeing how much has to go right for him. The only way he could manage it is by becoming primarily a midfielder and not only that, becoming an elite midfielder in the current state of the game. It has been done by Gray at least, so it is not impossible.

That deal, however, is a start. I'd equally be open to making up the difference in upgrading Carltons 2nd for Sydneys 1st if we could on trade that + something else for a top 5 pick. The McGovern to Sydney deal would still be a loss on our end, but at least it's a loss that is fulfilling a purpose.
Not gonna happen mate , swans won’t let go of Hayward on his own let alone with a bonus for us so it’s a mute point

By time Hayward is 25 I predict he will be on similar coin , time will tell but he’s got 4-5 years

Not gonna happen mate , swans won’t let go of Hayward on his own let alone with a bonus for us so it’s a mute point

By time Hayward is 25 I predict he will be on similar coin , time will tell but he’s got 4-5 years

I'm just responding to a hypothetical. ;)

He would need to be a full time midfielder, and not only that, but in AA contention on the regular for that to occur (without a massive CBA impacting) if it was at Sydney. Equally though it's not like he's covering new ground with a development path, and really it's something that is coming more prevalent, so I'd have some optimism he'd get there should nothing go wrong.

He has ticked a lot of boxes that you want a rookie too.

Yes ...And then if Tex is injured or Fog doesn’t quite come on Himmelberg can fill a great role forward

You’d get him in knowing he can play either end and then see how it all unfolds

Tough to make happen worth a shot

If GWS want McGovern, Himmelberg is in play providing he wants to come here.

May even be a straight swap depending on how we rate Harrys offensive game.

Edit: GWS not Sydney. Not the best moment of my day.

Last edited:

Yeah I must say I haven’t seen anything as yet that has me say “gee if only we’d grabbed him over Gallucci”. He’s justified his selection, but at the same time hasn’t done anything to say he should have been picked much higher.

Currently I’d say he’s on the Douglas trajectory. A pick you look back on and say, yep, he was a good selection, but he isn’t going down as an inspired choice.

At present he’s shown himself to be a capable mid sized forward who should carve out a nice career at the swans. This can no doubt change, but I just don’t see Hayward and think we should be trying particularly hard to get him. Certainly not against getting him, but I think the Swans rate him too highly to give him up anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back