Mega Thread Trade Targets 2018 (2018 Trade Period Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton need a few players like that to help their list. Ideally it should be free agents but a 3rd pick is really average anyway.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Practically is a free agent. Third/fourth rounders aren't worth much.

I hear you ……….. but if we did recruit Ellis-Yeoman, he may only be a short-term option for us where as he could have a longer career with you guys.
I doubt that very much.

It really depends on if Carlton want Luko or not. If they do, then its end of story. Thats who they will take. I still think there is a very strong chance they are after Walsh. They have Curnow and McKay. What their list desperately needs is A-grade mids and they aren't going to get them in through free agency.

If they do want Walsh, then they would be motivated to trade down. But they aren't going to get a trade down by only 1 or 2 picks with something of much value thrown in. A pick swap with GC is only going to be of interest to the Suns if they want Luko. Otherwise, they will take their hand into the draft. Its pretty obvious that the Suns are going to lose May and Lynch in successive years. There is a rare opportunity that makes sense only to the Suns to take two brothers together in the hope that they can keep them long term. To me, this is a rare opportunity that is presenting itself to the Suns.

That potentially puts Walsh at pick 4. So Carlton could quite easily be interested in a trade down to pick 4 if they were confident that their man was still going to be there. If that were the case, that trade down would cost them nothing. Whatever they got extra out of the deal would be a bonus. Not saying that their dream would be CEY, but they aren't going to get a first or second rounder from St Kilda to do that. The Saints would just sit pretty and wait for Walsh, or potentially Luko to land at their feet.

Carlton only hold the upper hand if they want Luko. If they want Walsh they are pretty much going to have to take him with pick 1, or potentially accept something quite moderate to get their hands on pick 4. The only way Carlton do a deal for pick 4 is because they won't be taking Luko and as soon as they try to make that deal, everybody knows their hand and their position weakens. On the other hand, if they are willing to take picks starting at pick 6 or 7, then they can demand more. It opens up the bidding to everybody. But they would miss out on Walsh.
None of this has anything to do with CEY

I can tell you now that any pick and CEY will have no impact in obtaining pick 1 without other things involved

If you can say that, then with the same certainty I can say that Carlton will not trade down in a way that they can also get Walsh.

I’ll try again. This time with respect.

His value on the trade table would be low but his value to the club would be high. We would want far more than you would be willing to pay. I don’t think he is untouchable but it would take a good deal to get it over the line.

By good deal I assume you mean salt n vinegar and not plain?

Has almost no value

Not worth much as in Mitch McGovern?

That is an absolute fluke to nail such a high end talent there. It does not make those picks worth that much.

The majority of 3rnd or greater don't amount to anything. You equally don't expect them too.

The only reason he was on our rookie list is because he had done an ACL. He has come back and surprised me greatly. Our other inside mids would be in front so I hope he gets on a list that need a 6"1 contested beast

Correct. But if he didn't he would have been delisted

Statistically speaking, that is an absolute fluke to nail such a high end talent there.

The vast majority of 3rnd or greater don't amount to anything.

It’s still worth a punt. That can be the difference to a club. If we turn EH into a gun key forward then it will be worth a first round pick to us. There are lots of players that take a long time to develop. Rucks, KPPs. That range of pick is a great range to pick up a player with talent that requires a few years of development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a clean out of average and poor players. If we could get some 2nd and 3rd rounders, we could pixk up some talent. There r some sa boys that look good around those picks

We don't have a lot of deadwood (maybe 6 depth players but if we're planning to compete, we're in no rush to get rid of them), nor would I be interested in obtaining a lot of 2nd/3rd round picks seeing a scattergun approach would have a high fail rate with how we are set up.

This is a draft for high end talent for us. Next year however I agree, scattergun approach with drafting has some merit.

We don't have a lot of deadwood (maybe 6 depth players but if we're planning to compete, we're in no rush to get rid of them), nor would I be interested in obtaining a lot of 2nd/3rd round picks seeing a scattergun approach would have a high fail rate with how we are set up.

This is a draft for high end talent for us. Next year however I agree, scattergun approach with drafting has some merit.
We cantplay cey and Greenwood together, they are slow and cant spread. Mackay is very average. Atkins is so hit and miss, we need him inform but i think he more valuable now then ever. Dear is crap.

We can get rid of them and draft players that might excel and become good players.

We cantplay cey and Greenwood together, they are slow and cant spread. Mackay is very average. Atkins is so hit and miss, we need him inform but i think he more valuable now then ever. Dear is crap.

We can get rid of them and draft players that might excel and become good players.

You can play CEY and Greenwood together, however you cannot play Mrouch, CEY and Greenwood. That becomes too slow and too many pure inside players.

I agree about Mackay, however Atkins would be at the lowest point of value he's been at since he debuted. This season has been nothing short of disastrous for him, as he's gone from a position that he was the best fit outside midfielder on our list to now where his spot is actually in danger.

Dear is crap, yup, not surprising seeing he was a late KPF pick. They are usually garbage.

We'll get rid of some, but we're not really in a rush to replace a lot of them seeing it's going to be a few seasons until spots open up for anyone bar high end talents. What you are suggesting is for the end of a window when you have a lot of areas to replace, or about too.

I think they have to concede the short term and make a long term plan. They need to copy the Brisbane playbook. They actually have a great draft hand this year. They will have picks 2, 3, 16, 25, 30, 40, 42. They should use them all. Get the bookmarks at either end with the King brothers and hope that the family connection keeps them long term. I know that they should probably go Walsh and Smith, but they are going to lose Lynch and May. This is a rare opportunity for them that works on so many levels.

They could then load up on mids with most of the other picks. If they can get a few big bodied FAs, they should do that as well. Just enough to help their young players develop. Things could change for them pretty quickly with a draft hand like that. They should be able to trade out a few players like Hall as well. Maybe they can do something with pick 42 + Hall.

I think Carlton will want Walsh too. They might even be eyeing off Smith. If they knew that the Suns were going to go with the Kings, I think they would do a trade down to pick 4 (St Kilda). If I were the Saints I would do a trade and take Luko. McCartin is looking doubtful to make it. We should be banging down St Kilda's door for their pick as well. Either for Luko or Rankine.
Lots of talk on GC taking the brothers for those reasons but is 2/3 reaching?

Esp with live trading is there a chance GC look to get their men plus strengthen position?

If they know a club will use pick 2/3 on another player do they trade down in order to move up elsewhere?

Hypothetically what do we think a guy like Josh Jenkins would be worth to the Suns next year.

Keeping in mind they are almost certainly going to lose their star Full forward, who funnily enough has played more games but kicked less goals then JJ over the same span (Seriously worth checking out their comparable stats, eerily similar).

Sure Josh is almost 30, but his deal is actually quite modest compared to what they would have to shell out to get any other key forward up to the GC.

Hypothetically what do we think a guy like Josh Jenkins would be worth to the Suns next year.

Keeping in mind they are almost certainly going to lose their star Full forward, who funnily enough has played more games but kicked less goals then JJ over the same span (Seriously worth checking out their comparable stats, eerily similar).

Sure Josh is almost 30, but his deal is actually quite modest compared to what they would have to shell out to get any other key forward up to the GC.

I’d take their 2018 2nd rounder (assuming they still have one) and start the car.

Edit: this GC 2nd rounder (early 20s) can then be used as juice to get us up higher to take Rankine.

You can play CEY and Greenwood together, however you cannot play Mrouch, CEY and Greenwood. That becomes too slow and too many pure inside players.

I agree about Mackay, however Atkins would be at the lowest point of value he's been at since he debuted. This season has been nothing short of disastrous for him, as he's gone from a position that he was the best fit outside midfielder on our list to now where his spot is actually in danger.

Dear is crap, yup, not surprising seeing he was a late KPF pick. They are usually garbage.

We'll get rid of some, but we're not really in a rush to replace a lot of them seeing it's going to be a few seasons until spots open up for anyone bar high end talents. What you are suggesting is for the end of a window when you have a lot of areas to replace, or about too.
Ur right about 3 inside mids but i dont believe cutting 6 average players willl make a difference. Dear wont play ever, Mackay will leave. If there r players who r no good and no real chance of playing, xut and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back