Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Adelaide premiership captain Mark Bickley has aired information that suggests Western Bulldogs star Josh Dunkley could be weighing up a move to South Australia.
Dunkley’s contract expires at the end of 2022 and the 25-year-old requested a trade to Essendon at the end of the 2020 season, but ultimately remained at the Dogs.

He hinted earlier this month his future would be at the Bulldogs, but focus has been drawn to his partner, Tippah Dwan, an up-and-coming shooting star who was signed by the Adelaide Thunderbirds for the 2022 season.

“We know that he wanted to leave the Bulldogs at one stage and go to Essendon. The Bulldogs wouldn’t facilitate it, they brought in Treloar and added to that mix, he’s not getting the same midfield minutes that he was when he first came into the team and had a couple of really cracking seasons.

“Absolutely both (Adelaide) teams could do with that style of player.

“He’s a good size, he’s 190 (centimetres), he can take a mark, he’s right in that age bracket. Both teams would be desperate to have a chat with him I would’ve thought.”

I'm a no on Dunkley. We have enough possession accumulators in the side I don't think we'd need another one if he became available.

If Luko becomes available we should throw our eggs there.

I'm a no on Dunkley. We have enough possession accumulators in the side I don't think we'd need another one if he became available.

If Luko becomes available we should throw our eggs there.
This.
In the unlikely event Daniel wants to come home, make a play.
Elite disposal and frees up someone else to go through the midfield.

So basically Dunkley is coming to Adelaide because his girlfriend plays for the thunderbirds? I think that’s a pretty long bow to draw

This.
In the unlikely event Daniel wants to come home, make a play.
Elite disposal and frees up someone else to go through the midfield.

And play Daniel at full-forward?

Not sure if he is the player Port is after. I use to think an elite mid was needed, but will wait and see what happens this season.

We do have a spot for a small forward.
Rankine probably the best available.
Crows less likely to go hard at him with Josh Rachele on their list.

Meh I'd love Dunkley at Ports. Its awesome that we get to give those other "potential mids" one last season to show up before making that decision too.

Adelaide might be more attractive though, they can probably offer him more $ and a longer contract.

So basically Dunkley is coming to Adelaide because his girlfriend plays for the thunderbirds? I think that’s a pretty long bow to draw

He spends a lot of time here, not just because of his girlfriend.

We could definitely do with him. Boak and Gray are on their last legs. Dunkley is the perfect replacement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunkley would be great for us, make no mistake. A starting midfield of Wines, Dunkley and Butters is mouthwatering. But coming to Adelaide because his girlfriend has a one year contract with a team that almost folded 6 months ago? Want factor 10/10. Reality factor 2/10.

The Lukosius thing has been around from two months before the day he was drafted. At Port he could either anchor the defence or roam around the forward line like an unregistered (60 goal a year) dog while Finlayson, Georgiades and Marshall keep the tall defenders occupied. With Ben King signing today, the reality factor improved slightly on this one. Want factor 11/10. Reality factor 4/10.

i want chad pascoe-warren-wingard back, just because he morphed in a jake neade type

He spends a lot of time here, not just because of his girlfriend.

We could definitely do with him. Boak and Gray are on their last legs. Dunkley is the perfect replacement

I don’t know.

I have 4 concerns

1. Has only one high end season under his belt at the age of 25 (28.3d 3.7i50 6.1t 5.2clrs)

The rest of his career he’s averaged around 18-23d 2.5i50 and 2.6 to 3.9 clearances.

Those are fairly average numbers.

2. At the age of 25 he’s only played a full season once in his career. That’s as injury prone as anyone. Ryan burton at the same age has played more full seasons and pips (by a nose) Dunkley for total games. And burton is held together by hopes and dreams.

3. He’s a slower inside and spread to the outside style mid of which we already have the much better wines and drew for.

I don’t think all 3 would be a very good mix at all. We can rotate them around so they get split up with other players (like butters). While boak isn’t a real speedster I think he is (or has been over the course) quicker and a better runner from contests than Dunkley.

4. Performance to cost ratio.

I think the trade price the dogs would be asking for will outstrip the actual performances Dunkley has put on the board. And port has been known to fold so the dogs will push hard to get overs knowing they could get away with it.

Those are the negatives. When I look at a player like Spp, who can put up the numbers Dunkley has produced with midfield time (instead of playing forward) and the fact that if we traded Spp out end of year and brought Dunkley in Spp would likely get us a 3rd rounder but dogs would ask for 2 1sts for Dunkley and maybe let him go for a 1st rounder and a 2nd if our 1st rounder was early enough. If it is a later 1st rounder I don’t see them taking that with a 2nd and they’ll ask for more.

The difference in cost between the two would be staggering, and it shouldn’t be.

That’s the negatives.

The positives of trading for Dunkley would be

1. Known quantity and safer than risking busting on a draft pick which could easily not work out.
2. Ready to play straight away and in his prime

If he was a free agent and the only thing we lose is money i could see a reason to chance that he can produce those high end numbers again and can become less injury prone.

But knowing we have a history of folding and paying more for players there is a fair bit of risk there for a player who will be expensive trade and salary wise.

I would much rather either develop from within, or look for a better value trade option. I’m not yet entirely sold on Tom sparrow, but if you did think he could make it as a high end mid, targeting him for cheaper and developing him into the player you need would be a good option. He’s better suited to mixing with our current types than Dunkley I believe.

The obvious ooc players from Sa are

Luko
Rankine
Pickett
Day
Powell
Sparrow

There’s some very good targets there.

Luko is the obvious one. Quality talls are hard to come by. We should be heavily into him.

Post Dixon a Georgiades finlayson luko and Marshall forward line would be incredibly hard to defend and could work very well. Set our spine up for years.

We have a massive massive problem at small forward. Part of the problem is a) the afl kinda bred the position out of the game by making it a rolling endurance fest scrum that means teams take more mids into games to rotate, play mids forward more and the rolling scrum means contests in the forward line are more often just stoppages now rather than crumbling opportunistic chances

And b) Hinkleys gameplan is to create repeat entry stoppages in the forward half rather than trying to score by hitting targets

But we need some players who know how to play the position, and some speed and class there.

Rankine and Pickett both suit those needs very well. Both should be very high on our list of wants. Unfortunately there is several problems. Rankine hasn’t produced to the level he was hoped to, has been a bit injury prone and will carry a heavy price to actual performance cost. Also doesn’t seem to be linked to port.

Pickett again would suit our needs, but under Hinkley his game would likely suffer in that system and he would likely under produce post trade to expectations. Also Pickett would be hard to pry out of a winning team that suits his game to a tee. Especially not this early in his career.

Will Day is a half back flanker, which probably would elicit some groans from port fans, but he’s a half back with unbelievable instincts. Very fluid intercepting half back who is injury prone. Would be a great player to land but can’t see him leaving hawks this early.

Tom Powell. Ball magnet midfielder at the kangaroos. Hasn’t had a chance yet to really prove what he can be at the level, but could be a very good player. Really really unlikely we could pry him out this early, but Roos have a tonne of centre square mids that they eventually could not play all.

Sparrow. Yet to prove himself as a good or quality mid playing off of half back for the demons. Unlikely we pry him out of a winning team as he might bide his time, has some stuff to like that makes him worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back