List Mgmt. Trade Targets / Rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no Sam Gray apologist but he's still averaged a goal a game and just shy of 20 disposals over a career of almost 100 games now. And I don't agree with the general consensus here that his performances in big games are any worse than other small forwards against top talent; if anything he seems to be ticking the scoreboard over at important times early on in games more and more.

That said I agree with our hesitation to offer him anything substantial if the overall fit for our developing list is not right (particularly if it stops us playing him as a key forward*). He would be a top half performer for a team like Carlton and personally wouldn't begrudge him chasing one decent contract before his shelf life expires.

*unlikely, see Brett Ebert, Neade.. Woodcock currently being groomed for the role in 2020+

Also we have a habit of gifting nice contracts based on the spike in performance from players in contract years.

Identifying which players do this and being aggressive with trading them (or giving them max 2 year contracts to motivate) should be a given strategy.

Polec always struck me as this type so going to be monitoring his career at North with interest.

Ditts on triple M this morning said a start player is being shopped around and he was a little concerned.

Any ideas who ?
Probs Ryder. I reckon he wants to stay for mutliple years here.

Excuse the intrusion, come in peace
If Ryder is looking at moving to Sydney would you package him up with a 2nd round pick (or first if Sydney demand) for Hayward? SA lad very talented and adds pace to your lineup

If Ryder is looking at moving to Sydney would you package him up with a 2nd round pick (or first if Sydney demand) for Hayward? SA lad very talented and adds pace to your lineup

I wouldn’t mind that personally. Especially as we don’t need a 2nd round pick with our 4th being used for Mead instead of a 2nd round (where a bid would likely come from).

This would be an amazing outcome. No chance Sydney would take it.

Sorry, this was meant for a second. Not a first. Our first will end up being too high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Club moves on SPP they have totally lost the plot, not that it's in doubt anyway.

The guy is never going to be a silky, 30+ possession player but what he does bring you just can't teach or replace, and every side needs an SPP or more.

He's still very young and with the right coaching I'm sure he'd be one of those guys that is first picked every week. Like many of our youngsters over the past few years I get the feeling he's being horribly managed and doesn't know what's expected from him anymore.

Just another that we seem to want to remove or dilute everything that made him get here in the first place and replace it with some sanitised, model citizen clone to fit the David Koch narrative of what he wants Port to represent. He wants man huggers.

Give him confidence, tell him you need him to set the standards with his attack on the ball and body and here's a guy that will run through brick walls for a coach that believes in them and yet hear we are, possibly looking at moving on another youngster that has gone backwards under Hinkley.

CLUB - see the pattern yet????

That would require Hayward asking Sydney to trade him or Sydney looking to move into our 1st pick for a reason and seeing Hayward as expendable which isn’t very Sydney like.

Ryder and a second I would do in a heartbeat but don’t think Sydney would

I wouldn’t do our 1st and Ryder for Hayward.

Sam Gray has no trade value. Aaron Young was and is a better player and we got a 4th rounder for him. If we were really lucky we might get a third for Gray.

I’ll take it

Shopped around implies value. Rules out Paddy.

SPP is currently in and out and the only player we could shop around who has any currency.

This. Why do people think we'd get anything for Ryder? I doubt he'll be at the club next year. There's no way he should be signed over any of Hayes, Ladhams or Frampton.

Reckon the club is keen to offload SPP too.

Not a popular call but I like Sam Gray as a player. Good tackler, can find the footy, and knows where the goals are. There are many players I would be getting rid of before him.
Motlop
Sutcliffe
Mckenzie
Trengove
Westhoff
Ryder
Hewett
Johnson
Broadbent

All the above we should be considering about moving on, there's a few experienced players in there.
He's averaging 20d and a goal this year, hardly the worst guy we have out there. I'm not sure it's his fault if he's being asked to play as a marking forward (while Frampton and Marshall play out in Port Pirie) when it's clearly not his best position. Fix up the structure of the side and the way we play and he's a more than handy player.

This. Why do people think we'd get anything for Ryder? I doubt he'll be at the club next year. There's no way he should be signed over any of Hayes, Ladhams or Frampton.

Reckon the club is keen to offload SPP too.
Don't think SPP will be offloaded .. Think Boak might have a few words to say if the Club tries that ... lol

Sam Gray isn’t the problem. How Ken Hinkley has used him in the past is a problem. He’s been less of a small full forward this year and is having a pretty solid season. Should be around the top 10 in our B&F.

We need to turf Ken before Rozee/Farrell have the careers ruined by playing as a one out marking target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back