List Mgmt. Trade Targets / Rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would target a young genuinely tall defender to release Howard to the forward line.

Austin could have been that player but he is gone now.
How would you feel about a 197cm 19 year old from Wudinna just north of Eyre Peninsula who’s had his AFL debut?

I would target a young genuinely tall defender to release Howard to the forward line.

Austin could have been that player but he is gone now.
Was thinking same weitering would be nice or andrews but not going to happen.

if i was me id give ryder a year with a trigger for the second year. he'd be mad to leave as i would have no doubt he would be offered a job in our indigenous programs when he retires im not sure he'd get offered that if he left

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We risk losing Ladhams if he can get an AFL game every week elsewhere whilst we play Ryder for another year.

I think it's worse than just Ladhams. We now have a group of young players that are in the "too good for SANFL" category that are lacking in AFL opportunity - Ladhams, Garner, Drew, Frampton and Farrell. An argument could probably be made for Atley as well. The injuries at AFL level have largely masked this situation, Drew has played a few games for example, but it's real.

On the surface, this would be fan-bloody-tastic because that means that there's competition for spots and our AFL lads better play well or they'll be dropped. Bzzzzz Wrong! The problem is that Ken has established that performance isn't an overly important metric in his selection decisions, *cough* Aidyn Johnson *cough*, and so the vultures will be circling to pry away our highly talented league players that are AFL ready. This is where the senior coach's selection philosophy intersects with list management and only one will triumph. We need to be damn sure what our team is going to look like moving forward otherwise we're going to find ourselves in a situation with a bunch of senior players retirements and no AFL ready players to take their place. The cost of retaining Ken's services has just become a lot more expensive.

I'm shocked Ryder isn't thinking retirement

I'm not.

14 years as an AFL footballer and he's played in 3 finals for 0 finals wins.

He's experienced no level of team success at all and would be desperate to hang on for as long as he can.

Lol...every team in the league who is halfway decent has a “too good for the reserves” category.

Guess what happens when those players leave? You get decent draft picks, and not the dross we’ve become accustomed to for players that this board overrates like Ah Chee and Young.

It’s called actually having a decent development system. Ken Hinkley is part of the list management committee along with Chris Davies and Jason Cripps, so I’m pretty sure he knows how good the players can be...which is probably why he’s not playing them just because they are too good for SANFL. He wants them to be better than that.

We risk losing Ladhams if he can get an AFL game every week elsewhere whilst we play Ryder for another year.

I think it'd be pretty rough if he were to leave this year. It's really the first year he's looked AFL ready and we were the only club that wanted to give him an opportunity.

Lol...every team in the league who is halfway decent has a “too good for the reserves” category.

Guess what happens when those players leave? You get decent draft picks, and not the dross we’ve become accustomed to for players that this board overrates like Ah Chee and Young.

It’s called actually having a decent development system. Ken Hinkley is part of the list management committee along with Chris Davies and Jason Cripps, so I’m pretty sure he knows how good the players can be...which is probably why he’s not playing them just because they are too good for SANFL. He wants them to be better than that.

Every team in the league who is halfway decent should have a off field team capable of recognising the value between getting an extra 10-20 games out of Ryder and between developing the next piece of your future.

I would far far prefer to get the 'dross' draft picks we've gotten for guys like young and ah chee and let our proven draft team have those picks than get the kind of mid to late picks we would get for ladhams Farrell atley frampton while we develop a massive hole behind guys like Ryder boak and Dixon because of it

Every team in the league who is halfway decent should have a off field team capable of recognising the value between getting an extra 10-20 games out of Ryder and between developing the next piece of your future.

I would far far prefer to get the 'dross' draft picks we've gotten for guys like young and ah chee and let our proven draft team have those picks than get the kind of mid to late picks we would get for ladhams Farrell atley frampton while we develop a massive hole behind guys like Ryder boak and Dixon because of it

Why would they leave then? If there's going to be a hole left behind Ryder Boak and Dixon, wouldn't they be thinking 'If I just stay here and work on my game, I can slot into those holes in 1,2,3 years?'

They aren't players that were best 22 that are disenfranchised with the fact that they aren't getting picked anymore. Most players who switch clubs do so for three reasons a) they think the club they are going to has a better shot at the flag in the coming years b) they believe they deserve to be best 22 or c) they want more money.

If these guys leave for any of those reasons, they aren't worth holding onto anyway. What they should be doing is looking at this 'hole' that is coming and realising that they were drafted to fill that hole, so they will be getting the rewards very soon. The reason why Geelong is successful is because their reserves players know that if they play the way the AFL side does, when a spot opens up for them, they will be able to slot in seamlessly and the senior side won't miss a beat. Hence why I much prefer Lokan coaching the SANFL side the way the AFL side is coached than Chad Cornes' 'win at all costs' mentality that isn't going to prepare them for AFL.

If Ladhams is good enough to displace Ryder, then he displaces him. He's not getting gifted games just because he's young. That's what Matthew Primus did, and it's the reason why we had a list that looked talented but went to water when the pressure was on.

Why would they leave then? If there's going to be a hole left behind Ryder Boak and Dixon, wouldn't they be thinking 'If I just stay here and work on my game, I can slot into those holes in 1,2,3 years?'

They aren't players that were best 22 that are disenfranchised with the fact that they aren't getting picked anymore. Most players who switch clubs do so for three reasons a) they think the club they are going to has a better shot at the flag in the coming years b) they believe they deserve to be best 22 or c) they want more money.

If these guys leave for any of those reasons, they aren't worth holding onto anyway. What they should be doing is looking at this 'hole' that is coming and realising that they were drafted to fill that hole, so they will be getting the rewards very soon. The reason why Geelong is successful is because their reserves players know that if they play the way the AFL side does, when a spot opens up for them, they will be able to slot in seamlessly and the senior side won't miss a beat. Hence why I much prefer Lokan coaching the SANFL side the way the AFL side is coached than Chad Cornes' 'win at all costs' mentality that isn't going to prepare them for AFL.

If Ladhams is good enough to displace Ryder, then he displaces him. He's not getting gifted games just because he's young. That's what Matthew Primus did, and it's the reason why we had a list that looked talented but went to water when the pressure was on.

This is a lot of words that doesn’t mean very much.

There would be a hole left if we kept older guys on the list and picked them over these young guys and the young guys left. If we let some older guys go or shunted them to the sanfl we would not have a hole, and the roster spots could be used to develop the next players.

The idea they will wait years to get picked and if they don’t wait they aren’t worth keeping is wrong.

Of course there is nothing wrong about allowing players to develop in the seconds and build form and there is nothing wrong with putting your best team on the park to get wins. Except we’re not winning much and we’re not picking the best side.

ladhams has been the most consistent magpies player this year imo

Ryder’s form isn’t at a level that he demands to be picked every week.

There would be a hole left if we kept older guys on the list and picked them over these young guys and the young guys left. If we let some older guys go or shunted them to the sanfl we would not have a hole, and the roster spots could be used to develop the next players.

The idea they will wait years to get picked and if they don’t wait they aren’t worth keeping is wrong.
Not to mention that Ladhams would be rightly put off by the club deciding to recruit Lycett in the offseason, and if he can't even get a run as second banana ahead of a guy in his 30s who's comfortably past his best, its in his best interest to move club.

Honestly, even the prospect of being stuck playing second ruck to the 26 year old AFL ruckman we only just recruited would be cause enough for a young ruck with any kind of self-esteem to start looking elsewhere for opportunities. Keep adding Ryder in and its farcical, you'd be ******* your list and Ladhams would be 100% right to leave.

Of course there is nothing wrong about allowing players to develop in the seconds and build form and there is nothing wrong with putting your best team on the park to get wins. Except we’re not winning much and we’re not picking the best side.

ladhams has been the most consistent magpies player this year imo

Ryder’s form isn’t at a level that he demands to be picked every week.

Ryder isn't playing as a primary ruck though, he's playing as a ruck/forward. Ladhams is Lycett's replacement. Frampton/Hayes is Ryder's replacement.

Ladhams is what, 21? Reilly O'Brien had to wait until he was 23 before he got his debut. He'll wait.

I think people are overrating some good SANFL form from Ladhams just because of how long it's been since we've had a good ruckman in the SANFL. There isn't a single club in the league where he'd be #1 ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back