List Mgmt. Trade Targets / Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaveit2charlie

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd be a little confused if we go ahead and recruit Brennan Cox given our no dickheads policy

"Dickhead" is a relative expression.
Stay out of jail and don't have Abe Saffrons associate's hanging around the club you're probably ok.

OK. So how good is he?

I live a thousand kms away...

Butters Made Me Do It what think you.

He's the best of the junior rucks on our list and he's a handy forward too.

He was leading our ruck at sanfl last year and acquitting himself well. This is an 18 year old kid in his first season against experienced men.

He is tall, mobile, a strong grab, will easily bulk up and plays with at the ball aggression. I'm a big fan even before his draft year. Did everything and more at sanfl level pre-injury that I expected.

O’Brien is average at best and most clubs wouldn’t have known who he was much less been after him. Ladhams has ******* smoked anything O’Brien ever did at sanfl level.

Also, if you’re saying ladhams will only get games when lycett retires (because ken wouldn’t bench a free agent signing ruckman unless he stunk it up massively) you might as well say ladhams should ********.

Ladhams should be second in line to the ruck next year no matter what.

The same Ladhams who is still a rookie listed player, who got a one year deal at the end of last year?

I'm pretty sure he'll be happy enough just to make it onto the primary list at the end of the year.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The same Ladhams who is still a rookie listed player, who got a one year deal at the end of last year?

I'm pretty sure he'll be happy enough just to make it onto the primary list at the end of the year.

Why ice ladhams until 2021-2022?

What purpose would that serve when we realistically aren’t a premiership team tommorow and the young core of our team are all sam Hayes and ladhams age and we already have a ready made 26/27 yr old ruck?

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
At junior level, Hayes was killing it at the role we currently want Ryder anyone to play - go forward, lead strongly, mark, and kick a sweet goal, with the bonus that he's a ruckman. He was doing it well as a 17 year old for Vic Metro and followed up in much the same fashion the following year. Love him, he's great.

Skinny, but with a square frame that should build up for the AFL contest in time.
He showed enough last year at SANFL level to know he will be a very good ruckman, but ladhams has gone next level dominant.
We have to get games into ladhams this year. He seriously could be a grundy type at afl level.
We simply can't overlook the young talent on our list just because, contracts, age, experience etc. Garner and Drew, must become regulars in our AFL side. We need to find a way to get ladhams in too... Although the ruck position isn't quite as urgent

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It seems logical to me that lycett serving as the mature ruck with ladhams Hayes developing and Frampton as a 200cm key forward who can ruck is a great mix that allows us good ready rucks while also developing rucks.

I assumed Ryder would get another year but if someone is willing to trade for him it would be smart to take it

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Even in his (Hayes)brief time playing Maggie's I saw footy brain stuff re getting to the ball and positioning that you see in very few players let alone his size.

Genuinely excited to see him back soon. Love the young guys from this year but he excites me more. I will put my balls on the line and say barring injury he will be close to our most important player within three years (No pressure).

If Hayes hadn't been injured he would have played last year. As I recall we extended his contract after a few sanfl games.

Depending when he is over the glandular fever I wouldn't put a line through his name for an AFL debut this year.

He is highly rated at Port.

Marat

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2017
Marrickville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Did you see him play in that year one? Big kids in under 18’s are very easy to over rate. Did you see him against men?
Saw him tear the bays apart in a quarter round 5 or 6 last year - most impressive quarter i have seen from a young tall since i saw sticks Kernahan go round in the bay reserves. He was allready a good size and apparently hes put on 10kg. Make no mistake, if his knees are okay he will be a serious talent

Last edited:

Marat

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2017
Marrickville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think people are overrating some good SANFL form from Ladhams just because of how long it's been since we've had a good ruckman in the SANFL. There isn't a single club in the league where he'd be #1 ruck.
Agreed - We all thought he was delist material this time last year. His development since has been extremely promising and hes had his debut but lets not get ahead of ourselves here - particularly as a centre square ruckman there is a gulf between him and ryder

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd moveon Ryder before either Frampton or ladhams
Going to be interesting im all for adding to our young group if paddy was going to cost us ladhams would keep the kid. But hopefully we keep both think paddy has atleast another year in him.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would have traded Ryder last year and said so at the time.

If he’s with us next year I’d hope it’s in the sanfl on base pure depth pay or a touch above because from a list management position that seems around what he’s worth to us as disappointing as it sounds.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
I'm not even sure Ryder is a lock for best 22 anymore let alone warranting an extension of his contract. He has severely regressed this season, is no where near the player he was back in 2017 when he was awarded All-Australian selection. As a forward he offers very little, doesn't have a forward's footy brain at all.

I think his future is largely dependant on how Hayes and Ladhams go the rest of the year, along with where the team is at come the end of the season. If we look like we could contend in 2019, you probably keep him for 1 year, hope he is able to get one last wish out of the genie. Even then, I doubt he would be an automatic selection next year anyway. The way Ladhams is playing is far beyond SANFL standard. He's not a lead ruck at AFL level, but I don't think Ryder is anymore either. Hayes is a wildcard. Showed a ton last year before getting injured. Whilst I don't think he's going to be pushing AFL selection next year, I don't think he'll necessarily be that far off either if he gets his legs back under him when he returns from injury.

We finally have a good stock of rucks to pick and choose from. I just hope that if they do keep Ryder, that he's not an automatic selection with an illustrious Ken Hinkley gold pass.

Anyone thinking that we should give Ryder a 2-year deal however is seriously mistaken considering our ruck depth and Ryder's age (32 at the start of next season).

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’m not sure it’s a huge worry.

Really there are three players we are ‘concerned’ about: Ladhams, Drew and Atley.

Ladhams will get another game or two this year and should be ready to push hard for the number two spot next year.
Ryder should get offered one year with the understanding he is no longer a walk up 22 or be traded. Hayes has plenty of time to develop and push for a spot.

Atley and Drew are both getting games and have been well supported by the club. Boak’s resurgence has been a spanner in the works but both would understand that there is one, maybe two spots available with Boak, Rockliff, Ebert and Robbie Gray all slowing down. If either wants to go, that’s a shame, but oh well. Houston, Rozee, Wines, SPP, Butters and Burton (I believe) all offer something in the middle and are young.

For me, the greater concern is the players we have brought in. Trengove and McKenzie have provided some leadership in the twos but little else. Rockliff struggled all of last year, has played well this year when not injured and looks like he is slowing down quickly. Motlop has provided moments of brilliance but nothing more, is he even best 22? Watts played ok last year and had one good game this year as a HBF. Wasn’t he supposed to help with our goal kicking and forward fifty entry?
Dixon has had one good season with us. Ryder has been the best of our recruits but his game is becoming completely one dimensional - tap ruckman and nothing else. This crop was supposed to deliver us to a top four spot and a flag - let’s not beat around the bush. At this point Ryder, Watts and Motlop are borderline best 22, Trengove and McKenzie will likely be delisted at years end and Dixon should walk back into the side. Rocky is line ball, if Boak, SPP and Wines give us plenty then do we need him and how do we fit him in? Throw in the worrisome injuries of Hartlett, Broadbent and Ebert and there are some serious concerns over our ‘senior’ core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back