Not open for further replies.

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Venn diagram for Janus and Complicated

If Carlton can get Matt Kennedy (a midfielder and similar draft position and averages from first season) from GWS for pick 28 why should we be expected to give up pick 9 or approximate value of 11 for homesick Hately?

For the record, I don't rate Matt Kennedy but he did have a reasonable first season before being traded.

rainwizard39

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Carlton can get Matt Kennedy (a midfielder and similar draft position and averages from first season) from GWS for pick 28 why should we be expected to give up pick 9 or approximate value of 11 for homesick Hately?

For the record, I don't rate Matt Kennedy but he did have a reasonable first season before being traded.
Was also about too say this. Also setterfield was another. They’ll be dumping players next year for space when they try to resign Whitfield.

Because you have to factor in the strength of the draft in comparison to the strength of the draft that Hately was selected in.

If we can get Hately for 27 and keep 9, obviously that's a better solution. I'm looking at worst case scenarios.

Because you have to factor in the strength of the draft in comparison to the strength of the draft that Hately was selected in.

If we can get Hately for 27 and keep 9, obviously that's a better solution. I'm looking at worst case scenarios.
It wasn't really directed at that scenario. It's more that we will be expected to give up more for similar players returning home than a Victorian club.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah no I wouldn't be calling that an Embarrassment of riches. Has the capacity to become good, and has also shown it can be one of the best units too I wil acknowledge, but not an Embarrassment of riches

Was there a reason you didn't include Jonas in that?

I didn't include Jonas simply because I forgot him. I was doing it off the top of my head. So that is 14 defenders.

As I explained above, To me an embarrassment of riches means "an overabundance of something" Wikipedia

So now it is 14 defenders all on our main list.. Yes most are average AFL defenders in an average team, although DBJ, Clurey and Burton are arguably well above average. Jonas when playing well is too, but he didn't play well last year too

The embarrassment of riches is that we have 14 of them. That to me indicates a list management issues, or maybe Hinkley's preferences coming through too strongly. For example we could not say we have 14 AFL standard forwards. You would get laughed down for saying that. I'd say we have three or four, and two of them RGray and Rozee are desperately needed elsewhere.

That was my point. Not that we have a star-studded back line. It's that we have too many average to good defenders on our list. Yet we are trading none that might even have currency.

II know I am sounding defensive, but I am just trying to make my point clear. Our list is wrong, wrong, wrong. Our age demographic is skewed towards inexperienced or nearly retired players. Regarding onfield roles we have too many defenders (and not just by one or two), too many inside mids and not enough runners.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I didn't include Jonas simply because I forgot him. I was doing it off the top of my head. So that is 14 defenders.

As I explained above, To me an embarrassment of riches means "an overabundance of something" Wikipedia

So now it is 14 defenders all on our main list.. Yes most are average AFL defenders in an average team, although DBJ, Clurey and Burton are arguably well above average. Jonas when playing well is too, but he didn't play well last year too

The embarrassment of riches is that we have 14 of them. That to me indicates a list management issues, or maybe Hinkley's preferences coming through too strongly. For example we could not say we have 14 AFL standard forwards. You would get laughed down for saying that. I'd say we have three or four, and two of them RGray and Rozee are desperately needed elsewhere.

That was my point. Not that we have a star-studded back line. It's that we have too many average to good defenders on our list. Yet we are trading none that might even have currency.

II know I am sounding defensive, but I am just trying to make my point clear. Our list is wrong, wrong, wrong. Our age demographic is skewed towards inexperienced or nearly retired players. Regarding onfield roles we have too many defenders (and not just by one or two), too many inside mids and not enough runners.
You dont have to defend yourself! Our defence (including & because of the depth) is up there amongst the best in the AFL. People here are just cheesed off with Ken, the Club, and everything Port, and so are happy to throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Our defence is our strength .... we just need to get the other 80% right!!!

Our defence is our weakness tbh because we over resource it
With Ken needing top eight this season, supposedly, to survive, how do we measure what the club does this offseason against what we should do?

I’ve seen heaps of suggestions but little strategy.

Are we building, like last draft, or topping up, like the year before? I would love to know your thoughts.

With Ken needing top eight this season, supposedly, to survive, how do we measure what the club does this offseason against what we should do?

Are we building, like last draft, or topping up, like the year before? I would love to know your thoughts.
honestly ive shifted to idgaf

theyll do whatever the * they want

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

In a weak draft we should be looking to trade our picks but not for anyone over 25.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
In a weak draft we should be looking to tardebour picks but not for anyone over 25.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thanks for replying. I assume you meant “trade our”.

I have a problem though, and perhaps next season I might promise not to... I have honoured a promise to Macca19 this season not to mention a certain hair flicking flog.

I don’t trust them, I really, really don’t, and my trust has been pushed so far that I’m not sure that I care.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
honestly ive shifted to idgaf

theyll do whatever the fu** they want

The problem I have is that if we do well, Hinkley will get an extension. Even if we win the premiership it will be in spite of him and not because of him IMHO. If that happens it will be because he listens to the assistants more often, or he will pull his finger out of his arse and try instead of channeling all this zen bullshit, or the players themselves will commit themselves indepedently of Ken. Still it is more likely we will meander into the eight, maybe win a final or two. Great. Two or three years more of Ken.

If we lose, its going to be another bleak year of football which I am ******* sick of. Same old selection mistakes, same old game day mistakes. We get another coach, but players who really deserve more are another year older, and younger players are another year disillusioned and underdeveloped.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Maybe if we lose the first five games, Hinkley get's sacked, and then we go on an incredible winning streak from then on. Only unlikely happy outcome I can see.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Without Rucci saying it directly, sounds like Frampton is most of the way down the road to the crows. His head hasn't been right in the finals, so perhaps this is the reason.
I don't know whether I'll be more upset with Frampton leaving or Hinkley for not playing him enough. Time will tell. Is Frampton capable or not? Sometimes I think maybe but other times no.

Turiyasangitananda

Cancelled
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The problem I have is that if we do well, Hinkley will get an extension. Even if we win the premiership it will be in spite of him and not because of him IMHO. If that happens it will be because he listens to the assistants more often, or he will pull his finger out of his arse and try instead of channeling all this zen bulls**t, or the players themselves will commit themselves indepedently of Ken. Still it is more likely we will meander into the eight, maybe win a final or two. Great. Two or three years more of Ken.

If we lose, its going to be another bleak year of football which I am ******* sick of. Same old selection mistakes, same old game day mistakes. We get another coach, but players who really deserve more are another year older, and younger players are another year disillusioned and underdeveloped.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Maybe if we lose the first five games, Hinkley get's sacked, and then we go on an incredible winning streak from then on. Only unlikely happy outcome I can see.
If we win a premiership with Hinkley at the helm, I could not give a shight. As much as I want him gone, I'm still deluded enough to be hoping we win a premiership next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back