List Mgmt. Trade Targets / Rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Within an hour of signing his first professional basketball contract in 1992, Shaquille O’Neal blew through $1 million.

I call bulls**t on this hyperbolic narrative.

The former NBA star, who was 20 at the time, bought a $150,000 Mercedes Benz for himself and one for his dad. He also bought a car for his mom and paid off her house.

So for starters, even if we assume that the cars were all purchased from the same dealer I'm to believe that Shaq had 5 contracts at hand and ready to be signed from 3 different agents (NBA, real estate, car salesman), and was able to do so within an hour, in the pre-internet age. Ok then.

Secondly, breaking that up we're talking about $350k worth of car and $650k put towards paying off a mortgage. Assuming that his mother lived in New Jersey where he was raised, the average house price since 1992 has since tripled in nominal prices, so we're talking about a house worth in the order of $2 million today. Sounds like a fantastic investment.

So what actually happened is a guy signs an insanely large contract and immediately makes a fantastic investment, and then spends a tiny portion of that $40 million contract to modestly reward he and his parents for the 10+ years of blood, sweat and tears they'd all put in to helping him realise his dream and success.

WOW WHAT A CRAZY GUY SO FISCALLY IRRESPONSIBLE

The point of the story was that he made a conscious effort to be more financially responsible after spending his first big pay cheque within 20 mins of receiving it. If he continued on that path, he wouldn’t have anywhere near the wealth he has today.

Story in AFL app that ess and north into Howard simply can't let him go.

"There is a growing belief the contracted Power swingman can be lured from Alberton despite him signing a three-year extension in December last year to remain until the end of 2022.

Howard's decision may come down to his willingness to play as a forward at Port Adelaide."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must be a day for rumors now i here caracella as crows coach and brad scott as senior assistant or director (former teammates) . Did caracella actually come out and say he wouldnt coach? He signed with bombers but he could get out of that. Would be a good combo for them if they could pull it off

Must be a day for rumors now i here caracella as crows coach and brad scott as senior assistant or director (former teammates) . Did caracella actually come out and say he wouldnt coach? He signed with bombers but he could get out of that. Would be a good combo for them if they could pull it off
When did they play together?

The point of the story was that he made a conscious effort to be more financially responsible after spending his first big pay cheque within 20 mins of receiving it. If he continued on that path, he wouldn’t have anywhere near the wealth he has today.
It's not like he really was over the top - 3 cars and paid off a mortgage. Unless he was planning to buy 3 cars each week and his mum take out another mortgage each month it was hardly crazy stuff. If it'd been all Charlie Sheen 'I spent $1 million on crack I sniffed off hookers arses in one week and learnt my lesson' that'd be something different.

Didn’t Brad Scott accept a role with the AFL?
It would be totally unlike the AFL to give him a job so a Melbourne club didn’t have to pick up his final year of his contract.

It's interesting that so many people are denigrating Ollie Wines yet extolling Dougal Howard.

Whilst I don't dislike Dougie, he has played some shocking games for us. Some absolute Howlers. He gets an inordinate amount of slack on this board. I think he's worth persisting with, but please don't try and tell me he's on the road to greatness. His height is handy, but so far he's shown me nothing to suggest he'll be anything but an average to good player. Makes a s**t load of mistakes and poor decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back