List Mgmt. Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko still has amazing passion to coach .... a new club in a new state with an amazing list .... if coaching is you thing, and it appears to be for Clarko, what better opportunity to show you skills
Helping us to greater success is good for the game, I think that would appeal to clarkson

I do think we are no chance to get Clarko.

Let’s remember we are competing for finals. That’s all the AFL wants.

Their other new club isnt, so that tells me where they would hope he goes.

I completely agree.

However, you’re tempting fate making this observation 3 days before we meet the Suns on the bulldog badlands!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So genuinely

if we are trading anyone in this year it’s clear they won’t be a star…. But they will need to make the team better. So it would need to be an upgrade to thecurrent 22…. I reckon DanielRioli is the upgrade

what do u blokes reckon

So genuinely

if we are trading anyone in this year it’s clear they won’t be a star…. But they will need to make the team better. So it would need to be an upgrade to thecurrent 22…. I reckon DanielRioli is the upgrade

what do u blokes reckon
Think we're covered there.
In my mind he is much the same as Hill, Daniels and Bruhn with less upside.
If we do get someone I'd reckon it would be a key defender

Think we're covered there.
In my mind he is much the same as Hill, Daniels and Bruhn with less upside.
If we do get someone I'd reckon it would be a key defender
Bruhn will be a midfielder

That half forward flank role isn’t a place we have depth tho. We normally have a resting mid or lloyd there.
Hill and Daniels are more that small forward who pinch hit up the ground

I’m keen to watch DR play the us weekend as he is selected again this week.
You aren’t the first person to name a KPD as a need and I tend to agree. I’m yet to see any viable options listed though

There were obviously a lot of different thoughts, but broadly the early season thoughts fitted into the categories of (1) speed (2) experience - my interpretation being in response to the loss of experience, particularly from defence, at the end of 2020 & (3) defenders - mainly running defenders, largely associated with points (1) & (2) in my interpretation. Looking back KPP was probably a lesser-mentioned aspect, but Daniel Rioli actually received a few mentions specifically.

I think what we've seen this year in player development, as well as our drafting, has put paid to a lot of the previously-perceived experienced/defender needs. Cumming & Idun's development into solid 22 members, and Ash's continued development I think has the small/medium defender area fairly well covered - plus Josh Fahey as a potential academy pickup in the 2021 National Draft. Speed I think is still in a lot of thoughts, but probably more aimed at addressing that through the draft. Cumming & Ash have obviously addressed that in the defensive area. Tall defender has probably come to the fore; although Jack Buckley emerged this year, his and Keeffe's extended injuries and Davis' emerging physical decline mean we are short there for 2022.

KPF is still an unfinished area, but the Hogan trial is still going. He's obviously a great talent, but the question is can we rehabilitate his body to ensure he's a regular contributor? Brisbane has got great benefit from their medical staff solving Lincoln McCarthy's and Joe Daniher's issues, so there's great upside if we can. Beside Jesse, there's still Jake Riccardi to develop, so getting another KPD at the draft just adds to a queue.

In the small/medium forwards, we have talent in Bobby & Binga to go alongside Toby, but need to get more from both of them. Lloyd is a solid guy, but only that, and at his age has a limited career left. I would agree that we need to get more out of our small forward, particularly in respect of goalkicking. I'm not averse to Dan Rioli, but we would want to believe we can get him back to the 2018 version (which was his peak year of performance). Looking at this year, he's probably on much of a par with Bobby & Binga - he's a bit more contested and much more effective in disposal than Bobby but kicks around the same goals, and gets less ball/influence than Binga but Binga can't kick goals. (Hence why Rioli has been dropped a few times by the Tigers this year.)

Rather than trading, there are some small/medium forwards in the current draft who could be compatible for GWS - Josh Rachele in the early draft pick range, and Judson Clarke in the second round range (depending on how picks end up for us, obviously), although the draft is a lottery and trading gets you exactly what you want - if you can pull it off. The only question would be the price: I wouldn't want to pay more than a second round pick for Rioli, not that we have a second at the moment.

TBH, at this point of the season, I'm none too fussed about going for trades. I'd be happy to take most of our picks to the draft. The only exception would probably be to pick up an experienced KPD to fill the injury gap of Keeffe & Buckley (but we definitely need to get a KPD at the draft, such as Josh Gibcus), but I'd be looking at free agents or DFAs for someone who would primarily be a second grader able to pinch hit in firsts when injury strikes (exactly what Lachie Keeffe was giving us, until his injury - damn!).

You aren’t the first person to name a KPD as a need and I tend to agree. I’m yet to see any viable options listed though
Just looking at the free agency list in afl.com.au:

Crows' Daniel Talia - but he's been injured much of 2021, so could be importing more injury issues
Geelong's Lachie Henderson - but is he almost past it at his age and injury concerns (although played 14 games this year)? And would he move states?
Suns' Jack Hombsch - we discarded him after 1 season, peaked at Power & on a downhill slide now, but he's likely move to stay on a list - just not that good
Hawk's Michael Hartley - originally from Sydney, he's a backup at the Hawks' so depends whether they'll discard him or can we offer more to be a backup?
Melbourne's Mitch Brown - a very average player, mainly forward - could we convert him if he's available?
North Melbourne's Josh Walker - he's a guy I would have picked up when he left Brisbane, main questions are whether Roos would release him & whether he'd swap states again
Saints' Oscar Clavarino Clavarino - the youngest of the lot, gown stale with unuse at St Kilda; is he just no good or ripe for a change of scenery?
Saints' Mason Wood - failed as a forward at North, little used at Saints, not one I'd go for, but could be desperate to stay on a list: can he defend though?
Saints' Darragh Joyce - not sure the Irishman is that good
Sydney's Kaiden Brand - already relegated to a backup role in Sydney, but perhaps could extend that role for us mainly to be paid to stay on a list

There would be more simply out of contract, and others we could cut free if the offer was good enough in $ and picks (but do we want to do either of those?).

Of the list above, I'd probably be prepared to try Oscar Clavarino, who might have some upside. Otherwise, Josh Walker would be the most credentialled, and Michael Hartley I'd be prepared to have. The rest are pretty so-so.

I’d like to wind back my enthusiasm for Rioli… not sure he makes us any better
Rioli was good on the weekend.
I’d like us to recruit more running types. A perfect type of player is Jordan Clarke. If it means we have to trade a stoppage mid then so be it. We need run and speed.
Give Geelong our second pick which will be a top 10 pick. He’s guaranteed game time as opposed to another year behind Isaac smith et al.

Rioli was good on the weekend.
I’d like us to recruit more running types. A perfect type of player is Jordan Clarke. If it means we have to trade a stoppage mid then so be it. We need run and speed.
Give Geelong our second pick which will be a top 10 pick. He’s guaranteed game time as opposed to another year behind Isaac smith et al.
Im a massive fan of Clarke from Geelong. He would play on a wing for us and instantly would make an impact.

That said... a top 10 pick for him is MASSIVE overs. The sticking point would be him agreeing to contract terms not geelong wanting a higher pick.

He is a late second rounder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't know that... My concern is of course he goes to WA as both clubs would probably chase him.
I'd heard rumours that was why he was on the outer, but only something like fifth hand.

Isn't there talk of training and attitude issues.

We definitely wouldn't need to use our second pick. to get him.
Attitude yes, a bit of disillusionment at being told he was in the best 22 plans and hasn't been looked at, although I don't know how his form is in the VFL

Ed Richards anyone?

I'd say no, because I don't think he fits a need any more - noting we have Josh Fahey coming in.
Im not sure they are the same player. I know Richards does play in the half back line but I think that mainly because theie midfield is stacked and he cant get a game on the wing. I just think his pace is exceptional and we could use that in our mix. TBH we are a hard team to recruit for atm as we still seem to have depth in most lines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back