Waltzing Woof Biscuit

All Australian
Mar 14, 2001
Melbourne, Victoria
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs!!!
Hi Doggies,

This excerpt from The West Australian, Oct. 6, is fairly interesting:

Daniel Bandy is almost certain to play for Western Bulldogs next year. The 25-year-old has made it known he wants to leave Fremantle and has listed Brisbane, the Bulldogs and the Kangaroos as his clubs of choice.

The Bulldogs are working with Fremantle and Melbourne in a three-way deal that would see Bandy move Whitten Oval, a Bulldog become a Demon and Fremantle receive a Melbourne player plus the Bulldogs"second round draft pick.

Bandy's manager, Angie Papadopoulos, said Bandy would love to wear the red, white and blue.

"We're interested because of the style of football the three clubs play and because of their coaches, because I don't think he's been coached right," he said.

"The Western Bulldogs have a number of games at Colonial Stadium and would play him in a way that he could run all day. They wouldn't have him sitting on the bench.

"And he would also be going to a club that is going to play finals, and that's exciting."

Apart from Bandy, the Bulldogs don't seem to be linked with any other player up for trade. Is it yet another case of 'All Quiet On The Western Front?"

Originally posted by Waltzing Woof Biscuit
Hi Doggies,

This excerpt from The West Australian, Oct. 6, is fairly interesting:

Daniel Bandy is almost certain to play for Western Bulldogs next year. The 25-year-old has made it known he wants to leave Fremantle and has listed Brisbane, the Bulldogs and the Kangaroos as his clubs of choice.

The Bulldogs are working with Fremantle and Melbourne in a three-way deal that would see Bandy move Whitten Oval, a Bulldog become a Demon and Fremantle receive a Melbourne player plus the Bulldogs"second round draft pick.

Bandy's manager, Angie Papadopoulos, said Bandy would love to wear the red, white and blue.

"We're interested because of the style of football the three clubs play and because of their coaches, because I don't think he's been coached right," he said.

"The Western Bulldogs have a number of games at Colonial Stadium and would play him in a way that he could run all day. They wouldn't have him sitting on the bench.

"And he would also be going to a club that is going to play finals, and that's exciting."

Apart from Bandy, the Bulldogs don't seem to be linked with any other player up for trade. Is it yet another case of 'All Quiet On The Western Front?"
I would say yes it is another case of all quiet on the western front and it is really starting to piss me off.:mad:

WWB,

I hope it is not a case of "All quite on the Western(Bulldog) front "as it did not work well last season.
We need a trade or two that will ignite the supporters to join up early and have an increased faith in the seaon ahead.
If we could land a player like Croad, without giving up too much,
I am sure the Doggie faithful would be very optimistic.
I know we have to give something to get something buy I would like to see some action soon.

Originally posted by Bulldog1954
Don't get to worried there are always heaps of trades that happen on the last couple of days of trading week
I realise this but the worrying thing is that we havent even been linked with anyone else.:(

Originally posted by LastCall
WWB,

I hope it is not a case of "All quite on the Western(Bulldog) front "as it did not work well last season.
We need a trade or two that will ignite the supporters to join up early and have an increased faith in the seaon ahead.
If we could land a player like Croad, without giving up too much,
I am sure the Doggie faithful would be very optimistic.
I know we have to give something to get something buy I would like to see some action soon.

Couldn't agree more LC. It is really depressing to hear big names being constantly associated with Sydney, Fremantle, Carlton - even Koo Wee Rup - but rarely if ever with the Bulldogs.

How is a crisis-stricken club like St. Kilda able to lure players, but not a team like ours? I had an argument with a Saints friend earlier in the year, who said that it was generally far more depressing to be a Saints supporter than a Doggie supporter (a bizarre argument to have, I grant you). Apart from the obvious fact that St Kilda have played in a grand final as recently as 1997, I said to him that I couldn't imagine in a month of Sundays my club being able to lure the likes of Hammil and Gehrig to the Whitten Oval. Again, St. Kilda is incredibly active in the trading period. Correct - they are losing Barry Hall, but have also recruited one of the finest young talents in the country in Heath Black. The day that I pick up the newspaper to read something like "Heath Black to be traded to the Dogs" is the day that I do a serious reality check.

I dunno, would most on this forum agree that our recent history in trading has been nothing short of appalling? IMO, we rank an easy 16th in this area. We seem to be only in contention for players that nobody else wants. If the Bulldogs are mentioned at all in connection with a good player, it seems a given that we will quickly drop out of the race the moment that another club shows an interest. It is in no small way a sad reflection of our financial position - yet there are other financially unstable Melbourne clubs with a small membership base who are still able to recruit boldly. And I am in no way convinced about our ability to receive adequate compensation for the players that we trade from our club. For example, one could argue that the 39th draft selection received for Leon Cameron was used to draft Mitch Hahn (from memory). However, a 39th pick is a 39th pick is a 39th pick. Who knows the quality of player to be drafted. A single third round draft choice from Richmond was, and will forever be, a laughable insult. A player of Leon's pedigree and experience - from a team that had played in three consecutive final series, to a team that had struggled to one finals appearance in 20 years. There was no doubt in my mind that Leon would slip into the top echelon of players at Richmond - a team that was quite bereft of depth of genuine class. And he did. Good luck to him, he's a great player. Well done Richmond - your recruiting staff should win an award.

I, and no doubt other Bulldogs, am sick to the eye teeth of getting screwed in the trading period (the news that Bandy is being secured by foregoing Ellis AND a second round draft pick does nothing to relieve that feeling). Supporters desperately need to feel excited about their team's prospects. If we are talking memberships, does anyone think that we wouldn't pull another 5000 members if we recruited someone like Croad? Unfortunately, supporters are that fickle (except for the diehard on the Bigfooty site, naturally). Drafting the kids is VERY important, bit I believe that we should at least be in the hunt for sought after recruits. Even the thought that we MAY be in with a show could brighten the lives of supporters!

I, and no doubt other Bulldogs, am sick to the eye teeth of getting screwed in the trading period (the news that Bandy is being secured by foregoing Ellis AND a second round draft pick does nothing to relieve that feeling). Supporters desperately need to feel excited about their team's prospects. If we are talking memberships, does anyone think that we wouldn't pull another 5000 members if we recruited someone like Croad? Unfortunately, supporters are that fickle (except for the diehard on the Bigfooty site, naturally). Drafting the kids is VERY important, bit I believe that we should at least be in the hunt for sought after recruits. Even the thought that we MAY be in with a show could brighten the lives of supporters!

Exactly......I was just at the family day and heard all the speeches from Granty to Smorgo and they all had the same messege....."The young kids have gotta step up and work with the more senior players & be excited" or something to that extent as I was perving on a nice brunnette :D :p please excuse me for that :D

I too get pissed off as we are all talk during trading at the start we say were after him him and him and then never end up with any of them :mad:

Im sure if the Saints can pick up Big Name players we could do if we tried.

Couldn't agree more LC. It is really depressing to hear big names being constantly associated with Sydney, Fremantle, Carlton - even Koo Wee Rup - but rarely if ever with the Bulldogs.

How is a crisis-stricken club like St. Kilda able to lure players, but not a team like ours? I had an argument with a Saints friend earlier in the year, who said that it was generally far more depressing to be a Saints supporter than a Doggie supporter (a bizarre argument to have, I grant you). Apart from the obvious fact that St Kilda have played in a grand final as recently as 1997, I said to him that I couldn't imagine in a month of Sundays my club being able to lure the likes of Hammil and Gehrig to the Whitten Oval. Again, St. Kilda is incredibly active in the trading period. Correct - they are losing Barry Hall, but have also recruited one of the finest young talents in the country in Heath Black. The day that I pick up the newspaper to read something like "Heath Black to be traded to the Dogs" is the day that I do a serious reality check.

I dunno, would most on this forum agree that our recent history in trading has been nothing short of appalling? IMO, we rank an easy 16th in this area. We seem to be only in contention for players that nobody else wants. If the Bulldogs are mentioned at all in connection with a good player, it seems a given that we will quickly drop out of the race the moment that another club shows an interest. It is in no small way a sad reflection of our financial position - yet there are other financially unstable Melbourne clubs with a small membership base who are still able to recruit boldly. And I am in no way convinced about our ability to receive adequate compensation for the players that we trade from our club. For example, one could argue that the 39th draft selection received for Leon Cameron was used to draft Mitch Hahn (from memory). However, a 39th pick is a 39th pick is a 39th pick. Who knows the quality of player to be drafted. A single third round draft choice from Richmond was, and will forever be, a laughable insult. A player of Leon's pedigree and experience - from a team that had played in three consecutive final series, to a team that had struggled to one finals appearance in 20 years. There was no doubt in my mind that Leon would slip into the top echelon of players at Richmond - a team that was quite bereft of depth of genuine class. And he did. Good luck to him, he's a great player. Well done Richmond - your recruiting staff should win an award.

It seems we only ever draft players that plough has a personal interest in(eagle,bart,robbins,garlick).I think the problem is that we are a very loyal club and grow to attached to our players and are not prepared to part with anyone of quality.:confused:

I dunno, would most on this forum agree that our recent history in trading has been nothing short of appalling? IMO, we rank an easy 16th in this area.

I am feeling very sick at this news of giving up a precious 2nd round pick in a draft of this calibre. I pray it isn't true. It is like committing football suicide. Ellis for Bandy is fair. But nothing else. It makes me so angry.

I just hope we have picked up a 2nd round pick from one of these clubs as well. If not we should let the club know of our extreme disappointment.

I can live with it if we can't get superstars. But I'm tired of getting these middle of the road types. Why Why Why? do we keep doing this? If we can't get the stars get the kids and this is supposed to be the type of draft to do it. Building up a team with excellent young players is the best way of heading toward premiership success.

We should be trading for more draft picks. Our supporters would warm to this and would enjoy watching their careers develop.

This far more enjoyable sitting watching 2nd raters imported from other clubs.:mad:

Originally posted by The Doctor

I am feeling very sick at this news of giving up a precious 2nd round pick in a draft of this calibre. I pray it isn't true. It is like committing football suicide. Ellis for Bandy is fair. But nothing else. It makes me so angry.

I just hope we have picked up a 2nd round pick from one of these clubs as well. If not we should let the club know of our extreme disappointment.

I can live with it if we can't get superstars. But I'm tired of getting these middle of the road types. Why Why Why? do we keep doing this? If we can't get the stars get the kids and this is supposed to be the type of draft to do it. Building up a team with excellent young players is the best way of heading toward premiership success.

We should be trading for more draft picks. Our supporters would warm to this and would enjoy watching their careers develop.

This far more enjoyable sitting watching 2nd raters imported from other clubs.:mad:
I think we should try and get a couple of first roun picks there are some good ready made players in there.Does anyone else think Freo and Stkilda are gona end up being some sort of superpowers with all these recruits and draft concessions for finishing near the bottom it is bound to happen.:mad:

Originally posted by dogboy23
I think we should try and get a couple of first roun picks there are some good ready made players in there.Does anyone else think Freo and Stkilda are gona end up being some sort of superpowers with all these recruits and draft concessions for finishing near the bottom it is bound to happen.:mad:

It's not going to be easy to trade into a position to get 1st round picks. We'd have to give up quality for that and we don't have it in abundance. But I would even be prepared to offload a few even to geta few extra 2nd and 3rd round picks. That would give us picks in the 20-40 range. It's better to have a few here than later on when all the talent is gone and you have to rely on pot luck.

The club has to make some hard decisions and shouldn't walk away from that.

I wonder if the club actually has any plan about building a premiership team?:confused: :confused:

It's not going to be easy to trade into a position to get 1st round picks. We'd have to give up quality for that and we don't have it in abundance. But I would even be prepared to offload a few even to geta few extra 2nd and 3rd round picks. That would give us picks in the 20-40 range. It's better to have a few here than later on when all the talent is gone and you have to rely on pot luck.

The club has to make some hard decisions and shouldn't walk away from that.

I wonder if the club actually has any plan about building a premiership team?:confused: :confused:
The club also has alot to answer to with regard to the treatment of there fans.The current official website is a joke and there has been no info from the club regarding trade week or some impending retirements.There handling of the Scott West situation has also been very poor.:mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club also has alot to answer to with regard to the treatment of there fans.The current official website is a joke and there has been no info from the club regarding trade week or some impending retirements.There handling of the Scott West situation has also been very poor.:mad:

I gotta admit that as far as the official message board goes, it'd be quicker for me to hop on a train and hand-deliver hand written notes to other posters. Who runs it, and have they given up on it?

I gotta admit that as far as the official message board goes, it'd be quicker for me to hop on a train and hand-deliver hand written notes to other posters. Who runs it, and have they given up on it?
Not sure of the name of the company that runs it but I know the hawks collingwood and a few other clubs are run by the same people.:confused:

that's absolutely correct Dogboy. No wonder the club is struggling to attract fans and membership. It's little things like not updating a bloody forum that drives fans away. Look at us, we're trading our views here rather than there. It's the same in many other areas.

Who's in charge of marketing and PR at the club?

I've been saying for ages that someone in a position of authority at the club has to come out and say which direction the club intends to head. Where is the leadership?

Armstrong is in charge of the football dept isn't he? What's he doing?

What are they doing about west? Is he staying or going? WHY can't someone come out and make it clear?

Now I'm just dreading to hear the following headline

"Bulldogs trade 1st round pick for Lane and Betheras":
mad: :mad:

that's absolutely correct Dogboy. No wonder the club is struggling to attract fans and membership. It's little things like not updating a bloody forum that drives fans away. Look at us, we're trading our views here rather than there. It's the same in many other areas.

Who's in charge of marketing and PR at the club?

I've been saying for ages that someone in a position of authority at the club has to come out and say which direction the club intends to head. Where is the leadership?

Armstrong is in charge of the football dept isn't he? What's he doing?

What are they doing about west? Is he staying or going? WHY can't someone come out and make it clear?

I LISTEN TO SPORT 927 IN THE MORNING AND I RECKON ALMOST EVERY CLUB HAS HAD A PERSON ON THERE TALKIN ABOUT TRADES except us.Somepne should tell the club about the current feelings of supporters because i have a terrible feeling we will not make 15,000 members next year.And another thing is we used to get posts from smorgo and patto occasionally on the official forum now we get nothing.:mad: :p :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I LISTEN TO SPORT 927 IN THE MORNING AND I RECKON ALMOST EVERY CLUB HAS HAD A PERSON ON THERE TALKIN ABOUT TRADES except us.Somepne should tell the club about the current feelings of supporters because i have a terrible feeling we will not make 15,000 members next year.And another thing is we used to get posts from smorgo and patto occasionally on the official forum now we get nothing.:mad: :p :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I really thought we had competant people in charge at the club. But early in this post season they are not giving me a good feeling that they really know what they are doing. We should give some benefit of the doubt because the trading period is not yet over and maybe there are some good deals to be finalised. However if they don't smarten up I think we should voice our opinions very loudly.

I really thought we had competant people in charge at the club. But early in this post season they are not giving me a good feeling that they really know what they are doing. We should give some benefit of the doubt because the trading period is not yet over and maybe there are some good deals to be finalised. However if they don't smarten up I think we should voice our opinions very loudly.
It could be that they have put a few high profile players up for trade and are staying quite so they do not end up in the same situation as Hawtorn and Trent Croad but the point is its not just trading there overall management in the last few weeks or months has been appalling.However i do think that David Smorgon is far and away the best man for job.;)

Hi Doggies,

I'd like to see that. :rolleyes:
Bandy should ask Eagleton about that before he commits himself.

The club also has alot to answer to with regard to the treatment of there fans.The current official website is a joke and there has been no info from the club regarding trade week or some impending retirements.There handling of the Scott West situation has also been very poor.

And they still expect us to hand over our membership money when they ask for it?

News just in:

Bulldog Trade Deals..

1. Draft selection no. 10 for Leon Cameron (Richmond)
2. Draft selection no. 26 for Brett Montgomery (Port Adelaide)
3. Draft selection no. 42 for Stephen Powell (Melbourne)
4. Draft selection no. 58 for Brad Wira (Fremantle)
5. Draft slection no. 74 and Daniel Giansiracusa for Tyson Lane (Collingwood)
6. Robert Murphy for Jim Plunkett (Carlton)

True I swear :D

It could be that they have put a few high profile players up for trade and are staying quite so they do not end up in the same situation as Hawtorn and Trent Croad but the point is its not just trading there overall management in the last few weeks or months has been appalling.However i do think that David Smorgon is far and away the best man for job.;)

It's not Smorgo I'm worried about. I'm concerned about the day to day management that seems to have slipped since Patto called it a day. The PR dept doesn't seem to be doing it's job properly. But Armstrong is the one I want to take to task. He's in charge of football and that includes players and coaches doesn't it?

It's not Smorgo I'm worried about. I'm concerned about the day to day management that seems to have slipped since Patto called it a day. The PR dept doesn't seem to be doing it's job properly. But Armstrong is the one I want to take to task. He's in charge of football and that includes players and coaches doesn't it?
It seems other clubs football managers are on the radio or telly almost everyday.WWB we would almost be a flag threat if those trades went through.:rolleyes:

Yer, Im really annoyed that we always seem to go so bad in the trading period as well. :(

Your saying you don't like the fact that we don't trade quality, but when we do, you all go up in arms about it! :) Also, just because we are only hearing about one possible trade, doesn't mean there aren't others. For example, maybe the club is keeping everything in house because they don't want to end up like Hawthorn and Tigers, all their players walking out, supporter up roar. For all we know, when this is all over, we may find out that they have traded off Johhno, and Bubba maybe even Browny, (god forbid any of those three! :( ) but we just don't know!

Let's hope that is happening, not with all the VERY good players, and maybe we do get some thing good this year. I know we don't like not hearing, but for the players, it is so much better. I think I'd prefer the supporters not knowing, then be Trent Croad right now!

Do any of you listen to 3AW on a monday night. Plough is on there every monday, and has said time and time again about the westy rumours and others, that they are false, and other things. Sure it's only 3AW, but they have a lot of listeners. We may want them to be out there, but as i said before, we are dealing with real ppl here, not things, we must remember the way they feel, and look at Hawthorn, we all think there stupid or something and they aren't going to get more members. Sure if we talk about and get the big names, then we may get members, but we may also lose a lot more then we gain. I'm sure the club has sat down and thought about it. We may feel left out, but for all we now, it may be for the greater good, and come out the other end of the worst time in footy, as the club that handled it the best, if not, then there is something wrong. Wait till it's all over before we say we didn't trade the right ppl or go for the right players,. But always remember we are dealing with real ppl, and we don't want them falling apart, not going anywhere, and being stuck with them! :)

Originally posted by murfs_chick
Yer, Im really annoyed that we always seem to go so bad in the trading period as well. :(

Your saying you don't like the fact that we don't trade quality, but when we do, you all go up in arms about it! :) Also, just because we are only hearing about one possible trade, doesn't mean there aren't others. For example, maybe the club is keeping everything in house because they don't want to end up like Hawthorn and Tigers, all their players walking out, supporter up roar. For all we know, when this is all over, we may find out that they have traded off Johhno, and Bubba maybe even Browny, (god forbid any of those three! :( ) but we just don't know!

Let's hope that is happening, not with all the VERY good players, and maybe we do get some thing good this year. I know we don't like not hearing, but for the players, it is so much better. I think I'd prefer the supporters not knowing, then be Trent Croad right now!

Do any of you listen to 3AW on a monday night. Plough is on there every monday, and has said time and time again about the westy rumours and others, that they are false, and other things. Sure it's only 3AW, but they have a lot of listeners. We may want them to be out there, but as i said before, we are dealing with real ppl here, not things, we must remember the way they feel, and look at Hawthorn, we all think there stupid or something and they aren't going to get more members. Sure if we talk about and get the big names, then we may get members, but we may also lose a lot more then we gain. I'm sure the club has sat down and thought about it. We may feel left out, but for all we now, it may be for the greater good, and come out the other end of the worst time in footy, as the club that handled it the best, if not, then there is something wrong. Wait till it's all over before we say we didn't trade the right ppl or go for the right players,. But always remember we are dealing with real ppl, and we don't want them falling apart, not going anywhere, and being stuck with them! :)
Bout time you switched to this forum mc.I wasnt saaying we should trade quality players just sayin that could be the reason we dont get many good players because we dont trade good players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back