List Mgmt. Trade Values

Remove this Banner Ad

bmac84

Debutant
Sep 4, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
So with Gov wanting out I've had a look at recent comparable trades to see what we can realistically expect to receive.

Below shows the trade value (based on the Draft Value Index) for all trades over the past 3 years where a player has been traded for picks only. Some multi team/player trades are included but only where the value can be isolated, eg. the Seedsman deal. I've also included the age of the player at the time (at the end of that year) plus their contractual status (as best as I could find so let me know if any are incorrect).

Where future picks are involved I have assumed the teams finish in the same position the following season.

I would argue Gov has at least as much value as Dixon, Henderson or Carlisle (prob the most comparable as key position players albeit 2 of those in defence) so we should be demanding at least pick 5 or 6 value. Whether that includes Carlton's #1 pick or a number of lower picks is the real question.

Stringer would be the most comparable however his value plummeted from his off field antics; prior to that would have been worth more given his AA nod.

upload_2018-8-29_18-39-7.png

Last edited:

Anywhere from pick 7 to 15 i feel. Depends on the priority pick carlton get. Most likely pick 8 to 10. Would trade pick 8-10 (say 10) plus our first (pick 7) to gold coast for pick 2. The other option is pick 7 and a player to gc for pick 2. Would also then trade melb first (say pick 11) and another player for pick 3. The other option is pick 11 plus next years first for pick 3. Could possibly throw in mackay to get it done.

nice work - this list makes me feel better about Hampton!

Aish and Dixon pick 6...lol

This shows that Reid did really well with the Lever trade. Let's hope he can do something similar this year. He's at least getting plenty of practice

Stringer was still under contract

Stringer:
Career highlights
McGovern:
(doesn't even have a Career Highlights section on his wikipedia page)
Agree he had a good resume, however when your club comes out and says they don't want you and you are going to be traded, you may as well be u contracted. The dogs did well to recover as much as they did for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schache was deplorable at Brisbane. His trade value increased greatly because he had re-signed a contract with Brisbane. Based on that trade Gov is worth pick 1 without anything going back in return.
Stringer was All Australian, 3 time leading goal scorer, premiership player, and one of the highest profile names in the league.

McGovern has more in common with Schache than Stringer at this point in his career. But will be 4 years older than Schache was when he was traded.

Stringer was All Australian, 3 time leading goal scorer, premiership player, and one of the highest profile names in the league.

McGovern has more in common with Schache than Stringer at this point in his career. But will be 4 years older than Schache was when he was traded.
What ?? If you think Gov is in anyway remotely similar to Schache you've got rocks in your head. Go and watch some replays of Lions games from last year. Schache was awful. Made Jenkins at his worst look like Wayne Carey.

And I dont know why you brought up Stringer again. The Bulldogs booted him out the door and didnt want anything more to do with him.

What ?? If you think Gov is in anyway remotely similar to Schache you've got rocks in your head. Go and watch some replays of Lions games from last year. Schache was awful. Made Jenkins at his worst look like Wayne Carey.

And I dont know why you brought up Stringer again. The Bulldogs booted him out the door and didnt want anything more to do with him.
I bring up Stringer because the debate is which trade is more of a guide - Stringer or Schache.

And the answer is Schache.

I'm not saying Schache and McGovern are like for like, but he has more in common with Schache than he does Stringer at this point in his career.

Say we get pick 10 for McGov and our current picks (8, 12, 20, 39, 69) (impossible to determine all the pick moves based on FA and compo, bids etc.)

Gives us 8, 10, 12, 20, 39, 69.

I'd then send 8, 10, 2019 1st + CEY / Hartigan to Gold Coast for 2+3.

Leaving us with 2, 3, 12, 20, 39, 69
2 - Jack Lukosius
3 - Izak Rankine
12 - Jackson Hately OR Connor Rozee if Hately is gone.
20 - Luke Valente
39 - Hugo Munn
69 - Lachie Murphy (upgrade.)

SA Bonanza :)

Yes I know.. will never happen.

Say we get pick 10 for McGov and our current picks (8, 12, 20, 39, 69) (impossible to determine all the pick moves based on FA and compo, bids etc.)

Gives us 8, 10, 12, 20, 39, 69.

I'd then send 8, 10, 2019 1st + CEY / Hartigan to Gold Coast for 2+3.

Leaving us with 2, 3, 12, 20, 39, 69
2 - Jack Lukosius
3 - Izak Rankine
12 - Jackson Hately OR Connor Rozee if Hately is gone.
20 - Luke Valente
39 - Hugo Munn
69 - Lachie Murphy (upgrade.)

SA Bonanza :)

Yes I know.. will never happen.
I looked at this trade. They get pick pick 8, 10 and our 2019 first which say we finish 6th would be 12. So pick 8, 10 and 12 along with cey and hartigan. They will baulk at cey. I think hartigan along with douglas and mackay and they will definitely accept. Gives them 3 players with experience which is what they need and 3 picks within the top 12 say which can be just as good as a top 3 pick if you pick the right players. What gc dont want is to pick 2 guns from SA that will leave in 2 years. It also takes 1.4 million cap space off our books. I like it.
Another option could be pick 8, 10 and b crouch. They needs mids, just a thought.

Last edited:
Imo Gov is worth between 10-15. His contract with 2 remaining years on it is the stumbling block. This essentially increases his value by 5 draft positions or adds another mid range pick onto a first rd pick.

Imo Gov is worth between 10-15. His contract with 2 remaining years on it is the stumbling block. This essentially increases his value by 5 draft positions or adds another mid range pick onto a first rd pick.
Player wants an extra 250k a yr or so.? The manager is between the clubs involved selling hard to line his pockets.
Clubs just think he’s a commodity,

Stringer was still under contract

Stringer:
Career highlights
McGovern:
(doesn't even have a Career Highlights section on his wikipedia page)
And too think, someone with all those accolades was still ceremoniously booted from their club...

That alone should tell you enough about the guy!

I bring up Stringer because the debate is which trade is more of a guide - Stringer or Schache.

And the answer is Schache.

I'm not saying Schache and McGovern are like for like, but he has more in common with Schache than he does Stringer at this point in his career.

upload_2018-9-3_20-42-30.png

McGovern should be worth the same or a little more than Dixon. Stats about the same and McGovern contracted where Dixon wasn’t. So a top 5 pick should be the aim

Remove this Banner Ad

Back