News Trade Week & DFA's Chat - Non Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

:oops::think:
In perhaps a sign the self-belief and confidence of overseas athletes is beginning to influence Australia’s emerging footballers, Phillipou was one of several prospects spoken to by foxfooty.com.au that indicated he’d take himself with the first selection.
“I think I‘d have to say myself, just because I think if you’re not going to back yourself, you probably don’t have the confidence required to play in the league,” he said.
“Whether I think I’m the best right now, I would probably say yes as well. But look at the end of the day, it‘s what clubs need and I might not be the best fit for a club. But if I had Pick 1, I’d definitely be taking myself.”

Yeah, nah...

North have delisted Kayne Turner despite him being in the leadership group last season and playing 17 games

One of the most bizarre leadership group calls I can remember. Fans of North would be celebrating in the streets at the news

That seems like a self-own from Phillipou. Going at pick 1 is a poison chalice. Not only do you get all the extra media scrutiny of being the top pick, you're also guaranteed to land at a basket case like North.

I guess the upside is that the sunk cost fallacy runs strongest in pick one. You could be pretty mediocre and end up having a fairly long career eg. Jack Watts.

Last edited:

North Melbourne shock cull with veteran mid Jed Anderson and team leader Kayne Turner among four delisted​

The AFL struggler has again let go of experienced players, including a former Hawk and a veteran swingman.

AFL struggler North Melbourne has made the the surprising call to delist veteran midfielder Jed Anderson, along with Atu Bosenavulagi, team leader Kayne Turner and experienced swingman Josh Walker.

Anderson, 28, has been told that he will not be offered a contract for the 2023 season.

Benny Hill WTF.gif

Talk about List Management fails .....just 2 years ago, NORTH traded Atu Bosenavulagi from COLL

Uncertainty about when and if a Tasmanian team enters the AFL is an “elephant in the room” contributing to the trend of long-term contracts, according to a prominent player agent.

More than 55 footballers across the men’s competition are believed to be on deals of at least five years, as players seek extra security and clubs look to tie down their stars.
Twenty-three – Harry McKay, Clayton Oliver (2030), Charlie Curnow, Jacob Hopper, Luke Jackson, Callum Mills, Christian Petracca, Tim Taranto (2029), Angus Brayshaw, Josh Dunkley, Isaac Heeney, Jason Horne-Francis, Darcy Moore, Tom Papley (2028), Heath Chapman, Bailey Dale, Dan Houston, Jack Macrae, Rowan Marshall, Tom McCartin, Daniel Rioli, Jayden Short and James Sicily (2027) – inked lengthy extensions in 2022.

Player Managers contacted by News Corp outlined a variety of factors for the shift towards longer deals, including:

■ Clubs “trying to protect their stock” ahead of free agency;

■ Teams wanting more power at the trade table;

■ Being able to trade contracted players more easily ensures less risk for clubs;

■ Clubs seeing it as a way to lure players;

■ Stars preferring financial assurity over shorter deals on more money and;

■ More cash coming into clubs’ disposal because of the new TV rights deal

I call BS .....it's instigated by Player Managers, not Clubs .....Contracts only favour Players UNTIL Clubs have an ability to trade Contracted Players

The Grundy Deal .....COLL will be paying $300K a year for how long ? .....they are / will be a blight on Clubs

North Melbourne shock cull with veteran mid Jed Anderson and team leader Kayne Turner among four delisted​

The AFL struggler has again let go of experienced players, including a former Hawk and a veteran swingman.

AFL struggler North Melbourne has made the the surprising call to delist veteran midfielder Jed Anderson, along with Atu Bosenavulagi, team leader Kayne Turner and experienced swingman Josh Walker.

Anderson, 28, has been told that he will not be offered a contract for the 2023 season.

View attachment 1538217

Not sure why the shock. Anderson is pretty average

Not sure why the shock. Anderson is pretty average
The data doesn't support this POV in season 2022 ......does it have anything to do with the Anderson / Clarkson relationship at HAW ?

Uncertainty about when and if a Tasmanian team enters the AFL is an “elephant in the room” contributing to the trend of long-term contracts, according to a prominent player agent.

More than 55 footballers across the men’s competition are believed to be on deals of at least five years, as players seek extra security and clubs look to tie down their stars.
Twenty-three – Harry McKay, Clayton Oliver (2030), Charlie Curnow, Jacob Hopper, Luke Jackson, Callum Mills, Christian Petracca, Tim Taranto (2029), Angus Brayshaw, Josh Dunkley, Isaac Heeney, Jason Horne-Francis, Darcy Moore, Tom Papley (2028), Heath Chapman, Bailey Dale, Dan Houston, Jack Macrae, Rowan Marshall, Tom McCartin, Daniel Rioli, Jayden Short and James Sicily (2027) – inked lengthy extensions in 2022.

Player Managers contacted by News Corp outlined a variety of factors for the shift towards longer deals, including:

■ Clubs “trying to protect their stock” ahead of free agency;

■ Teams wanting more power at the trade table;

■ Being able to trade contracted players more easily ensures less risk for clubs;

■ Clubs seeing it as a way to lure players;

■ Stars preferring financial assurity over shorter deals on more money and;

■ More cash coming into clubs’ disposal because of the new TV rights deal

I call BS .....it's instigated by Player Managers, not Clubs .....Contracts only favour Players UNTIL Clubs have an ability to trade Contracted Players

The Grundy Deal .....COLL will be paying $300K a year for how long ? .....they are / will be a blight on Clubs
I think they should be able to pick up Jones now in an ambassadorial role and give us a first rd compo

The data doesn't support this POV in season 2022 ......does it have anything to do with the Anderson / Clarkson relationship at HAW ?

Worse stats than Matt Crouch who couldn't get a game for us. Not sure why you'd play him in North's rebuild especially when they're getting two top end mids at the draft.

I'm sure the Clarkson relationship wouldn't help but I would have delisted him regardless

... but best 22 for Kangaroos.

They have plenty worse on their list imo.

He'd be behind Davies-Uniacke, Simpkin, Cunnington, Powell, Phillips and two top 5 picks this year without factoring in guys like Greenwood, Tucker and Goater

Basically surplus to their needs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'd be behind Davies-Uniacke, Simpkin, Cunnington, Powell, Phillips and two top 5 picks this year without factoring in guys like Greenwood, Tucker and Goater

Basically surplus to their needs
I think he slides in as the 4th on that list. Still better than Powell, Philips and Tucker....Greenwood was mostly unsighted this year and Goater would be last on the list.

Thomas was omitted, and is one of their top 3 when fit.

I think he slides in as the 4th on that list. Still better than Powell, Philips and Tucker....Greenwood was mostly unsighted this year and Goater would be last on the list.

Thomas was omitted, and is one of their top 3 when fit.
Forgot about Tarryn

Even though he might be better than a Powell or Phillips right now those are the guys you have to play in a rebuild, not a 5th string 28 year old who wouldn't be in the starting center bounce

I don't get it with some players ......Bytel is a good young player, had multiple Clubs interested in signing him ....so what does he do, signs with St Kilda for just 12 months ......dumb !

View attachment 1538615
One dimensional but, don't think he's ever developed his outside game to any great degree which was the hope with him because he always had the inside/contested game down pat.

One dimensional but, don't think he's ever developed his outside game to any great degree which was the hope with him because he always had the inside/contested game down pat.
Bytel has had a pretty poor run with injuries .....lost his first AFL year with the bad back, he was drafted already having

Still ....multiple Club interest is normally a good sign

Brisbane's delisted big bodied midfielder Ely Smith has signed for the Panthers in season 2023...
south going big again with him, sproule and mutch. are broadbent and gibbs staying on?

see that luke bogle is probably coming to us at westies. heard a couple of other south players might be coming too. back to the good old cupido swapsies days between the south and west of adelaide

south going big again with him, sproule and mutch. are broadbent and gibbs staying on?

see that luke bogle is probably coming to us at westies. heard a couple of other south players might be coming too. back to the good old cupido swapsies days between the south and west of adelaide
Does it really matter when The Legs are going back to back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back