Bumped Trade Week - Evaluating each club's trades

Remove this Banner Ad

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Looked at the article about Port's trades during the week - SEN suggesting they can finish top 4 now - and started thinking about how our stack up comparatively.

Then thought this could make a decent discussion thread. I'm not that knowledgeable so I'm looking forward to the insights of others.

I'll start by saying that I envy Port landing Rockliff, though I wasn't keen on him, I thought we needed midfield strength. That said, Stringer + Smith > Watts + Motlop everyday.

Norf's trade week:
6Wdd7WO.jpg

It’s an interesting comparison between us and Port. We both brought in 3 players who will be best 22 come round 1. Port traded out a lot of depth but didn’t bring picks back in to rebuild that depth.

I’d say that Port really must believe they’re in the premiership window over the next 2 years. They must also have faith in last year’s draft crop, which admittedly does look pretty good at this point.

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
I thought Adelaide did very well. They remain a threat for the premiership and have the opportunity to build their list for the future too.

They look very strong for the 2018 draft:
2 1st rounders
An early 2nd rounder (Carlton)
An early 3rd rounder (Carlton)
An earlier 4th rounder (Melbourne)

For a team who lost players, they did well.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s an interesting comparison between us and Port. We both brought in 3 players who will be best 22 come round 1. Port traded out a lot of depth but didn’t bring picks back in to rebuild that depth.

I’d say that Port really must believe they’re in the premiership window over the next 2 years. They must also have faith in last year’s draft crop, which admittedly does look pretty good at this point.
Agree. Powell-Pepper will be a beast.
I agree re: their depth as well. If each of those three had played in the final against WC I'm not sure they would have gotten over the line, except may be for Rockliff.

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Agree. Powell-Pepper will be a beast.
I agree re: their depth as well. If each of those three had played in the final against WC I'm not sure they would have gotten over the line, except may be for Rockliff.
Port has been able to trade out picks for a long time because they have not faced the worry of important retirements for a long time. Even now their oldest key players (Boak, Gray and Ryder) will only be turning 30 next year.

They will be a very interesting team to watch on draft day. They have five draft picks between pick 40 and pick 70. Will they pick up some mature age players to really target the window?

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought Adelaide did very well. They remain a threat for the premiership and have the opportunity to build their list for the future too.

They look very strong for the 2018 draft:
2 1st rounders
An early 2nd rounder (Carlton)
An early 3rd rounder (Carlton)
An earlier 4th rounder (Melbourne)

For a team who lost players, they did well.
I got the impression they took the mantle of hardest to deal with. Their arrogance over Charlie Cameron, thinking Zorko was an equitable choice, was amazing. Two 1st round picks for 2018 is decent though.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon

Bomberbuzz1

All Australian
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Im amazed with some clubs that didn't make enough outgoing trades. I don't understand North, if they bit the bullet this year and last and brought in as many kids and draft picks by trading out anyone of value they could challenge properly and sooner.
West coast are kind of the same but they could of turned it the other way and used there picks to bolster up there team for the now.
Hawthorn could have moved more of there older players on aswell as they have over half a dozen starting 22 looking at retirement within 3 years. They must think they can challenge this year.
A team like st kilda and or Richmond would of benefited from one of these teams moving on their big names and would have been a win win for all parties involved.

I guess the unknown that has a bit of influence is salary cap. Teams like Richmond, Sydney, GWS and Collingwood may have had better trade periods if was not for salary cap pressures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I am not sold on Port's moves.

Rockliff was a great get.

Motlop and Watts though are inconsistent and will shine in their wins and go missing when they lose. They allready have a few players like that.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
I am not sold on Port's moves.

Rockliff was a great get.

Motlop and Watts though are inconsistent and will shine in their wins and go missing when they lose. They allready have a few players like that.

Quoted for correctness. However, it should have been obvious to everyone. When you're a bunch of front-runners, it is hard to understand trading for Motlop and Watts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back