News Trade Week & DFA's Chat - Non Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand why clubs do this. You've got a player you don't rate and you go and waste a rookie pick to keep him in the side as depth.
He's under contract for another year. Brissy are just making extra free main list spots so they can take more picks to the draft to match Ashcroft and Fletcher.

He's under contract for another year. Brissy are just making extra free main list spots so they can take more picks to the draft to match Ashcroft and Fletcher.
Cheers for the heads up. I didn't realise he was still contracted. I was thinking this was another Ben Davis scenario.

DELISTED free agents will have two windows and a total of 12 days to move ahead of the NAB AFL Draft if they can secure a contract from a new club.

The first delisted free agency period runs for seven days from November 3-9.

That window is followed by a deadline on November 10 for players to retire and out-of-contract players to nominate for the draft, with a second window for delisted free agents then running from November 11-15.

Players who have been delisted by their clubs have the freedom to join any rival that offers them a contract during these two periods, avoiding the need to enter the draft.

Among the delisted free agents who could seek new homes are former North Melbourne midfielder Jed Anderson, ex-Port Adelaide speedster Martin Frederick, and Quinton Narkle, who has garnered interest since being delisted by Geelong.

Delisted players cannot immediately be re-contracted by their clubs on rookie contracts as has happened previously and must instead go through the NAB AFL Rookie Draft on November 30 to achieve this.

Another key date on the trade and draft calendar is October 17-November 15, which is the window for clubs to trade draft picks, which is now open.

The first round of the NAB AFL Draft is then held on November 28, including father-son and Academy bidding.

Following the draft, clubs have a one-hour window to sign delisted free agents who have not been selected by a new club at the draft.

It is common for clubs to wait and see what their list looks like after the draft – both in terms of vacant list spots and the type of needs they have filled – before committing to a delisted free agent.

The NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft and NAB AFL Rookie Draft are then held on November 30, with final list lodgements due by 4pm AEDT on December 1.

The first delisted free agency period runs for seven days from November 3-9.

That window is followed by a deadline on November 10 for players to retire and out-of-contract players to nominate for the draft, with a second window for delisted free agents then running from November 11-15.

Players who have been delisted by their clubs have the freedom to join any rival that offers them a contract during these two periods, avoiding the need to enter the draft.

Delisted players cannot immediately be re-contracted by their clubs on rookie contracts as has happened previously and must instead go through the NAB AFL Rookie Draft on November 30 to achieve this.

Following the draft, clubs have a one-hour window to sign delisted free agents who have not been selected by a new club at the draft.
So if we want to draft more than Max we will have to delist some players in the next few days? (and its not like we thought it was where we could do list swapping after the draft)/.

So if we want to draft more than Max we will have to delist some players in the next few days? (and its not like we thought it was where we could do list swapping after the draft)/.
Kind of.

We have three list spots, and two folks that need to be upgraded but not until AFTER the main draft.

The question that still seems unclear to me - there is a lot of info about when you can SIGN DFAs, but are there any deadlines for making players a DFA?

Can we delist Seedsman post AFL main draft, and then re-sign him as a DFA?

Or do we have to delist him before the main draft to keep our options open?

Gonna make it onto a list again?

Is my memory correct in thinking RCD was one of the players who made it fairly well known that he didn't want to leave Victoria, which contributed to him sliding to Richmond at pick 20?

If so, him being on the scrap head and pitching all clubs for another gig 4 years later feels like a bit of poetic justice.

Don't get me wrong, I hope for his sake he gets another go, i've just never liked stories of draftees attempting to blatantly manipulate the draft for their own agenda.

Is my memory correct in thinking RCD was one of the players who made it fairly well known that he didn't want to leave Victoria, which contributed to him sliding to Richmond at pick 20?

If so, him being on the scrap head and pitching all clubs for another gig 4 years later feels like a bit of poetic justice.

Don't get me wrong, I hope for his sake he gets another go, i've just never liked stories of draftees attempting to blatantly manipulate the draft for their own agenda.
Never heard that but there were questions at the time about his family set up.....2 mothers etc which maybe fed into that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back