YelloMit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
As the title says, name former Fremantle players who got traded to another club that you really missed when they left and/or wished they never got traded. They don't have to be the best players ever, they can be personal favourites of yours. They can also be players who became free agents who decided to not come back to Freo.

For me personally, I hated it when Daniel Bandy went to the Bulldogs. He was one of my favourite players and I felt like he was starting to really show his best. He was roughly 27 when he was traded, which is prime for a ruck/KPP.

This! Very much this.

And clement.

After that I mostly miss that we didn't see clem grow and enjoy Longmuir for longer. Add more to that list. Those hurt as much or more.
Oh Clem... [INSERT SAD FACE EMOJI]

Disagree we got mcpharlin and he was well worth the #1 pick.
He was indeed, but he was also available for us for nothing via PSD so Hawthorn were always going to make a favourable trade for the injury plagued, untested MacPharlin.

Our trading in those days was "enthusiastic" when it should have been "ruthless".

I could not believe Clement was under-utilised, then traded for next to nix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tarrant.

Not a personal favourite necessarily but came pretty damn good for us as a key back. Turned his career around only for him to head back to "Collingworth" at first chance. Nearly got himself a flag in the end so can hardly begrudge the guy but he would have been good to hold on to, particularly in 2012.

Just double checked the deal, yep we got absolutely robbed too.

On 11 October 2010, the final day of the trade period, Tarrant returned to Collingwood in a trade that saw him and pick 44 traded to Collingwood for picks 43 and 55.
o_O:mad:

EDIT: *Nearly
Wrongly attributed him a flag. :$

Last edited:
James Clement was certainly one of the first, for me - a fantastic player (remember that epic rundown of a Geelong player on the wing at Subi?) who was unfairly treated.

The decisions to let Heath Black go in 2001, and then axe Leigh Brown and Adam McPhee at the end of 2002, were also boneheaded. Instead of a whole coterie of Hasleby, Pavlich, Brown, McPhee, Longmuir and Sandilands coming through together, Schwab and Connolly then found themselves having to desperately import players to fill out the list and basically start all over again with the likes of Mundy, Crowley, Johnson, Dodd, Duffield and Ibbotson.

Medhurst was not the same player in 2006 as he was for his first four seasons, so I had little angst at seeing the Michelin Man version of him playing at Collingwood. Ditto Rhys Palmer, who has never looked like the player of 2008 since he did his knee in 2009...and Greg Broughton, who you would never pick these days as being AA quality, which he was under Harvey.

Roberton is probably the best latter day player who I miss, given his success at establishing himself at St Kilda - but it is a tribute to how good we have become at player retention that there have been no obvious howlers for almost a decade now...

For right now it would be Roberton. Would be the closest thing we have to a Johnno replacement.

Overall probably the first McPhee trade. He was one of the bright spots in 2001 for me personally.

Tarrant.

Not a personal favourite necessarily but came pretty damn good for us as a key back. Turned his career around only for him to head back to "Collingworth" at first chance. Got himself a flag in the end so can hardly begrudge the guy but he would have been good to hold on to, particularly in 2012.

Just double checked the deal, yep we got absolutely robbed too.

o_O:mad:
Didn't he get there a year late and miss out on a flag?

Didn't he get there a year late and miss out on a flag?
Yep true. For some reason always had it in my mind that he got one. Whoops :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back