Impey
Ah Chee
Young
Austin

Polec
Pittard
Wingard
Hombsch

Apart from Wingard's ability to kick goals when fit, I'm not missing any of these players.

Would have Polec over Motlop in the 22 anyday of the week.

Would have Polec over Motlop in the 22 anyday of the week.
I guess I was thinking Polec v Duursma on the wing. Yeah they both have some big weaknesses as well as weapons but Polec is a hell of a lot more consistent than Motlop.

With the less established playerd, the last few years you've thought at the time, "I dunno, I rekon he could come good"

But then they've gone to another club and done SFA.

Ben Newton
Andrew Moore
Brandon AhChee

With the less established playerd, the last few years you've thought at the time, "I dunno, I rekon he could come good"

Ben Newton
Andrew Moore
Brandon AhChee

I'm going to maintain that Brendon Ah Chee will come good in the right environment until it's absolutely 100% proven otherwise.

His problem was that he went to West Coast for 'more opportunity' just as they surprised everyone by going from bottom 4 fancy to premiers. If he'd gone across town to Freo instead or was playing with his brother at the GC I reckon he'd be a regular. He has too much talent not to make it somewhere.

I'm going to maintain that Brendon Ah Chee will come good in the right environment until it's absolutely 100% proven otherwise.

His problem was that he went to West Coast for 'more opportunity' just as they surprised everyone by going from bottom 4 fancy to premiers. If he'd gone across town to Freo instead or was playing with his brother at the GC I reckon he'd be a regular. He has too much talent not to make it somewhere.
He's 26 at the end of the year, he better request a trade quickly.

Dont think he will get another chance but.

Ben Newton
Andrew Moore
Brandon AhChee

Adam Thomson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to players traded out in their twilight, I thought Cornes would have been a bit stronger at GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When it comes to players traded out in their twilight, I thought Cornes would have been a bit stronger at GWS.

He was banged up. Bad knee and that bloody spiral finger fracture injury meant 1 year and not a full one was always going to be the case.

It is also frustrating sometimes when people equate criticism of a trade with criticism of a player (not saying anyone recently has been doing this but I've seen it equated before).

I'm super happy we have BZT and Esava and I can't wait to see them thrive. I'm behind them both 100%. That doesn't change the fact that the trades that got them in were either horrifically incompetent or treasonous (moreso for Esava than BZT). We should have gotten them both without giving up a first rounder in a non contract year, and doing so has created negativity before people even look at what they can bring to the table.

It is also frustrating sometimes when people equate criticism of a trade with criticism of a player (not saying anyone recently has been doing this but I've seen it equated before).

I'm super happy we have BZT and Esava and I can't wait to see them thrive. I'm behind them both 100%. That doesn't change the fact that the trades that got them in were either horrifically incompetent or treasonous (moreso for Esava than BZT). We should have gotten them both without giving up a first rounder in a non contract year, and doing so has created negativity before people even look at what they can bring to the table.

"Horrifically incompetent" and "Treasonous" is BigFooty hyperbole.

The pick we traded to Geelong for Esava blew out to 32, not a great loss. We were never going to use the end of draft picks. And yes we traded a future first round pick, but that also secured a future second round pick from Freo in the trade, which was the cornerstone of the Soldo trade. So for the future first round pick and change we picked up Esava and Soldo.

We turned the Duursma trade into BZT and two third rounders in the 2023 draft (Anastasopoulos and Charleson) so that turned out alright.

Chris Davies said all along not to judge trade/draft until it is all done, because there are so many moving parts across this period these days. He has also said they are not too fussed about trading out future picks because you can trade them in the next year.

I'm comfortable with the recruits and what we spent to get them.

We turned the Duursma trade into BZT and two third rounders in the 2023 draft (Anastasopoulos and Charleson) so that turned out alright.
It is a long road but this could be our best piece of business in the off season.

Bloody hell, I've got the double thumb's down tick of approval. :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
"Horrifically incompetent" and "Treasonous" is BigFooty hyperbole.

The pick we traded to Geelong for Esava blew out to 32, not a great loss. We were never going to use the end of draft picks. And yes we traded a future first round pick, but that also secured a future second round pick from Freo in the trade, which was the cornerstone of the Soldo trade. So for the future first round pick and change we picked up Esava and Soldo.

Chris Davies said all along not to judge trade/draft until it is all done, because there are so many moving parts across this period these days. He has also said they are not too fussed about trading out future picks because you can trade them in the next year.

I'm comfortable with the recruits and what we spent to get them.
Ok let's re-visit in a couple of years then. I think it will take a lot of luck for it not to be monumentally awful.

Ok let's re-visit in a couple of years then. I think it will take a lot of luck for it not to be monumentally awful.

Ha, I'll have made good my escape by then! :p

So for the future first round pick and change we picked up Esava and Soldo.
This is still terrible. A first round pick (never mind the change) for two guys in their mid to late 20's who were borderline best 22 at their current clubs.
No it didn't. Considering what we paid for Duursma (and worse, what we paid to get the pick we drafted Duursma with), also terrible.

The net result of the trade return on the most promising young star to walk through our doors since Warren Tredrea, and who was contracted at the time of the trade to boot, was fringe player Ryan Burton, reverse Coleman winner BZT, and a couple of third rounders in a weak draft. If somebody had told you that in 2013, you'd have had them committed.

Last edited:
This is still terrible. A first round pick (never mind the change) for two guys in their mid to late 20's who were borderline best 22 at their current clubs.

No it didn't. Considering what we paid for Duursma (and worse, what we paid to get the pick we drafted Duursma with), also terrible.

The net result of the trade return on the most promising young star to walk through our doors since Warren Tredrea, and who was contracted to boot, was fringe player Ryan Burton, reverse Coleman winner BZT, and a couple of third rounders in a weak draft. If somebody had told you that in 2013, you'd have had them committed.

Yeah but you're never happy.

Cheer Up Hug GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back