Analysis Trades that didn't work out for the player

Remove this Banner Ad

If there’s one thing that stands out to me, it is that players shouldn’t chase more playing time or a bigger role elsewhere

So many guys have come into Carlton in the last few years on that premise. Fact is though, if you are a fringe player in a top or middle rung team, you are still a fringe AFL standard player in a bottom team. In fact, your deficiencies are going to stand out more because the team has less experienced vets to cover you, and losing just puts a spotlight on things. And the team is rebuilding and ready to hand your spot to a kid who might improve...

Take Alex Fasolo. Not playing at Collingwood because others competing for his spot were better at defensive pressure, fitter, and in better form. Comes to Carlton, rather than working hard to get better. But in a shite team, there’s more turnovers and long bombs inside 50. Small forwards spend more time defending and running defensively, and god it’s hard to find form as a forward in a struggling team - no Joe the Gooses to get you going, no blowout wins to jag a late one, etc. Fasolo has looked even worse, and then you lose and become a scapegoat.

Definite lesson - if you a fringe player, stat where you are and fight your way in, or try to find a better team who wants you for a specific role. Don’t chase the easy option at the bottom because it won’t work

I feel like Tom Boyd was somewhat unfortunate hyped to the absolute buggery coming into system I remember some of his junior games thought he was a sure thing. Then getting traded in a mega deal as the dogs saviour.

Poor bloke has had unreal expectations on his shoulders since about 16 no wonder why he’s quit

Ryan Griffen, injuries got the better of him at GWS.
Malcheski (spelling?) heading north from the swans didn't seem to work for him either
Alan Jackovich to the bulldogs was a disaster

I can think of a few dud FA deals but from a trade point of view the Gibbs one takes the cake in recent times for his sheer cost, though there's clearly more to his story behind the scenes.

Others are often just bit players who were token swaps so nothing lost really....

Jason Ball immediately jumps to my mind, he went to Sydney - and won a premiership (not many have done that with two clubs) against the same club he won a premiership with.

True but that trade was 20 years ago. I was only thinking current/recently retired players.

Jarrad Schofield leaving for Port was a successful move. Played twice as many games in just as many years and featured in the 2004 flag. Dean Laidley also forged a good career with North and played in the 1996 flag. Not sure if you'd call Mitch Morton a success story. Played 50 odd games for Richmond after barely getting a run with us, then ended up as a last minute premiership player with the Swans. He was pretty important in the 2012 finals after no featuring at all until Rd 21 and Rd 22 where he played a couple of nothing games as a sub. Had 14 touches and kicked 2 in a low scoring QF against the Crows then kicked 2 in the GF. Funny career. Did nothing at WC, his best footy was in an ordinary Richmond side and then did nothing at Sydney except for play an important role in a finals tilt.

Gary Ablett jnr.

I’m sure Geelong could have worked overtime to find Gary sponsorships in Victoria to make up the difference in pay Gold Coast we’re offering.

Not only did Ablett waste several years of his prime for a team with no premiership ambitions, but he developed the image of being a slightly crazy religious bloke who isolated himself from teammates and slacked off at the end of his contract to force a trade home.

If interviewed one day he would probably trot out the “no regrets” line but his Gold Coast stint was a massive mistake.

Gary Ablett jnr.

I’m sure Geelong could have worked overtime to find Gary sponsorships in Victoria to make up the difference in pay Gold Coast we’re offering.

Not only did Ablett waste several years of his prime for a team with no premiership ambitions, but he developed the image of being a slightly crazy religious bloke who isolated himself from teammates and slacked off at the end of his contract to force a trade home.

If interviewed one day he would probably trot out the “no regrets” line but his Gold Coast stint was a massive mistake.

No, we really couldn't match the cash from the Suns, remember that this was a list with two flags and about half the side were All Australians. IIRC they offered twice what we could offer.

Also, yes he did waste years up there but he actually became a better player at the Suns, improved his overall game (because he had to) in a way he probably would not have done if he stayed at Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, we really couldn't match the cash from the Suns, remember that this was a list with two flags and about half the side were All Australians. IIRC they offered twice what we could offer.

Also, yes he did waste years up there but he actually became a better player at the Suns, improved his overall game (because he had to) in a way he probably would not have done if he stayed at Geelong.
Hence the sponsorships part of my post. Judd was able to get himself a nice Visy deal and Geelong should have been working overtime to find GAJ something similar.

From what i remember Dean Gore was highly rated at Geelong. Crows demanded he was included in the Dangerfield deal, never got a sniff at Adelaide and was out of the league and I believe ended up back playing VFL football in Geelong.

Troy Menzel another that it didnt seem to go to plan. Although i didnt follow him too closely when i watched him at Carlton he looked like he would become a star of the comp, i was amazed when he was traded to Adelaide for Sam Kerridge. In the end Carlton probably got the better of that deal in the end as they got at least a few serviceable games out of the Kedge whilst it seems Adelaide couldnt wait to get Menzel off the list.

In a roundabout way the Ryder to Port trade didnt work out for poor Matt Lobbe. Was in Ports leadership group in 2014 and was in AA discussion. 2015 Ryder comes along and it becomes clear to most early on (not kenny mind you) that Ryder and Lobbe cant play in the same team together. Lobbe is shipped off at end of 2015 and has barely played for Carlton since then. Of course Ryder then misses the 2016 season due to suspension and Port have 0 recognised ruckmen on their list.

Jarrad Schofield to Freo i dont think went that well (not sure if that was a trade though). Was a key member of the 22 that won the premiership in 2004 Port and then returned home, i dont actually recall anything of him at Freo.

Troy Menzel another that it didnt seem to go to plan. Although i didnt follow him too closely when i watched him at Carlton he looked like he would become a star of the comp, i was amazed when he was traded to Adelaide for Sam Kerridge.
No Troy Menzel was always a spud. Classic case of picking a younger brother in the hope that he's like the older brother.

In a roundabout way the Ryder to Port trade didnt work out for poor Matt Lobbe. Was in Ports leadership group in 2014 and was in AA discussion. 2015 Ryder comes along and it becomes clear to most early on (not kenny mind you) that Ryder and Lobbe cant play in the same team together. Lobbe is shipped off at end of 2015 and has barely played for Carlton since then. Of course Ryder then misses the 2016 season due to suspension and Port have 0 recognised ruckmen on their list.
Lobbe wasn't traded until the end of 2017. He did his knee in a SANFL game in 2016 and missed most of the season. Billy Frampton also missed most of the year due to injury. That is why Jackson Trengove spent the year in the ruck. Lobbe then spent 2017 as the most expensive SANFL player in history.

Matt Spangher ended up doing alright for himself.

Fringe defender in an inexperienced West Coast side. Went to Sydney where he was a brake glass in case of emergency backup. Then went to Hawthorn and managed to cement his spot in 2014 and get a premiership medal for his trouble.

a trade that didn't work out was Jeff Hogg to Fitzroy and from memory we got Paul Broderick Michael Gale and Matthew Dundas.....certainly didn't work out for Hoggy or Fitzroy.....

Nah. It's a success. They've had a massive increase in memberships off the back of that one.

Not really a trade anyway.
Correct but for the player? Depends on Buddy’s motives. If it was for money then it was always going to be a success. If it was to avoid the Melbourne media attention then probably not so good, and if it was to achieve premierships then a monumental failure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back