Analysis Trades that didn't work out for the player

Remove this Banner Ad

Lingy was going to be a plumber but had to settle as an AFL footballer instead.

Not really as it seems though as plumbers charge/make more than AFL players and medical GP's.

Going back a little but:

Corey McKernan - joined Carlton to get away from Dennis Pagan, only to be joined by him a year or so later.

Matt Kennedy- left GWS for Carlton as Setterfield effectively took his inside midfielder role, and then Setterfield followed him to Carlton.

Been plenty over the years, such is the nature of trading.

One that jumps to mind re the change of clubs being the catalyst is Jade Rawlings - famously got railroaded into joining the Dogs...and it pretty much wrecked his career.
And now hes just left us for the team that railroaded him

Going back a little but:

Corey McKernan - joined Carlton to get away from Dennis Pagan, only to be joined by him a year or so later.

Matt Kennedy- left GWS for Carlton as Setterfield effectively took his inside midfielder role, and then Setterfield followed him to Carlton.

Didn’t Setterfield play 2 games for GWS?

I feel like Tom Boyd was somewhat unfortunate hyped to the absolute buggery coming into system I remember some of his junior games thought he was a sure thing. Then getting traded in a mega deal as the dogs saviour.

Poor bloke has had unreal expectations on his shoulders since about 16 no wonder why he’s quit
The guy won a flag and earned a mill a year for 4 years. He achieved and earned more than most players do in their career, and is probably immortalised more than many players given he was a huge part of a clubs second flag and is the central figure in probably the iconic photo from the game.

He has plenty to be proud of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any player who leaves a club and their ex-club wins a premiership soon after top this list.

Buddy especially...Sydney beat Hawthorn in the 2012 GF while Buddy was at Hawthorn. He then joins Sydney and missed out on 2 premierships...one of those against Sydney. Although he's still won 2 premierships in his career, locked up a great contract and moved to Syd with his girlfriend...so OK i guess.

G Ablett missed out on Geelong's 2011 premiership and overall his years at GC were a waste.

Feel a bit for Deledio...hasn't won a premiership and after so much history with Richmond, they go on to win one without him straight away.

Brereton, McGuane, Sam Mitchell and Doug Hawkins all tried to extend careers at other clubs, so not really sure if it counts.

Actual trades that were doomed from the start were Fev, Croad and Wiz Capper.

Freo own this thread (aware that not all below were trades but majority were)

- John Anthony
- Cam McCarthy
- Shane Kersten
- Harley Bennell
- Colin Sylvia
- Nick Lower
- Jarrad Schofield
- Mark Johnson
- Des Headland
- Daniel Metropolis
- Ashley Prescott
- Stuart Anderson

+ a fair few others on their inaugural list like Todd Ridley etc.

Freo own this thread (aware that not all below were trades but majority were)

- John Anthony
- Cam McCarthy
- Shane Kersten
- Harley Bennell
- Colin Sylvia
- Nick Lower
- Jarrad Schofield
- Mark Johnson
- Des Headland
- Daniel Metropolis
- Ashley Prescott
- Stuart Anderson

+ a fair few others on their inaugural list like Todd Ridley etc.
I agree with this, to be fair Headland was ok at freo...

For the tigers the worst trade of the last 10 years would be Yarran

But the move wasn’t really worse for the player, as per the thread. Yarran was already in a bad way with his illness at Carlton. It’s just that they chose not to disclose it to his new club.

Richmond’s worst ever trade was unquestionably John Pitura, both for the club and the player.

What about players that made a smart move? I think Lachie Neale would be pretty happy with himself right now

Ruckmen moving clubs for more opportunity, money or going back home own this thread eg

Billy Longer
Robbie Warnock
Zac Smith
Matthew Leuneberger
Cameron Wood
Andrew Phillips
Matthew Lobbe

Etc etc etc

On this note, obviously it has time to play out, but I'm not sure why Brayden Preuss left the Kangaroos to be Max Gawn's back-up at Melbourne. If he went somewhere like the Bulldogs or St Kilda, he could have been their #1 ruckman from this year on.

Craig Turley
Chris Heffernan, Gary Moorcroft and Justin Blumfield also spring to mind.

Tom Gillies was another. Was somewhat rated at Geelong but behind the likes of Scarlett in the pecking order and was sought after by the Hawks who were pretty thin for KPD at the time. The trade fell through and he crossed to Melbourne as a DFA the following season he was never seen again after peak Apocalypse Neeld when we lost by 148 against the Dons at the G. Despite him copping a lot of hate I always felt sorry for Gillies.

I remember when Gillies was getting talked up as "the next Matthew Scarlett" early days at Geelong.

Another one who kind of got found out when seeking more opportunity outside of Geelong was Brent Prismall. Got spoken about as a star mid in waiting, without people realising/acknowledging that the vast majority of his touches were uncontested cheapies that came about largely through the Geelong ball-sharing system. At Essendon, he was shown to be a mid-paced plodder with little attacking flair, and being unable to win much of his own ball, he kind of found himself in no-man's land as a midfielder.

Brendan Fevola to the Lions owns this thread-
View attachment 687860
By extension to this, Daniel Bradshaw going to Sydney was another failed move. He wanted a longer contract than the year (I think) we were prepared to table after offering him up to Carlton as trade bait so he quit the Lions, got a three year offer at Sydney, and ended up only playing 9 games due to injury before retiring during the second year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back