Trading Guns - Who will it be?

Remove this Banner Ad

My favourite part is where he can't even bring himself to admit Brown is worth at least Melbourne's first pick, so phrases it as a question: would Melbourne give up their first pick?

He actually can't bring himself to admit that a 26yo key forward that has kicked 245 goals in 110 games, is averaging 60 goals a season for the past 2.5 years, and has the most bags of 5 or more goals of any player in the past 3 years is worth a first round pick? Let alone more than a first round pick? If Brown played for a "big" club Jay Clark would be fawning over how he was worth 4 first round picks. **** hack

Let's play a game:

JEREMY CAMERON, 26
Something has been missing in Melbourne’s forward half this season. Tom McDonald could do with another marking partner, and Cameron one of the league’s best. But would the Demons give up their first-round pick?

TOM HAWKINS, 30
Something has been missing in Melbourne’s forward half this season. Tom McDonald could do with another marking partner, and Hawkins is one of the league’s best. But would the Demons give up their first-round pick?

TOM LYNCH, 26
Something has been missing in Melbourne’s forward half this season. Tom McDonald could do with another marking partner, and Lynch is one of the league’s best. But would the Demons give up their first-round pick?

JOSHUA KENNEDY, 31
Something has been missing in Melbourne’s forward half this season. Tom McDonald could do with another marking partner, and Kennedy is one of the league’s best. But would the Demons give up their first-round pick?

Well those are some of his peers in the current goalkicking top 10. In fact 2 of them are the same age.

Wonder if ******* will write that about any of them?

Name me one "prospective" coach, that'd want to come to a club that's trading it's best players out!

42cad3b824f93b177bf986992e104197

A comfortable win this week and a very good showing v the Giants, and all this fire sale garbage will die down very quickly.

The garage sale talk shouldn't exist tbh, we beat a number of contenders last year. It is going to be our ability to play consistently and have the depth to cover losses which will be critical, I think having a less convoluted game plan will help. I hope our forensic evaluation into the footy department discovers ways to improve our youth development.

I wouldn't be shocked if we don't match a bid on Goldy if he gets a massive offer but I don't expect any significant movement of players, we are naturally going to lose Thompson, Higgins, Goldstein and Tarrant sooner or later due to their age and we have some decisions to make on Wright, Jacobs and Garner due to how much footy they miss being out injured constantly. I think Ahern is the only one who has been unfairly restricted in terms of game time but I can understand Shaw is reluctant to make changes to a side that has played well recently.

The garage sale talk shouldn't exist tbh, we beat a number of contenders last year. It is going to be our ability to play consistently and have the depth to cover losses which will be critical, I think having a less convoluted game plan will help. I hope our forensic evaluation into the footy department discovers ways to improve our youth development.

We are on the same page there Tas.:thumbsu:

I wouldn't be shocked if we don't match a bid on Goldy if he gets a massive offer........

I highly doubt Goldy would hold the club over a barrel like that in the first place.

He'd want a contract commensurate with his value to the club, and his resilience means we could look at going beyond single years. I'd have no probs with him getting ~550-600K/2years with a 3rd year option.

He'd be aware that it's about helping the club do everything it can to win a flag in his final years, and a few of the youngsters are going to be rightly expecting a pay rise.

Let's play a game:

JEREMY CAMERON, 26
Something has been missing in Melbourne’s forward half this season. Tom McDonald could do with another marking partner, and Cameron one of the league’s best. But would the Demons give up their first-round pick?

TOM HAWKINS, 30
Something has been missing in Melbourne’s forward half this season. Tom McDonald could do with another marking partner, and Hawkins is one of the league’s best. But would the Demons give up their first-round pick?

TOM LYNCH, 26
Something has been missing in Melbourne’s forward half this season. Tom McDonald could do with another marking partner, and Lynch is one of the league’s best. But would the Demons give up their first-round pick?

JOSHUA KENNEDY, 31
Something has been missing in Melbourne’s forward half this season. Tom McDonald could do with another marking partner, and Kennedy is one of the league’s best. But would the Demons give up their first-round pick?

Well those are some of his peers in the current goalkicking top 10. In fact 2 of them are the same age.

JOHN COLEMAN, 90 (dec.) - if Goodwin snuck down the cemetery in the dead of night and poured enough of the "good gear" he was injecting during his own time at the Bombers into his grave and managed to re-animate the great goal kickers corpse, he'd provide Tom McDonald with another marking partner. But would the Demons give up their first-round pick?

Oh, **** off. Plenty of great players are picked outside the top 10, and plenty of ordinary ones inside it. Nothing magic about that random cut off point. Also, why the **** would we lose players who are vital and also want to stay so we can get ******* second round draft picks? Tragically bad article.

This is why I never buy the Hun.

I’d be keeping the same strategy as last week, smash them on the inside, get numbers around the ball, so they can’t get it out.
So targeting their big inside guys first and foremost, Ziebell goes to swallow. I also like Jed on Martin, Cunnington on Miller? He’ll have a field day. I’d put turner on Weller and Marley on Harbrow.

But I’m also a bit old school, so I’d put a grand up for the player that hurts their co-Capts the most. So witts and swallow to have a miserable day.

Fiorini is the one to stop.

That Jay Clark, jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus.

A few actually footy brains - interestingly those who have played the game largely - have worked out that we absolutely smashed last year's draft.

Most rebuilds are based on killing one draft with guns at the first two picks and some solid solid players elsewhere.

Thomas, Scott, Taylor alone is the foundation of a rebuild.

Plus LDU, Simpkin, Larkey and Zurhaar. That's the last 3 drafts (plus Will W, if he ever plays,and Kyron Hayden might turn out to be good as well.) Probably include Ahern as an older recruit, stretch it to include Anderson and that's a core young group. Bloody hell...

Xerri? McKay? Even Durdin? Add them and suddenly all we need is a little work or luck with the spine and just add ... dare I say it ... organic growth.

If I was a coach next year I think I'd want to see what the list could do. We should have played finals this year and possibly the list is good enough to still do it if we get a bit of luck or the odd good break for a change. If I'm not Shaw then next year I want them to just go hard. Heaps of contracts end at the end of next year so its a good opportunity to see who has what and who wants what. If I was a coach and am Shaw next year then I've done enough right with these players that the next two years - seasons 2020/21 - are a potential premiership window while many of those names above get exposure and finals experience (and a few even get a flag if its done right.)

Let's play a game:

JEREMY CAMERON, 26

TOM HAWKINS, 30

TOM LYNCH, 26

JOSHUA KENNEDY, 31

The way Melbourne are going that's a top pick too.

so it should be:

But would the Demons give up one of this year's top 5 picks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back