Trading Guns - Who will it be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Love it. Proposes trading players then even concedes within the article that at least half of them are unlikely to leave.

Just quietly, only 2 of those players were drafted in the top 10. 1 of them was taken in the 3rd round and 1 of them was in a 4th round.

Remind me why we need to cash out the list for high picks again?

Its worked so well for Carlton!

after the giants game, I think this tread might need a title change.
Trading guns, who do we want.

A comfortable win this week and a very good showing v the Giants, and all this fire sale garbage will die down very quickly.

A comfortable win this week and a very good showing v the Giants, and all this fire sale garbage will die down very quickly.

I want those things to happen in the next two games.

I don't think we need a fire sale.

I do however think we need to be more creative in our list management than:

'one of them will come, he might not, but one of them will come'

Which I heard directly from the mouth of the man who was walking around with our open wallet throwing contracts at high end talent like it was rice at a wedding.

The big fish strategy has failed. We need a fresher look at things and that may very well come at the expense of entertaining an offer or 2(at the absolute outside) for someone we currently value.

It not as cut and dry as fire sale or retain everyone.

I want those things to happen in the next two games.

I don't think we need a fire sale.

I do however think we need to be more creative in our list management than:

'one of them will come, he might not, but one of them will come'

Which I heard directly from the mouth of the man who was walking around with our open wallet throwing contracts at high end talent like it was rice at a wedding.

The big fish strategy has failed. We need a fresher look at things and that may very well come at the expense of entertaining an offer or 2(at the absolute outside) for someone we currently value.

It not as cut and dry as fire sale or retain everyone.
We should take a very simple philosophy in the next few games, if you hurt them, they will come..
target JK make sure he knows he played us. Then ask the question of tarranto or Coniglio. Same thing goes with Jack Martin this week.

Last edited:
If Goldstein did secure a deal with a rival club the Roos would get some compensation for the departing free agent but his age - 31 in July - would count against them receiving a first-round pick.
Isn’t the compo based on the length and value of contract?..

oniglio. Same thing goes with Jack Martin this week.

GC look like getting a couple of very good players back this week (Miller & Harbrow).

Swallow is as hard as a cat's head, forget about him, Miles isn't damaging with ball in hand, so I reckon Miller is the one I would focus on stopping (JZ?) as I reckon he's their most damaging inside player.

Harbrow & Weller also provide a significant chunk of their rebounds.

Goldy is not going to have it all his own way this week either as Witts & Wright are a very good combo.

They won't be a walkover if we let them get in the game.

Isn’t the compo based on the length and value of contract?..
and player age:

COMPENSATION
A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.

Worth noting that if the AFL does not like the outcome they can change the formula so it fits their desired outcome!

and player age:

Worth noting that if the AFL does not like the outcome they can change the formula so it fits their desired outcome!
Of course they can and its usually the ‘big’ clubs that lick their lips in this instance.

I think most people have realised Jay Clark is so far off the mark with his North "content", that he's not to be taken seriously.

As some of us on here are aware, his Rawlings/Bell article is (after checking my messages) at least 11 days old, and in the circus that is the media, that's a long time to be off on a story, wether it's relevant or not.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GC look like getting a couple of very good players back this week (Miller & Harbrow).

Swallow is as hard as a cat's head, forget about him, Miles isn't damaging with ball in hand, so I reckon Miller is the one I would focus on stopping (JZ?) as I reckon he's their most damaging inside player.

Harbrow & Weller also provide a significant chunk of their rebounds.

Goldy is not going to have it all his own way this week either as Witts & Wright are a very good combo.

They won't be a walkover if we let them get in the game.
I’d be keeping the same strategy as last week, smash them on the inside, get numbers around the ball, so they can’t get it out.
So targeting their big inside guys first and foremost, Ziebell goes to swallow. I also like Jed on Martin, Cunnington on Miller? He’ll have a field day. I’d put turner on Weller and Marley on Harbrow.

But I’m also a bit old school, so I’d put a grand up for the player that hurts their co-Capts the most. So witts and swallow to have a miserable day.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Melbourne could trade Shaun Higgins to secure another prized top draft pick this year
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
15 minutes ago
Subscriber only
It’s a reflection on how much things have suddenly changed at North Melbourne.
Imagine saying to Shaun Higgins at the start of the season there was a chance he could be considering moving to a third club in October.

Huh? Back-to-back best and fairests, an All-Australian last year, the Kangaroos’ best ball-user, and vice-captain, Higgins was close to the club’s most important cog.
Arden St would have felt as homely as his grandmother’s house these past few years since leaving the Bulldogs as a free agent.

similars

But right now he is in the dark about his future, as the Roos wait to consult their next coach before the club decides how to best reposition its list.
The Kangas are undertaking “a strategic shift,” as former coach Brad Scott put it.
What that means specifically we won’t know until the new boss has his say.
331f262ca7711068a58446218320efd8
Would the Kangaroos look to trade Shaun Higgins? Picture: Michael Klein
But of all the list conundrums facing North Melbourne, Higgins’ situation is one of the most fascinating over the back half of the season.
He’s a gun, Higgins. A midfield jet who still cops the weekly tag.
The Geelong Falcons product has averaged 31 disposals and 10 contested possessions a game this season.
But what if Geelong or Hawthorn, or any other club in premiership contention, was willing to part with a second-round selection (like the Cats gave up for Gary Ablett at the same age) for the classy ball-user?
Or even the means to upgrade the Roos’ first pick (currently No. 5) into the top-two to land one of the outstanding midfield talents Matthew Rowell or Noah Anderson?
Geelong will likely need a midfield replacement for Tim Kelly and have been linked to Saint Jack Steven. The Hawks are also masters at this stuff.

And the Giants are confident Stephen Coniglio will stay.
For North Melbourne, it feels like all things will be considered by a club which has had only five top-10 picks in the last 12 national drafts.
They need more Sam Walsh types, some young stars who will mature into 200-game pillars.
Higgins turns 32 in March, and has showed no signs of slowing down so far this season.
He’s surely got three more good years left in him, and could capitalise like Ablett in the front half if he moves into more of a forward role.
Facing a similar situation last year, former Carlton captain Marc Murphy made the loyal call to stay at Ikon Park this season, and you admire him for it.
755317086cdd83785cd2bebb6a9545c0
North players celebrate with Rhyce Shaw after their win against Richmond. Picture: Getty Images

But the Blues are in a big pickle, now.
Carlton say they needed Murphy to stay for leadership and culture and to teach the youngsters and you would understand if the Roos wanted to keep Higgins for the same reasons.
But the Roos don’t have all the top-end talent that Carlton does.
If North’s new coach said the club would release Higgins for the right price, the midfielder could chase a premiership elsewhere.
A flag is probably out of the Kangas’ clutches over the next few years, as they look to net more elite young talent as part of the next phase of the rebuild.
It could be a mutually-beneficial parting. An unexpected one.
But possibly the right one.

908690c7e61d150452af2ca8a899ae97

WHO COULD NORTH MELBOURNE TRADE?

SHAUN HIGGINS, 31
Geelong would be a snug fit, while Hawthorn wants to bolster its midfield. North’s best player would surely attract a top-25 pick on the trade table.

BEN BROWN, 26
Something has been missing in Melbourne’s forward half this season. Tom McDonald could do with another marking partner, and Brown is one of the league’s best. But would the Demons give up their first-round pick?

BEN CUNNINGTON, 27
Fifth in the AFLCA awards, Cunnington is finally getting the recognition he deserves. Probably has the most currency but would be the least likely of the Roos’ senior core to want to switch clubs.
966de56a6845ddfce5f232ba05bb1de0
Ben Cunnington would command a high price on the trade table. Picture: AAP Images

TODD GOLDSTEIN, 30
Essendon is the club on the lookout for more ruck support and, as a free agent, the Bombers would not have to give up anything at the trade table. A decent deal could earn the Roos second-round draft compensation.

ROBBIE TARRANT, 30
The Roos are already struggling for key position depth so would be reluctant to part with Tarrant unless it was an outstanding deal.

JACK ZIEBELL, 28
North Melbourne captain would be a long-shot to depart.
Can someone advise me how many senior or over 30 players the likes of West Coast, Collingwood and Geelong have. Even Hawthorn. Anyone?

You go back through any premiership team. Any premiership team and history will tell you that most had a plethora of players over 30.

The notion that having too many veterans on the list is poor only applies to clubs like ours.

When will the shitcampaigner journos that have access to the lists of each club understand that you need balance to be successful.

We are either deemed too young or too old. Never a genuine contender.

Sadly we all know too well what stories like this does to our external image but * we can’t control the s**t that gets said.

We keep doing us North and let the vermin of the world die off into irrelevancy.

Can someone advise me how many senior or over 30 players the likes of West Coast, Collingwood and Geelong have. Even Hawthorn. Anyone?

You go back through any premiership team. Any premiership team and history will tell you that most had a plethora of players over 30.

The notion that having too many veterans on the list is poor only applies to clubs like ours.

When will the shitcampaigner journos that have access to the lists of each club understand that you need balance to be successful.

We are either deemed too young or too old. Never a genuine contender.

Sadly we all know too well what stories like this does to our external image but **** we can’t control the **** that gets said.

We keep doing us North and let the vermin of the world die off into irrelevancy.

Either it's a deliberate sledging campaign or just the damnation of being eternally mid-table.

To be fair to the generally apathetic critics we've achieved 1 top 4 H&A placing and 2 top 4 finals placings in 19 years. But we haven't racked up a contingent of tanking picks to present the illusion of some untapped resources. Anytime the media have warmed to us we've generally proceeded to s**t the bed.

It really doesn't matter. No one was jacking off about Geelong in the 2005-6 period nor Hawthorn in the 2005-6 or 2010-11 periods yet both were bees dicks away from success.

Love it. Proposes trading players then even concedes within the article that at least half of them are unlikely to leave.

Just quietly, only 2 of those players were drafted in the top 10. 1 of them was taken in the 3rd round and 1 of them was in a 4th round.

Remind me why we need to cash out the list for high picks again?

My favourite part is where he can't even bring himself to admit Brown is worth at least Melbourne's first pick, so phrases it as a question: would Melbourne give up their first pick?

He actually can't bring himself to admit that a 26yo key forward that has kicked 245 goals in 110 games, is averaging 60 goals a season for the past 2.5 years, and has the most bags of 5 or more goals of any player in the past 3 years is worth a first round pick? Let alone more than a first round pick? If Brown played for a "big" club Jay Clark would be fawning over how he was worth 4 first round picks. **** hack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back