Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
What the F?

Let's ignore the actual package (on VC level of shyness)

What the hell were the kings thinking? They mortgaged the future to bring in a support cast. Now the things been ripped under then. When did they exactly decide "enough's enough we need to push him out"

Surely with a other year to go teams would of taken a chance on a rental of cousins.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Lots of references to character and culture. Pretty big risk resting your entire franchise on a guy like Cousins.
Whats the best chance of winning a ring though? Without Cousins its essentially 0 for the next 5 years. With Cousins it was atleast 1-5% with another all star and a good supporting cast. Rebuild is fine but they got jipped hard.

Lots of references to character and culture. Pretty big risk resting your entire franchise on a guy like Cousins.
Ty Lawson arrested 4 times for drink driving
Darren Collisions suspended for domestic violence
Matt Barnes
Rajon Rondo

Worst thing is they probably got the best deal. No one else really has the assets unless you're a team who's not making the play offs ( doubt boogie resigns with a team like that next season) Boston the only likely one or possibly Chicago but both wouldn't risk Cousins.

I think the Kings did one of the worst trades ever. A 27 and 10 big man who i consider a top 10 player in the league, for a injury ruined Tyreke Evans, a 4 year college player in buddy Hield (not that there's anything wrong with it but you would presume that if your that good you would apply for the draft a couple years earlier, but he hasn't shown a lot, a 2017 top 3 protected pick (probably be around pick 15), a second round pick (oh wow cool) and Langston Galloway (decent bench player but nothing more). All I'm saying is that the Kings got bent over and royally f****d.

I think the Kings did one of the worst trades ever. A 27 and 10 big man who i consider a top 10 player in the league, for a injury ruined Tyreke Evans, a 4 year college player in buddy Hield (not that there's anything wrong with it but you would presume that if your that good you would apply for the draft a couple years earlier, but he hasn't shown a lot, a 2017 top 3 protected pick (probably be around pick 15), a second round pick (oh wow cool) and Langston Galloway (decent bench player but nothing more). All I'm saying is that the Kings got bent over and royally f****d.

Cousins wasn't winning them anything ever. Or even taking them to the playoffs. And by all reports has been cancer to younger team mates. They pretty much get an extra top 10 pick out of it now to. As they won't win many from here on and will keep there pick.

I think you will find that the kings were happy to get bent over so they didn't have to pay 220 mil for a guy that will never win them s**t. That's the bigger picture. Atleast they got something, cause I don't think one else would of payed much more for him

The reality is they weren't going anywhere with Cousins but the team was too good to really improve via the lottery. They were stuck in no-mans-land finishing just outside the playoffs - albeit with a terrible record - that almost ensured they didn't end up with a top five pick.

It's better to finish last for a couple of seasons than to finished 9th or 10th in your conference. Hinkie was right about that. If you think about it like that this was a brilliant trade because the Kings' roster as it is currently constructed would be lucky to win another game.

Had they stuck with Cousins they were looking at a 5-year super-max contract that would have made Cousins all but unmovable. It was a sound decision to avoid that.

As for the Pelicans I think it's a good move. They now have the two best centres in the league; they appear to complement each other reasonably well; both can shoot from outside and work off the block; they both draw fouls at a high rate. I'm also glad that we will see a little bit of difference in style - could the Pelicans find success playing bully-ball? I'd certainly like to find out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reality is they weren't going anywhere with Cousins but the team was too good to really improve via the lottery. They were stuck in no-mans-land finishing just outside the playoffs - albeit with a terrible record - that almost ensured they didn't end up with a top five pick.

It's better to finish last for a couple of seasons than to finished 9th or 10th in your conference. Hinkie was right about that. If you think about it like that this was a brilliant trade because the Kings' roster as it is currently constructed would be lucky to win another game.

Hinkie was a god damn fortune teller nabbing the Kings pick 19!

I'll get into the actual package second part But

God damn Divac. I mean i want to absolutely rag on him but i feel a combination of Divac/Vivek was horrific.

Cut to 2014. Roster was "Ok" Biggest need was a Good point guard. Elfrid Payton was the recruiters pick, Over-ruled by Vivek for Nik

2015- the worse trade Kings made (Worse then DMC) where they sent off Nik Stauskas/J Thompson/Landry to shed salary. For a First round pick UNPROTECTED

Lets Ignore DMC for potato chips. This was one of the worst trades you could make. Thats in league with the Brooklyn picks. Sac we're clearing space to sign a F/A. before they had even any wind of anything

Now cut it to maybe the start of the year. DMC is a dickhead, sure. However With it looking like unless they fell apart Chicago was getting their first, So they'll end up with something 4-10, Something else about 10-18. Erase the shitty chicago pick, It had to be done this year. It's a great draft. Buddy Hield's a decent young player (hold up) so they got some OK value

That leaves them with two first round picks and a highly rated SG. so look at it as two first rounders +Player. They needed to do this now

Divac's 2015 trade was abhorrent, He's loudly stated he wanted DMC to stay publicly and that makes his word Dirt in the NBA for free agent. I won't blast him but From the culture at the Kings its clear nobody above or beside him were going to say "But what if this highly immature center/franchise player we have leaves?

I think it was the kings right to pull the pin on DMC. they had clearly internally said yeah we've had enough. However what worries me is that Vivek has over-ruled Scouts before. Even in this TRADE they haven't looked at the best package. They've been cornered into being very secretive, trying to get 2-3 teams to quietly bid without letting the league know. This is clearly Divac's fault for emphaticly saying we're not trading DMC. If he would come out and say "not likely" privately told his agent/player "We want to keep you but long term if something comes up we have to do the best thing by the franchise" No they backed themself into a corner

"You just got played"

For the trade

Pissweak. Hield is what i think is a back-up SG. I will bet anything Vivek has not scouted him as heavily as he should to call him Curry potential. The guy can shoot the 3 and is a very good FT shooter, thats where the comparisons end.

For a full re-build you need to do whats best for your team, They had a better offer, which DMC's agents said "He probably wont re-sign" making the team immediately yank it back, again, Divac has to own this because it's his fault he's pissed off DMC, and his agent

Rumoured trades Andre Drummond+First, Kings said no, Alex Len/Warren/First round, Kings said no, Lakers However the fact they didnt throw in Ingram kings said no

So they end up back with their first rounder, and NO's first rounder, and I have no confidence in the team to make the right picks. So at best case they end up with Malik Monk, Get a top 3 pick the year after and have to build around that

Ouch

Cousins wasn't winning them anything ever. Or even taking them to the playoffs. And by all reports has been cancer to younger team mates. They pretty much get an extra top 10 pick out of it now to. As they won't win many from here on and will keep there pick.

I think you will find that the kings were happy to get bent over so they didn't have to pay 220 mil for a guy that will never win them s**t. That's the bigger picture. Atleast they got something, cause I don't think one else would of payed much more for him
They actually had a better offer from the lakers. But the kings owner or someone high up in the kings organisation thinks buddy hield will be the next Steph curry. It's no one else's fault but the kings that they waited this long. If they hadve traded him a year ago he would've had a ridiculous amount of currency.

They actually had a better offer from the lakers. But the kings owner or someone high up in the kings organisation thinks buddy hield will be the next Steph curry. It's no one else's fault but the kings that they waited this long. If they hadve traded him a year ago he would've had a ridiculous amount of currency.

Interested in what the offer from the Lakers was? Pretty sure Ingram wasn't involved and that's who the kings wanted. I agree it would of been best to move him a season ago. Trading him at the deadline was always going to go for unders..

Actually that's what I find funny. Why they moved him 3 days ago and not tomorrow or when ever the dead line is. Interesting.

Interested in what the offer from the Lakers was? Pretty sure Ingram wasn't involved and that's who the kings wanted. I agree it would of been best to move him a season ago. Trading him at the deadline was always going to go for unders..

Actually that's what I find funny. Why they moved him 3 days ago and not tomorrow or when ever the dead line is. Interesting.

Had a lot to do with the All Star game being in Nawlins (thanks Charlotte for being insensitive jerks) and Dell being able to meet face to face with Vlade to talk turkey.

Vivek was also watching the rookie game where Buddy scored 28 points, further solidifying his raging hard on for the Bahamian.

The rest, as they say, is history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back